IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?
5/29/12, 10:15 AM   #11
Re: USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?
rj1

wasn't the best race but Coons just had the field covered and the early attrition played a part, Kaeding was 1-2 secs behind most of the last half of the race but could never get close and Coons pulled away, best race was for 3rd as Levi Jones attempted to take it the whole time and then with about 10 to go him and his teammate took it

1 member likes this post: dirtball
5/29/12, 10:20 AM   #12
flatout

I wouldn't call it a gripe fest per se. I'd say it is reality. The field was down by 1/3 this year. Only 10 cars or so running at the end of the race. There is a steep learning curve on this fuel and it is hurting the entire series whether anyone wants to admit it or not. This has not been a "simple" swap of fuel nozzels and go as promised.

1 member likes this post: SC90
5/29/12, 10:23 AM   #13
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
I wouldn't call it a gripe fest per se. I'd say it is reality. The field was down by 1/3 this year. Only 10 cars or so running at the end of the race. There is a steep learning curve on this fuel and it is hurting the entire series whether anyone wants to admit it or not. This has not been a "simple" swap of fuel nozzels and go as promised.
Agreed
To hate it would be to add yet another empty seat in the grandstands. Car counts have gone down from mid 40's not so long ago to 30's now low 20's. What happens next year if 17 cars show up?

Somebody better be thinking about the future. That's not hating on it, that loving the series and caring about its future

5/29/12, 10:58 AM   #14
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Exactly right, when car counts go down, so does attendance, that's a fact. Basically USAC found a new sponsor with cash and free fuel for the drivers and thought it was a godsend. I know they thought this would all work out great, teams get free fuel for the year and all they have to do is swap out some carb. jets, a win-win situation. But alot of car owners saw the big picture and didn't follow along, and we lose cars counts, that familiar smell and sound, and fewer cars finishing races. Smarter minds than mine will have to step in here to save this series and i pray they do.
& 1 last mention, getting on here and calling everyone haters and wishing you had your precious time back is like the wise folks that call in to opinion polls and say they have no opinion. People who love racing, of all types, and worry about the demise of a historical series and try to express an opinion to help are not haters, hopefully they are part of the solution. Sorry if my simple post took more of your time, all the best, bob

5/29/12, 12:40 PM   #15
DonMoore10

Keep the conversation going on here. Never discount the power of the fan opinion and the internet. It gets results. BTW, the USAC midget division has been on life support for years. Other than midget week, it's a race here and a race there and that's it for the season. Now we have the Silver Crown cars on the chopping block.

2 members like this post: koolaid89, Pat O'Connor Fan
5/29/12, 1:06 PM   #16
groove grabber

I feel as tho I have a good relationship with some at the usac office and my intentions aren't to strain those but boys we cannot keep doing this. I thank ignite for trying but the fact is it just wont fly. I documented every car at indy and water temps ranged from 220-320(yes 320) oil temps beyond320. I am no genius but motors cannot live at those temps for100 miles and they havent. I would safely say that 75 percent of the engines were hurt fri, including Stewarts, 6r, rw, fox and mine. Our motor was fresh and we all know the costs with freshening, all my fuel work was professionally done by one of the best in the business, i overnighted a oilcooler at a substantial cost and even dynoed my engine to make sure we were right, guess what i got? A 260 degree one lap qualification run and 10 laps of a main at 240 -260. Judging by the sound of it, a rebuild is in order again. We cannot continue because of this until senses prevail. I race these cars because i love them and they provided me a chance to step back into the history that has us all where we are today, to live out a dream of competing with the big cars and paying my respect to Foyt, Ward,Larson, Gary B. Hewitt, Parsons and all my heros. Its a sad time when money trumps tradition, when leadership cannot see clearly and when great things like this series fall because of it . Please Mr.Miller, use your head and make the right decision

Shane Cockrum 114

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by groove grabber; 5/29/12 at 1:08 PM.

5/29/12, 1:54 PM   #17
mortboyz

Thanks Shane, best post in the thread

5/29/12, 2:02 PM   #18
Great Scott

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 63

We are currently planning on making the trip over to Springfield and Duquoin but there sure seems to be some major concern on the future of the Silver Crown series. I really hope that it does not fall apart but given the current set of circumstances, it does not look good. We really enjoy the big cars on the dirt miles but with dwindling car counts and only a handful of cars finishing we may have to reconsider our plans.

USAC, the future of Silver Crown racing is in your hands what are you going to do?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, openwheelKT
5/29/12, 2:09 PM   #19
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Sometimes this board is kind of the boy who cried wolf when it comes to complaints. You hear so many, what’s the point of reading more negativity? I ignore a lot of it because it doesn’t matter what the subject is, something’s wrong with it.

However, on this one, this is a serious issue it sounds like to me. If the teams are seeing issues that have been described, then I hope USAC will listen. The teams are the ones that spend the money to run. As was said, if the car counts keep going down, so will the fans. It’s a fact that has already taken place. People not showing up doesn't help the issue, but you can't blame people...I might be one of them if the slide continues. USAC is a sanctioning body that makes the rules that racers follow....meaning they aren't going to make everybody happy. However, there are some times when they really need to get impute (or more impute) from teams. This sure sounds bad to me and that is why fans are down about it. I know I am. I like SC racing because the races are (were) events, not just another race. I really hope the issues are looked into and it's not just, "those are the rules show up or don't". Caring doesn't always mean people are being negative about a subject.
Last edited by openwheelKT; 5/29/12 at 2:19 PM.

4 members like this post: Great Scott, groove grabber, jim goerge, SC90
5/29/12, 5:36 PM   #20
sp6967

its hard to go back when the money is already spent.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Silver Crown Series...thoughts?