IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2010 Indiana Sprint Car purses
12/11/10, 10:50 AM   #11
Re: 2010 Indiana Sprint Car purses
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I thought I read somewhere last year that weekly racing at Knoxville was a money loosing proposition.

I have asked Dave what can be done to raise the purses, and hes done some great things such as having a show for 8 bucks that paid about double purses by sponsors and donations Mel Johnson Classic actually 4 bucks as it was a Harf, Darf and Barc night.

I don't see gates anywhere rising in the near future. Sponsorship is about the only thing going to raise any purses.

Id love to see a track go 3000 to win and 300 to start on a weekly. Bring some people, Tell the sponsors you appreciate it and shop with them when applicable. It could happen

While I don't agree with singling out a track, Im sure it is more $$ to run Burg than the other tracks but its also Indianas only track you can average over 90mph on. I think I remember qualifications of Winged 114 and Non Winged 102
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/11/10 at 10:52 AM.

12/11/10, 12:11 PM   #12
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpfldMile View Post
Wow, Knoxville pays 17th on back what the non wing tracks pay for 3rd or 4th. Do they pack the place weekly?
If I remember right Lucas Oil came on as a sponsor at Knoxville and is what really raised the purse there especially the start money. What is hard to believe is many times this year Knoxville only had 22 410's there running for that kind of cash.

12/11/10, 1:00 PM   #13
SPD 37

I'm just saying the sprint car purses, in general, are not very good in Indiana. I feel a team runs very hard, at L-Burg, to finish 4-6, and that's all they get paid. I do think Kokomo and Bloomington are a little closer to what they should be for 4-6th. As for Dave taking a check from me, well, he wanted to be a promoter, so promote, and get more sponsors which I know is a very tough job.

Bottom line, pay a good purse, and get the cars, get the cars, and you get the fans...if you don't you may have car counts in the upper teens to lower 20's...

Also, as we all know, the Indiana sprint car purses are pretty close to what they were many years ago...

12/11/10, 2:09 PM   #14
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Knoxville also has the Nationals to subsidize the rest of their season
So should Knoxville be punished because they have a premier event that fattens their wallets?

If tracks aren't making a little money they will close. Which do you prefer?

12/11/10, 3:49 PM   #15
Tony74

Has USAC posted any of the purse structure for next season?
I had heard rumblings that the pavement sprint dates would have a new lower purse??

12/11/10, 7:00 PM   #16
staggerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD 37 View Post
I'm just saying the sprint car purses, in general, are not very good in Indiana. I feel a team runs very hard, at L-Burg, to finish 4-6, and that's all they get paid. I do think Kokomo and Bloomington are a little closer to what they should be for 4-6th. As for Dave taking a check from me, well, he wanted to be a promoter, so promote, and get more sponsors which I know is a very tough job.

Bottom line, pay a good purse, and get the cars, get the cars, and you get the fans...if you don't you may have car counts in the upper teens to lower 20's...

Also, as we all know, the Indiana sprint car purses are pretty close to what they were many years ago...
I would take L-Burgs guaranteed start money of $225 over Kokomo's $155 instead of 4-6 being the same. JMO

12/11/10, 7:04 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

what bugs me on this post is that lately purses haven't been a draw unless maybe early or very late in the season. Most teams avoid running with the big dogs. And people even blame bigger teams to comming in and cherry pickiing a local higher purse.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2010 Indiana Sprint Car purses