IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint & Midget Week Ideas & Schedules
6/22/10, 11:54 PM   #1
Sprint & Midget Week Ideas & Schedules
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

On DO's show this past Monday he talked briefly how Ohio Speedweek was nine days in a row of racing with no days off. He said his feeling were USAC should mimic the Ohio deal and make Midget & Sprintweek seven consecutive nights.

I know this would be hard on many of the lower buck teams, but would definitely separate the men from the boys. I also think it would help persuade many travelers (fans) to come to Indiana for the whole week instead of just picking one weekend over the other.

If midget week was to expand, what tracks would you like to see added? If you could wave your magic wand and make the promoters agree, which order of tracks would you like to see them and what day would you start the week with and why? What other ideas do you have to help grow these events?

My picks for Midget Week:
Sunday - Kokomo
Monday - Gas City
Tuesday - Putnamville
Wednesday - Paragon
Thursday - North Vernon
Friday - Bloomington
Saturday - Tri-State (Hut 100?)

The support class for Midget Week should be Traditional Sprintcars with heats, one consi & feature. I'd prefer no stockcar class, however if they must, then it should be one stockcar class with a feature only, no heats, to be run during down time for midgets & sprints.

Also, come up with some kind of point system that breaks ties. There shouldn't be co-champions in a deal as prestigious as Midget Week!

My picks for Sprint Week:
Sunday - Kokomo
Monday - Gas City
Tuesday - Lawrenceburg
Wednesday - Putnamville
Thursday - Terre Haute
Friday - Bloomington
Saturday - Tri-State

I know I'll piss off all you bomber fans, but there should be NO support class for Sprint Week. A series with so much history and excitement doesn't need a support division. If the hosting track can't make one of the must see events in all of racing without a support class, then they shouldn't host such an event at their track!

In both weeks I started with Kokomo because most people are not going to miss the race there and I ended with Haubstadt for the same reason. You know, start with a bang and end with a bang!

I didn't have Terre Haute and Larryburg on the midget schedule because of how hard those places are on the midget motors, but they're a must see for Sprintcars.

Have at it my friends. I look forward to your thoughts. (i think)

6/23/10, 2:24 AM   #2
kylecumminsfan

I would like to see midget week expanded to 7 races.
Thur. Gas city
Fri. North Vernon
Sat. Lawrenceburg
Sun. Kokomo
Fri. Bloomington
Sat. Putnamville
Sun. Tri state

I really hope tri state gets a midget week race next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

6/23/10, 6:49 AM   #3
Re: Sprint & Midget Week Ideas & Schedules
hoosierhillbilly

I always thought the midget week thing could be done in Indiana and (gasp) Illinois. Work with Powri to run a few nights in Illinois and then over to Indiana.

6/23/10, 7:13 AM   #4
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Here would be my picks for both Midget week & sprint week. 8 days at different tracks.

Sprint Week

Thursday-Twin Cities
Friday-Lawrenceburg
Saturday-Gas City
Sunday-Kokomo
Wednesday-Terre Haute
Thursday-Brownstown
Friday-Bloomington
Saturday-Tri State

Midget Week

Thursday-Montpelier
Friday-Gas City
Saturday-Lincoln Park
Sunday-Kokomo
Wednesday-Paragon
Thursday-Brownstown
Friday-Bloomington
Saturday-Tri State

I think Monpelier would be a great addition for midget week. They will need to add more seating if they would ever intend to host a sprint week show.

I would keep the break between weeks to allow all teams a chance to freshen equipment, do normal maintenance & get some rest. This would also allow fans to have some free time to visit places in the Hoosier state. Also, some fans can only make it for one week or the other so don't make it tough on them by not allowing them the opportunity. JMO.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/23/10, 9:33 AM   #5

2 weekends makes perfect sence to me. Give drivers a chance to fix something. I think several of you retired guys forget about the people and drivers who have to work. My schedule puts some double duty tracks back into the equation to save everyone money.

Thursday: Gas City
Friday: Gas City
Saturday: LPS
Sunday: Kokomo

2nd weekend:
Thursday: Pargon or Haubstaut
Friday: Bloomington
Saturday: L-burge
Sunday L-burge

Gas City and the Burg are not my favorite tracks, but they are the best equiped tracks to handle duel nights imo.

As for the comments on what the trcks should run as filler.... I really dont care what you run. YOU are the one paying the rediculouse fee's for USAC to come in, so do what ever you have to do to turn a profiet.

6/23/10, 10:55 AM   #6
RGardner

Only problem with two weekends is that people that are there for vacation they would have 4 days of nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

6/23/10, 12:03 PM   #7
buck2

Here's my take on the Midget Week portion of this thread:
I agree that Lawrenceburg and Terre Haute should not be in the Midget Week schedule. Too hard on equipment. Haubstadt would be the perfect replacement. Montpelier would be a good track but I hear that the management and promotion is unstable.
The Hut Hundred needs to stay at Haubstadt, but not be included in Midget Week.
Five nights of racing is plenty for midget teams. Most of us don't have the budget for personnel and travel expenses to do more, plus we don't have the depth of spare parts. Even those of us who penny pinch can spend $3 to $4K to do Midget Week and while I'm not complaining about spending the money, it does take a while to "save up" to be able to go race again.
I like the idea of starting on Wednesday and racing through Sunday so you just have to take a week off work.

6/23/10, 12:43 PM   #8
Nut'n but Dirt

Obviously you don't own a team and have to work on these cars if they happen to get crashed the night before. Also, sometimes its hard gathering up parts. It helps to have a little time between races to get everything done. If you have too many in a row, your car counts will go down as teams try to get everything fixed, and I've heard nothing but ******** about that on here. I think sprint week the way it is set up this year gives us enough time. Thanks, Carla Phillips

6/23/10, 2:11 PM   #9
Dyno Don

Any track that runs more than one support series should not be part of Sprint or Midget weeks.

If USAC had any hangy down things, they would not let this happen.

Gas City and Bloomington put on great shows, ran in an effiecent manner, with no BS.

Tell me, how can Bloomington prepare a track that will last the entire evening and other tracks can not? Bloomington as got to be the best run short track in Indiana.

2 members like this post: bigq11, Eric Thompson II
6/23/10, 3:01 PM   #10
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
Any track that runs more than one support series should not be part of Sprint or Midget weeks.

If USAC had any hangy down things, they would not let this happen.

Gas City and Bloomington put on great shows, ran in an effiecent manner, with no BS.

Tell me, how can Bloomington prepare a track that will last the entire evening and other tracks can not? Bloomington as got to be the best run short track in Indiana.
I think Bloomington's dirt looks a little more red than the others
I have seen this track turn into black slick huggie pole

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint & Midget Week Ideas & Schedules