IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trouble getting 600 mini to start
2/7/12, 11:22 AM   #1
Trouble getting 600 mini to start
hotracer11f

Hey everyone, we are new to mini sprints with this being the first car we've had. Im hoping soneone could help me with figuring out why i cant get the car to start.When I initially bought the car it started without issue. It has sat in the garage for about two weeks now, and I decided to fire it up for a few minuets to let all the fluids circulate. This is where I've run into trouble. It will sit and crank with an occasional exhaust pop, but won't take fire. If it were a v8 I'd say it was out of time. I don't know enough about these little motors to say that's the problem though. It's getting plenty of fuel to the carbs, and the plugs are wet when I pulled them. Any thoughts on what or where I've gone wrong here? It's a 600 Suzuki GSXR if that helps any. Thanks Dave

Posted via Mobile Device

2/7/12, 11:48 AM   #2
Re: Trouble getting 600 mini to start
Colin25

check and make sure you have all your plugs plugged up these motors are very sensative and one thing off it wont run. also you can check your coils and make sure that you are getting spark. if this doesnt work message me back.

2/7/12, 2:22 PM   #3
TQ29m

Gas or alky?

2/7/12, 2:37 PM   #4
darnall

If it's alky theres a good chance something has plugged up with that nasty alky powder....other wise experience has shown me that the 600 motors are pretty sensitive to battery strength...if the battery is weak it may be pulling all it's juice to crank it and not giving enough juice to the ignition to get good spark...and lots of times even though it's cranking it isn't spinning fast enough to start it.....try putting it in neutral and push starting it with a 4 wheeler or a bigger riding mower...get it rolling and pull er into 2nd gear....I had a micro with a Honda F-3 engine many years ago and it would never start at the track without pushing it the first time...after it fired from a pushstart once and warmed up somewhat and charged the battery it would start every time with no problem the rest of the night but the 1st start always had to come from a push...and it would fire immediately when i droppped it in gear.

2/7/12, 5:17 PM   #5
chitwnvols

try squirting a little gas in each carb - starts faster with gas

2/7/12, 5:24 PM   #6
D.L. 122

Had a yamaha with the same problem.... take it to a motorcycle shop for a diagnostic it costs about 75 to a 100 dollars but its worth it. Possibly the valves need re-shimmed.

2/8/12, 12:53 PM   #7
hotracer11f

Got home last night and checked every wire connection. Every thing seemed tight with the exception of the battery connection. I went ahead and replaced the stainless battery bolts with brass just to play it safe and snugged it all up. Put a lil squirt of gas down each carb and tried again.......... Same as before, only now she turns over faster. I did notice however, that the fuel pressure is at 6psi. That seems a bit high to me. Could it be flooding it self with that much pressure? Also the TOS seem to have been poorly bypassed by siliconeing up the factory wire loom plug. Could that be playing any part in my problem?

Posted via Mobile Device

2/8/12, 4:47 PM   #8
KDM

How warn is it in the garage?

All of our GSXR's always had to be warm to start.

We would have to put a heater on them even in the shop in the winter.

We were on injection.

Just a thought to try.

Do you pickle it each time after you have had it running?(run it in gas)

Dave

2/8/12, 5:40 PM   #9
hotracer11f

Shop isn't heated, but stays about 10 degrees warmer than outside. I have thought about a heater but wasn't sure.

Now, being new to these little cars..... I have no idea what you mean by "pickle it". Your gonna have to fill me in thanks do much to every one for the help.

Posted via Mobile Device

2/8/12, 8:10 PM   #10
TQ29m

You still haven't answered the question, is it on gas or alcohol? If it's on gas, no need to put any additive in it, except Sta-Bil, cause gas goes bad real fast anymore, especially E85 or Ethenol. To "pickel" one, means to flush the alcohol out, and run it til it dies, on gas, however, if you will use a "GOOD" upper lube, such as Klotz UPLON, you won't have any problem, letting it set with fuel in it, for a month or more, I let mine set in the trailer all winter, and had no problems, it is good stuff, and it's the only one that goes in my tank, and has been for over 20 yrs, now, if it sits for a yr, you will have some jelling, because it, alcohol, draws moisture, that's why it's main use, is drying propane, and, if you just bought it, and it ran fine, why on earth would the valves be out of adjustment, after you've adjusted them one time, you'll understand, plus, the factory specs are so lenient, once they're in the range, I doubt you'd ever need to readjust them, and if you do, something is going wrong in the valve train, they get a lot more abuse on the street, than they do in a mini, and most dealers that I know, haven't had any problems with the top end, or bottom end for that matter, the gearbox is usually where the trouble is. If your wanting to ck it, pull the plugs, and give it a compression ck, or better yet, a leakdown ck. Bob!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trouble getting 600 mini to start