IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili bowl
1/21/19, 12:01 AM   #51
Re: Chili bowl
revjimk

I was there & it was too drawn out. Most of the folks around me felt the same way. Long break between E &D was annoying, wish they had let us know how long it was going to be. I thought it would be a quick break, waited for a long time to eat, eventually broke down & had plenty of time for a leisurely Philly Cheese Steak, wash up & still more time to BS. I don't know whose fault it was or why....
That said, last turn pass by Bell over Larson made it all worthwhile. Had that not happened, I would have been disappointed

1/21/19, 2:15 AM   #52

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

I didn't hear one person there say they were never coming back because the races ended at 12:30
come on really guys
now the A was scheduled to run at 10:30. And they ended up running about 1 1/2 hours behind.
why?
ok as mentioned things were going smooth till about the E's
so then you get races with lots restarts yellow fence repairs guys being pushed out from the work area. these things happen, even the A had several initial restarts if I remember

I haven't seen this brought up yet but there were 3 reds thrown for medical attn. in the stands. this alone added I bet at least 30 minutes to the night

the track work is necessary IMO. many years back when behind schedule track prep was cut and the racing sucked.
I doubt there was more track work than past years but since the pole shuffle and the opening ceromonies were pushed to after 7 it made the rest of the night late

The ventalation could very well been a factor too. It was one of the coldest saturdays I remember. And also coldest inside I remember for some time. I suspect in trying to keep some warmth in the building the venting took longer? And if that was going to take longer then you might as well work the whole track?

The A has never started before 10:30 its planned that way. curfew is at eleven. Over the years they have made changes that gets the race started before curfew. one of those changes is only running the C's B's and A mains after 7. Allowing time for the unexpected This year it just didn't work out.

there was nothing new about this year all the same breaks and events. Just some of those got pushed to the TV portion. I suppose making the TV viewers unhappy. Most of us there are very used to the breaks and plan around them.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dirteater, erich45, jdull99, mc/rider
1/21/19, 4:32 AM   #53
jdull99

Record car count could be one reason........

Mighta helped the West coast ratings...srsly a lot of people from out there shoulda had an interest...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/21/19, 5:34 PM   #54
Jonr

Not 100% sure I buy into the "it was TV's fault" One of the things that we always hear about Live TV broadcasts are the cost to put them on. Having the schedule go over as much as it did had to increase the cost. I also do not believe that they made any more money on the Ads. I would guess that they lost money. Some of the ads were for smaller companies. I am sure it was I will pay X to sponsor the Chili Bowl. Not I will pay Y every time my add is on TV. Finally, the first thing that they stated when the TV coverage started was that they were behind schedule.

I am a huge midget fan, but at some point, I too went to bed on Saturday night. There was no way that this was going to help us gain new fans. If you were new to the sport and happened to be at a bar that was having a watch party, what would you experience be? Would it keep you entertained? Would you have made it to the end?

2 members like this post: captrat, OnTheHammer
1/22/19, 12:20 AM   #55
ryoung99

Race Count This Year: 10

Seriously, you guys are ******** about a late ending...... think about the teams running the race, they had to load up and be out that night. We did not leave the Expo until 3:30.... yes we were exhausted and hungry, but even my 9 year old daughter complained less than you guys and it was freezing in there when they opened the doors.

4 members like this post: erich45, K92, mc/rider, Points
1/22/19, 10:44 PM   #56
dwbmotorsports

I'm 55 yrs. old, been going to races since I was 4, and I've been to the last 10 chili bowls in a row. I have always had to do the pit pass/general admission on Saturday. I was there at 7:30 am, got my seat on the backstretch and I enjoyed every second of it. The show to me flew by until right before TV took over. The track was definitely better than last year, the only things I didn't like were the speaker above us didn't work and we needed a bad guy (Sammy) in the race. Already planning for next year.

1/24/19, 1:54 AM   #57
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Thanks Wahoo
Honorable Mention,oh the pride you must be feeling

1/29/19, 10:05 PM   #58
1200racing

Saturdays program needs to move to Friday night. Saturdays program needs to starts at 4PM. Its too long of a day for spectators and the track cant hold up for a full day of racing. Start Saturday night at 4PM with the D or C mains and move into the TV show lineup. Don't keep everyone hostage for the day on Saturday!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili bowl