IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's too young?
12/5/16, 11:19 PM   #1
What's too young?
MIracing

http://tjslideways.com/2016/12/05/sc...acing-in-2017/

I came across this article today. A 13 year old racing full time in 410 winged sprints. Lastly year, he raced 1000cc Lightning sprints snd before that believe go karts or quarter midgets.

At first, 13 just seems young to me. A middle schooler racing men in full sized sprints. I know this might not be unheard of but had me wondering. How young is too young? Let's not even say for your kid. In general, what age limit would you put for 410 racing wing or non wing regardless of prior experience.

12/5/16, 11:20 PM   #2
PIT CART

How old was Jeff Gordon when he was racing sprints?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
12/5/16, 11:59 PM   #3
trannyman

How old?

12/6/16, 12:17 AM   #4
treecitytornado

Gordon was 13 when he started in Sprint Cars.

2 members like this post: jdull99, jim goerge
12/6/16, 12:21 AM   #5
Re: What's too young?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Gordon attempted to start a couple all star races at the end of the year when he was thirteen.

Tyler Reddick ran a LM a lot when he was 13

Too young? Many have almost ten years racing at that age. But that I don't think should be the determining factor. Can they hold a line, Do they lose their cool? do they do stupid stuff? There's some 30 year olds that can't

The answer to me is I don't know. I remember a bunch of todays USAC stars running some of the tracks in sprinters when they were 14-15 and most of them did well.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
12/6/16, 5:24 AM   #6
hoscalecody

I personally (a 19 year old racing a Lightning Sprint going on 4th or 5th year racing anything started in lightning sprints) think for Sprint cars 410ci 18 years old with a minimum 4-5 years of racing something bigger then a kart. 305-360ci 16 years old minimum of 3 year racing something bigger then a kart. I know a lot of people disagree with me but oh well.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 12/6/16 at 5:30 AM.

4 members like this post: bmsracing11, fish, jdull99, Tony74
12/6/16, 8:23 AM   #7
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

This discussion was going on a couple of years ago when he wanted to start racing Lightening Sprints. They had to bend/ignore the rules for him to race. He's a good driver, holds his line well, and seems to hold his cool under pressure. That's all well and good. But how much can a 13 year old body withstand in a major impact compared to an adult? That's my issue, which was totally ignored by all involved.

Bill

8 members like this post: captrat, Daddyz, erich45, hoscalecody, jdull99, MIracing, Tony74, trannyman
12/6/16, 10:02 AM   #8
Daddyz

There's a lot of new information coming out about concussions in adolescents, mostly from football studies. Kids have a higher chance of having long lasting effects from brain injuries that adults do. For that reason alone I think it's time to start considering caution when putting younger drivers in the big cars. I'm not suggesting a ban, but I would like to see an effort from crews and families of younger drivers (in any series, but especially the bigger cars) to take the time to learn how to recognize the symptoms. I would be all for a 'concussion protocol' for young drivers that are in a serious impact be cleared by a doctor before returning to action.

2 members like this post: erich45, jdull99
12/6/16, 10:07 AM   #9
Backitin

When your old enough to get a job (i.e. paper route ect.) and help out with the car.
We wouldn't want any spoiled youngsters out there right, lol.

12/6/16, 11:01 AM   #10
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

How old was ARCA Champ Chase Briscoe?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's too young?