IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Magnetos and mechanical fuel injection
4/26/11, 11:47 AM   #1
Magnetos and mechanical fuel injection
bmwbob

I am about to get involved with vintage racing in a midget with a magneto and Hilborn injection on a Chevy 2 engine.
From working with some of the other guys running this equipment, I know that the knowledge base is pretty thin in these areas.
I HATE "black boxes"! I really want to understand how to set up and trouble shoot these devices.
Can anyone suggest good books, websites, videos or whatever dealing with the care and feeding of these systems?
We have WAY too many cars dropping out of races due to problems with one or the other of these systems in the midgets, and I want to be a part of the solution, not the problem.
I've worn out my web browser seeking meaningful info and have found none so far.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Bob Cowgill
Mims, Florida

4/26/11, 12:30 PM   #2
Re: Magnetos and mechanical fuel injection
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob View Post
I am about to get involved with vintage racing in a midget with a magneto and Hilborn injection on a Chevy 2 engine.
From working with some of the other guys running this equipment, I know that the knowledge base is pretty thin in these areas.
I HATE "black boxes"! I really want to understand how to set up and trouble shoot these devices.
Can anyone suggest good books, websites, videos or whatever dealing with the care and feeding of these systems?
We have WAY too many cars dropping out of races due to problems with one or the other of these systems in the midgets, and I want to be a part of the solution, not the problem.
I've worn out my web browser seeking meaningful info and have found none so far.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Bob Cowgill
Mims, Florida
Forgive me if, I fail to understand the question. I haven't had any trouble locating the info I need, putting it to use is sometimes questionable, but both systems have been around for decades, and have changed very little. Believe it or not, there are still qualified people, who make a living repairing and setting up these systems, and, if you are savvy enough to separate the BS from the facts, there are actually people who understand these systems, and can help you resolve most of your problems. Not everyone is a rocket scientist, but this stuff is pretty basic, challenging maybe, but not to the point it is a mystery. I've been fooling with Hilborn, since Stu began supplying it for go-kart applications, and was aware of it back in the Flathead days, but only in the past 15yrs, have I became introduced to the multi cyl applications of my own. The big problem, as I see it, is being able to correctly diagnose what the problem is, and for that, you need some instrumentation on the car itself, oil/water temp, oil pressure of course, and I like to run a voltmeter, to keep tabs on the battery, if you have one, and, sometimes a fuel pressure gauge can lead you to another symptom, but most often, it's being able to open the correct can of worms. Yes, I'll admit, I see a lot of dropouts from both systems, but as an old racer once told me, preparation is 90% of the battle, and luck the other 10%. Bob

4/27/11, 7:54 AM   #3
bmwbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Forgive me if, I fail to understand the question. I haven't had any trouble locating the info I need, putting it to use is sometimes questionable, but both systems have been around for decades, and have changed very little. Believe it or not, there are still qualified people, who make a living repairing and setting up these systems, and, if you are savvy enough to separate the BS from the facts, there are actually people who understand these systems, and can help you resolve most of your problems. Not everyone is a rocket scientist, but this stuff is pretty basic, challenging maybe, but not to the point it is a mystery. I've been fooling with Hilborn, since Stu began supplying it for go-kart applications, and was aware of it back in the Flathead days, but only in the past 15yrs, have I became introduced to the multi cyl applications of my own. The big problem, as I see it, is being able to correctly diagnose what the problem is, and for that, you need some instrumentation on the car itself, oil/water temp, oil pressure of course, and I like to run a voltmeter, to keep tabs on the battery, if you have one, and, sometimes a fuel pressure gauge can lead you to another symptom, but most often, it's being able to open the correct can of worms. Yes, I'll admit, I see a lot of dropouts from both systems, but as an old racer once told me, preparation is 90% of the battle, and luck the other 10%. Bob
I will grant you that there are obviously folks around who have a pretty good grasp of what it takes to keep cars with mags and mechanical F.I. alive, because THEIR cars are running well.
What I am seeing in the very small puddle of vintage racers I am in contact with is this: At a given event, X number of cars are trailered in and attempt to run.
Of those, as much as 50% at times fail to complete even the first practice session with trouble directly related to either the mag or the FI system.
I have talked to numerous folks, and listened in silence as the ones with the difficulties attempted to diagnose their problems. From that, I have determined that whatever pool of knowledge exists in these areas is either not being freely shared with those who most desperately need it, or is non-existent.
So, I restate my original question:
Can anyone suggest authoritative material, whether in written, audio, or video form that can take a novice like myself to a level of understanding about the care and feeding of magneto ignitions and mechanical fuel injection systems that will equip me to have a fighting chance of doing something more entertaining than spending my entire time at the track blindly fumbling around my ill-performing car?
Bob

4/27/11, 9:42 AM   #4
wheelnut

Best to have your pump flowed and set up by an expert
Maybe someone can give Bob a lesson in setting up the mettering block (leak down)

Also a tip clean and empty your fuel system and oil it up after each weekends run because it maybe a while till your next run and methanol is nasty stuff

Another tip make plenty of friends in your club so that plenty of guys to go to for help
Rember win loose or draw a good fun time will always be had
a bad day at the track beats a day sitting at home

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:42 PM ----------

And I forgot to add if it has wheels or **** its designed to give you trouble
so go forth and enjoy!!!

4/27/11, 11:21 AM   #5
TQ29m

Bob, I suspect the biggest problem is prevention, and having good stuff to begin with, we all aren't "equipped" with the magic it takes to keep a vintage piece ready to go at any moment. Proper storage is a must, dampness and moisture are the worst enemy of anything mechanical. Lord only knows the number of parts in these vintage machines, that this effects, certainly the fuel system, and electrical are the most vulnerable, and how often they are put to test has a big influence on whether or not they will fail, and to what degree. Magneto's should be kept DRY, and putting a plastic bag over one, is probably the worst thing you can do to store it, and the fuel system, always use fresh fuel, if you're using gas, put Stabil in it, if it's alcohol, put Klotz upperlube in it, I let mine set out one whole winter, in the trailer, and had no problems with the fuel system, but bad fuel will wash all the good luck away in a hurry, buy yourself an alcohol hydrometer, and ck the fuel you put in it, that will certainly help, and if possible, even if you don't start the engine, disengage the fuel pump, and circulate the fuel thru the system once in a while, just disconnect the fuel lines, and let them flow into a pan, then throw that fuel away. Call Hilborn, they have a book on fuel injection, and how it works, could answer some questions. I'd say at least 90% of the problems people have, after they get to a meet, could have been found long before they loaded up to go. There is a lot of info out there, and a lot of it hasn't been written, but a good plan for maintenance will go a long way toward a happy weekend at the track! Bob

4/27/11, 8:37 PM   #6
dant

Speedway motors sells a vertex mag repair manual..hilborn sells a video..it was on youtube

4/28/11, 4:24 AM   #7
Larryoracing

Bob,

Found this link to vintage magnetos.

http://www.magnetoparts.com/mag_docs.htm

You need to find somebody to work on your car, that has a dyno to put your whole car on and let them get you car dialed in.

It will cost a lot of money, but at least it will be running...lol!

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. That is what we do. Honestly.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Magnetos and mechanical fuel injection