IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cornbelt nationals Question
6/27/19, 2:18 PM   #31
Non wing lover

Kokomo is trying with the smackdown wish get more sponser help maybe have bigger prize monies to win

3 members like this post: duel, oppweld, scottyCbus
6/27/19, 3:45 PM   #32
Re: Cornbelt nationals Question
hoosier race fan

If a promoter felt that the race team and fan support would justify a high-paying ($50k to win) event for non-wing sprint cars, then it would exist. Apparently, there isn’t a promoter who thinks the support would be there to do it.

6/27/19, 4:28 PM   #33
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
Just to clarify some stuff on here, this is a Knoxville event, they asked for help and cooperation from POWRi/WAR and Usac to make it a successful one that can maybe grown into a big annual event. That is the reason we decided to be involved, because I feel like non wing cars deserve to have a huge event in the sprint car capital. I understand that there will be other events running in different states on that same weekend and I hope they have success as well, but we as non wing fans, teams, drivers etc may only get one chance to make this type of event fly, and I hope it gets the support it needs to continue. No doubt the on track product will be awesome.
Its a great idea & i hope it works!

1 member likes this post: duel
6/27/19, 4:30 PM   #34
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider20 View Post
95% of local, self funded teams are not going to haul 7 hours to race a half mile track in which they have an undoubtedly slim chance of winning or even making the show. It's common sense for these guys to go race at Putnamville. It's that cut and dry, not sure why people can't wrap their heads around that. I don’t think you are taking away any cars from Knoxville as most of these MSCS guys weren’t even planning on going there to begin with.
Makes perfect sense to me, plus they probably don't want to burn out their engines on a half mile

6/27/19, 4:34 PM   #35
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider20 View Post
95% of local, self funded teams are not going to haul 7 hours to race a half mile track in which they have an undoubtedly slim chance of winning or even making the show. It's common sense for these guys to go race at Putnamville. It's that cut and dry, not sure why people can't wrap their heads around that. I don’t think you are taking away any cars from Knoxville as most of these MSCS guys weren’t even planning on going there to begin with.
I’m not saying you aren’t correct, but why does the Knoxville Nationals annually draw close to 100 cars? There are cars that come in from the California, NY, PA and other states that are local and are way more than 7 hrs. away from Knoxville. Many of these cars rarely race more than 100 miles from their home. Unless some of the entrants live in a fantasy world, most of the cars that show up HAVE to know they have no chance of advancing out the C main. If I’m not mistaken, 5th place in last year’s Knoxville Nationals C main (the first place not to advance) paid $2000. That would not pay the fuel bill for the hauler from CA to IA and back.

6/27/19, 4:59 PM   #36
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
I’m not saying you aren’t correct, but why does the Knoxville Nationals annually draw close to 100 cars? There are cars that come in from the California, NY, PA and other states that are local and are way more than 7 hrs. away from Knoxville. Many of these cars rarely race more than 100 miles from their home. Unless some of the entrants live in a fantasy world, most of the cars that show up HAVE to know they have no chance of advancing out the C main. If I’m not mistaken, 5th place in last year’s Knoxville Nationals C main (the first place not to advance) paid $2000. That would not pay the fuel bill for the hauler from CA to IA and back.
Because much like the Chili Bowl, it's an event people want to be a part of. It's prestigious.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, Slider20
6/27/19, 5:21 PM   #37
racefan20

They didnt have 200+ cars at the first Chili Bowl or 100 + cars at the first Knoxville nationals. Give it time, if it is worth repeating it will continue but you cant expect to have an iconic race right out of the chute, it just doesnt work that way. You also cant expect a promoter to just walk away from his most successful weekend of the year because there is a big race 3 states away for what you call "the good of the sport". Joe runs a business and he should do what is right for his business. The USAC races on that weekend have been close to if not the highest attended races USAC ran the past several years and they had equally high crowds the next night when MSCS sanctioned. Doesnt make sense for him to walk away from that.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: duel, erich45, Slider20, tmac39
6/27/19, 9:56 PM   #38
Re: Co andrnbelt nationals Question
duel

I have not been to Knoxville and so far I am going. 40 cars sounds good to me plus never being there i get to see 360's and 410 wings on a historic track.

6/27/19, 10:29 PM   #39
Re: Cornbelt nationals QuestionI
ossuks

$25 , The usual price to pay to attend a USAC show with its 10 cars and 12 local field fillers...$25 to go to LPS to see 40 cars, sounds like a deal.... Paragon, 2 nights at LPS , solid weekend!!

6/28/19, 9:39 AM   #40
Non wing lover

Add dickie Gaines and Dave darland to the driver roster for the cornbelt nationals

1 member likes this post: erich45
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cornbelt nationals Question