IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Tim (Offline)
  #11 9/3/23 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd:
The Silver Crown Series has the biggest fields in years why would they want to mess with the recent success.

The ASCS engine with ASCS spec cylinder heads is around 100hp less than the Silver Crown engines.
Folks,

Yes, I agree that the ASCS engines provide less power than the Fords, and other more exotic headed motors. What is interesting, however, is that we ran all last year with an ASCS engine. When we lost our -12 engine at the end of the 2021 season I acquired the ASCS engine and we ran it at Eldora for four crown. My driver at the time commented that he felt the ASCS motor pulled stronger than the -12 motor.

What is also interesting is that last year at Eldora we were parked next to one of the top SC cars in the field. My son was staring at that car and said, "Hmm - that car has the ASCS logo cast into the heads", which I confirmed.

All this to say that, in my mind, the ASCS engines should, and apparently do, compete just fine with the other, more exotic, engines.

Tim Simmons
LB (Offline)
  #12 9/3/23 11:36 AM
You all need to remember the last time another "organization " monkeyed around with a so called new pavement car ,,,and just about killed the series,,
3 Likes: badcoupe, interpreter66, tirespinner
badcoupe (Offline)
  #13 9/3/23 1:04 PM
Sad thing about all these parts being NLA is that it would be hard to build a new car without existing parts, hard to expand the field that way. You would have to have bought an existing setup.
miledirt (Offline)
  #14 9/3/23 4:01 PM
(Deleted for next reply)
miledirt (Offline)
  #15 9/3/23 4:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tim:
Folks,

Yes, I agree that the ASCS engines provide less power than the Fords, and other more exotic headed motors. What is interesting, however, is that we ran all last year with an ASCS engine. When we lost our -12 engine at the end of the 2021 season I acquired the ASCS engine and we ran it at Eldora for four crown. My driver at the time commented that he felt the ASCS motor pulled stronger than the -12 motor.

What is also interesting is that last year at Eldora we were parked next to one of the top SC cars in the field. My son was staring at that car and said, "Hmm - that car has the ASCS logo cast into the heads", which I confirmed.

All this to say that, in my mind, the ASCS engines should, and apparently do, compete just fine with the other, more exotic, engines.

Tim Simmons
Interesting
kendirt (Offline)
  #16 9/4/23 6:32 PM
If you read the rules, pretty much any 360 is legal.

As mentioned, looks like a great place for a LS-based engine.
Frank Reiner (Offline)
  #17 9/4/23 7:21 PM
As we read through this thread, two subject areas arise: 1) The applicability of various engine configurations and specifications within the displacement limit, and 2) the availability and cost of starter and clutch/transmission components that are unique to Silver Crown (as opposed to sprint cars).
An evolution in engine sources within the two-valve/pushrod constraint seems both correct, and inevitable.
Availability of the unique components will present a greater impediment.