IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hearing USAC Sprints back to Sun Prairie in 2012..
12/1/11, 11:46 PM   #1
Hearing USAC Sprints back to Sun Prairie in 2012..
staggerman

Have heard from various sources that USAC Sprints are coming back to Sun Prairie in 2012. I know they tried this a few times several years back. Haven't heard a date yet but hopefully they could at least get 2 shows in WI with all the tracks around in Southeast WI.

12/2/11, 12:35 AM   #2
Re: Hearing USAC Sprints back to Sun Prairie in 20
Stealth87

Would really love to see this! Not the best track for non-winged sprints but you cannot really find a track with more open wheel history than Angell Park. Its too bad non winged open wheel racing is not thriving in Wisconsin as northern WI has some of the best dirt tracks you will find anywhere in the country. I know of a few that would put on some jaw dropping non winged shows...

12/2/11, 9:06 AM   #3
Seadog

I was at the Angell Park USAC Sprint/Badger Midget race in 2002. It was hotter than hell and the track was dry slick. They carried people out on stretchers it was so hot. But it was a great time. I think I remember Hewitt clearing the fence in 3 that Sunday night.

Tony Stewart stayed at the same motel we stayed at.

12/2/11, 3:56 PM   #4
dirtball

I'll go, but not a good sprint car track in my opinion.

12/2/11, 6:30 PM   #5
Pat O'Connor Fan

huggy-pole, follow-the-leader when I saw USAC sprints there

12/2/11, 10:36 PM   #6
TNRustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I was at the Angell Park USAC Sprint/Badger Midget race in 2002. It was hotter than hell and the track was dry slick. They carried people out on stretchers it was so hot. But it was a great time. I think I remember Hewitt clearing the fence in 3 that Sunday night.
I was there too and yeah it was miserably hot. Really good midget racing, sprints were ok. And you are correct about Hewitt clearing the fence in 3. All things considered, still a good night at the races!

1 member likes this post: Seadog
12/3/11, 8:35 AM   #7
Tief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post

Tony Stewart stayed at the same motel we stayed at.
The weather in '02 was a big factor in the poor track. Usually the track holds moisture very well. Given the right conditions I think it could be an outstanding race. Granted not as fast as on a 1/2 mile.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
12/3/11, 9:55 AM   #8
cmiracingvids

I was there in 02 as well. I recall JJ Yeley winning it. I remember it was the first time in my life I saw a wheelie from a sprint car on what was basically asphalt for a track. They were smokin the tires in the feature. Yeley was in a TWISTER chassis. And I was amazed he was pulling wheelie coming off 4. Angell Park is still one of the best tracks for midget racing though. Maybe the could bring POWRi micros and midgets there instead of USAC sprints. Just a thought.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/3/11, 4:36 PM   #9
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
I was there in 02 as well. I recall JJ Yeley winning it. I remember it was the first time in my life I saw a wheelie from a sprint car on what was basically asphalt for a track. They were smokin the tires in the feature. Yeley was in a TWISTER chassis. And I was amazed he was pulling wheelie coming off 4. Angell Park is still one of the best tracks for midget racing though. Maybe the could bring POWRi micros and midgets there instead of USAC sprints. Just a thought.

Posted via Mobile Device
POWRI and Badger ran a combo show last year. Hopefully it will be back on the schedule also in 2012.

1 member likes this post: dirtball
12/4/11, 3:37 AM   #10
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I raced a midget in that event. For some odd reason the firemen allowed Gerry Olsen to have a say in track prep for that and he had it sheep's footed and hard as a brick, very unlike Angell Park. I had my lone spin of the season that hot afternoon in time trials. I hope they try this again except without Olsen and start much later, possibly as a stand alone if they have to to have a good track. If they do that look out people!

1 member likes this post: dirtball
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hearing USAC Sprints back to Sun Prairie in 2012..