IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
1121 (Offline)
  #31 5/30/11 11:09 PM
Racerdog 45, I’m sorry if I offended you. But there is no training ground for this race other then the race itself. I have countless laps around that track with a wing. And I’ve run without a wing at a few places, but that race is totally different. You are in constant traffic. There is no other race where our cars are run with a full fuel load. The strain is incredible.

They stressed on the entry form this year that if anyone was considered in the way, they would not hesitate to black flag them. I saw no black flags for erratic driving.

I first went to this race in 1976. My dad crewed for Billy Joe Havens that year. I was too young to get into the pits so I sat up in the stands. It was love at first sight. The start thrilled me. The race was even better. Billy Joe finished 11th that year. From that moment on, I wanted to run that race. I started to run pavement in order to achieve that goal. Three years ago, I achieved that goal. And I admittedly backed into the race. I didn’t qualify for the race as much on speed as I did weather. I started 32nd and finished 15th.

And there were those on this board who said I didn’t belong. And yes, you never mentioned my name this year, but people mentioned my name (among others) that year. No driver has ever told me that I was in their way, but apparently a few fans thought so. So it became my goal to drive my way into that race where nobody could say that. This year I felt I belonged. So yes, I’m overly sensitive to someone not driving the race saying another driver was in the way. Until you drive that race, you have no idea what it’s like.

And Dave, thank you for your kind words. And thank you to everyone that called, texted and e-mailed asking how I was. I have some bruises and a black eye, but I’m OK. Unfortunately, the car is done. Hopefully the motor is OK, but the frame and most of the bolt on stuff is junk. Even my helmet is ruined.

One thing I will mention to lighten the mood. I have always said there are two types of crashes. Those that are over instantly and those that seem to last all day. This one seem to last all day.

As I was flipping, I could hear the motor screaming. I kept telling myself to get my foot off the throttle. But I just couldn’t manage to lift my foot. I saw pictures of the crash today. I understand why now. Thank you all.

Tom Paterson
7 Likes: 64chevy, 767, billwill7, cowboyhar69, IndyBound, PJ Wright, TQ29m
TQ29m (Online)
  #32 5/31/11 11:10 AM
Tom, ain't it odd, how different it is from the stands? I don't think you need to apologize to anyone, having been there, and done that many times, as a driver/owner, and now just as an owner, and of all the help you have loading up your wadded up race car, then no one around when you need to unload it. Several times I've had to unload it a piece at a time, till I could get the bulk of it on a furniture cart, and use a come along to pull it out of the trailer, or at least get it back to a "roller" of sorts, to get it out. All of this for "fun"? I guess so, been doin it too long now, to quit. Good luck, and glad to hear you're still "spunky"! Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
767 (Offline)
  #33 6/1/11 9:05 AM
Tom I am glad you walked away ok. That was a very hard crash. Really hope the car is not a total loss. This is my favorite race of the year. Left the big 500 a few laps early to make sure we did not get caught up in traffic. This years field of cars was deffinatlly the most competitive I have ever seen. When a guy like Eric Gordon runs most of the first half of the race a few cars infront of the leader (close to lossing a lap under green), you realize this is 1 tough field. Couple of things I would like to point out:
1. Chet Phillip is the man. Oldest driver in the field, little better pit stategy and he could have won. Not sure 500 laps on 1 set of tires is a good thing, but that car could go anywhere.
2.pit stops are awsome. Its cool to see the things a few teams have come up with to make there stops faster.
3. Push trucks in the pits are still a big problem. the guy in turn 4 screwed up several times. We almost need an eye in the sky that says when someone gets screwed by a push truck mistake they get to make that lap or 2 up as soon as they get on the track. I watched 3 push trucks drive right by adams.
4. Aggressive race pace. The leaders looked more aggressive this year than they ever have. Not sure if this resulted in a few of those leaders dropping out?
5. LAck of cautions in the 2nd half. It was refreshing to see drivers have a mechanical problem and pull off the tracks immediatly not causing a cation. Get sick and tired of seeing guys break something then stop out on the track just so the caution will fly and everyone can see them climb out. Seems like it happens at every weekly show.
6. Crowd Size: Not as big as Saturday night, but still very impressive.
7. 2012 can not come soon enough!
2 Likes: 64chevy, dadams17