IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Bid to "Buy The Action Track"
1/23/08, 10:26 AM   #21
Re: New Bid to "Buy The Action Track"
SpfldMile

Signed. Maybe we should drop a few notes to the mayor and city council if possible too.

1/23/08, 10:30 AM   #22
flaglady

Terre Haute does NOT need any more shopping in that area. There are building sitting empty and they want to bulid more. They shouldn't sell to Greg and Thompson Thrift. That would be a big mistake. THAT need to be brought back to her former glory.

1/23/08, 10:34 AM   #23
Jimmydiesel

Signed.

1/23/08, 10:39 AM   #24
Trouble

Signed.

1/23/08, 10:46 AM   #25
tntbusco

Signed. Hope it works out for the best.

1/23/08, 12:56 PM   #26
Flags anything

Has anyone seen the "artists rendition" of what they are proposing. There is 30 some acers that would be ACROSS THE STREET AND DIRECTLY BEHIND the "shopping complex" for FUTURE EXPANSION (the race track). Can you say STUPID !!!!!!!. Also with the noise abament laws around, didn't the Indiana state legislater bacisly put the kabosh on building any "New Motorsports (race tracks) facilities"?. And do you think that the 27 member fair board is going to let go of 6 to 9 plus million $$$$ (cash) to build a race track/ drag strip, NOT ONLY NO, BUT H--- NO!!!!!!!. It appeares that the only positive aspect so far for the racers and fans is that the demo's and tractor/ truck pulls would be in a seperate area not the race track.

1/23/08, 1:51 PM   #27
Jerry Shaw

All I know is that the developers (Thompson-Thrift and Greg Gibson) made quite an effort, yesterday, carrying out this media blitz. And that's just exactly what it was. IMO, if they thought the Fair Board was even close to being sold on this proposal, they wouldn't have done this. And from what I can tell, there will be more backlash from this deal, than a ground swell of support. The 4H (the Fairgrounds' main inhabitant) is already not happy bunch of campers. In fact, we just went through a mayoral ******** that saw a Democratic incumbent lose his job to a Republican challenger, becoming the first Republican elected mayor in Terre Haute, since 1968. And one of the major campaign points was that even though Mayor Burke had gotten a lot done, many of the projects ended up fattening the bank account of Gibson. With that said, considering the public backlash on the previous Mayor, I don't think Duke Bennett, the current Mayor, is in any hurry, to be accused of also being Greg Gibson's lap dog. And Bennett doesn't have to sign off on this, just that supporting it and/or helping push it through could have a high political price.

Not to bore everybody with local ********, just thought I would add a little background for perspective purposes. I don't know how this is going to end up, but the WVFA is a 501c3 Not-For-Profit, so personal profit for board members is not going to be a determining factor here. People go to prison for that kind of thing. The last time they voted on this (last year), it was a unanimous NO. And that was an offer that was almost as big as this one. Plus, anybody that's ever tried to get money out of a farmer knows that Thompson-Thrift and Gibson are unlikely to get this farmer-led Fair Board to sign what is a sweetheart deal, as far as the developers are concerned.

Just My Opinion,

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1/23/08, 2:44 PM   #28
wbr

I hope your opinion is right Jerry. You seem to have some inside knowledge of the goings on and I appreciate you sharing it with all of us here at IOW.

1/23/08, 3:54 PM   #29
blisteredRRear

Well put Jerry! I hope logic plays into the boards decision. THAT has such history maybe the historical society could come in and lay some kind of claim to it and then build a small archrive building with pics, facts, cars and a list of who is who that "THAT":greenflag: has had in her ring!

1/23/08, 5:45 PM   #30
Jerry Shaw

From today's Tribune Star:

"Hartmann also noted that the existing fairgrounds has “some real positive things happening,” such as an upcoming world class dog show. He is also optimistic about the future of the Action Track and the 2008 Vigo County Fair, he said."

That's Fair Board President Dave Hartmann.

http://www.tribstar.com/local/local_...022122357.html

Jerry

Winston Churchill

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Bid to "Buy The Action Track"