IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Reworking the race track
6/16/09, 3:03 PM   #1
Reworking the race track
cleatziff

I asked the question in an earlier thread but lost track of it. So here is my question. How do driver's feel about reworking the track right before the feature?

6/16/09, 3:23 PM   #2
Re: Reworking the race track
Knoke77

A lot of variables really go into answering this question.

For me personally I wasn't a big fan of when people would rework the track just for the fun of reworking it whether it needed it or not. If the track was still racey then leave it be. Just because cars aren't pulling wheelstands down each straightaway doesn't mean the racing is going to be bad. Plus if the track is slicked off some it allows for smaller budget teams to be a little more competitive. (Less motor needed and if the driver is smooth they can pass the other guys that are blowing their tires off with their big motors)

Now if the track was so slick that you knew it was going to be huggy pole around the tires or rougher then a corn cob or blowing dust so bad the drivers can't see each other then yes it is appropriate to work on the track.

This is just an example and in no way a bash against L-Burg or Dave Rudisell (Lord knows he has taken enough crap on this forum lately), but a lot of drivers that regulary run the Burg perfer it when it starts to slick off. Early in the night the track is so fast it's hard to pass. Usually if the track isn't reworked then it allows for cars to come from the back IF they have set their car up to do so. (Take Levi and Shane's runs this past race for example).

I'm just an old has-been (or to some never-was) driver so my view on things may not be worth much.
Last edited by Knoke77; 6/16/09 at 3:24 PM.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
6/16/09, 3:43 PM   #3
kstudley57

For the smaller teams, or the teams that are not real experienced at setting up sprint cars, reworking the track is kind of a crap shoot for them. I know sometimes when we are in the pushoff lane ready to go and they do a quick rework it leaves us scratching out heads on whether or not we should free the car up or if it will just blow off. I personally dont like when they rework it for that exact reason.

6/16/09, 3:59 PM   #4
dant

Fans come to see a race.tons of silt in the air ,can't see the cars on the backstraight...not good.....if they just sprits the track fine..if they do more ,you'll have plenty of time to make adjustments....if you can't learn to read a track and set-up a sprint car buy a pinto..run mini stock..IMO

6/16/09, 4:41 PM   #5
TQ29m

JMHO, but I'd rather see the track worked before the feature, if it is showing signs of coming apart, but just before the dash, no, most of those guys already have set up for the dash, knowing what the track is at the present time, and 4-6 laps, of 4-6 cars, won't be a big deal, then they will have time to watch what is being done, before the feature, and have time to guess what it will be. Now if you're talking ashfault/tar, just let me know a week ahead, so I can make other arrangements! Bob

6/16/09, 8:18 PM   #6
Racer12

Coming from someone who's job is to nail a good setup night in and out, I HATE it. It makes putting a good setup a total guess even more than it is already. Leave 'em be and let race. JMO

Bob Shutt

6/16/09, 8:46 PM   #7
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatziff View Post
I asked the question in an earlier thread but lost track of it. So here is my question. How do driver's feel about reworking the track right before the feature?
Depends how bad it is and what they do to it.

I hate it when they grade off the cushion!!
Last edited by sprntr; 6/16/09 at 8:48 PM.

6/16/09, 11:48 PM   #8
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dant View Post
Fans come to see a race.tons of silt in the air ,can't see the cars on the backstraight...not good.....if they just sprits the track fine..if they do more ,you'll have plenty of time to make adjustments....if you can't learn to read a track and set-up a sprint car buy a pinto..run mini stock..IMO
This was a serious question and drivers took the time to provide an answer. I appreciate that. Lets not be attacking people who give an honest answer to a question on this forum. I appreciate all that I learn from people who post on here and hate to see posts which discourage them from doing that.

6/17/09, 12:02 AM   #9
dant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
This was a serious question and drivers took the time to provide an answer. I appreciate that. Lets not be attacking people who give an honest answer to a question on this forum. I appreciate all that I learn from people who post on here and hate to see posts which discourage them from doing that.
I didn't mean to attack anyone...i don't think I did...I've raced sprint cars for over 10 yrs.and I simply want the fans to get their moneys worth..so they'll come back...it's a hassle when they rework the track ..but 6-8 10 car inverts are a hassle too,we deal with those -so the fans get the best show /most passing ect...the mini stock reference-I drove one 20 yrs ago ,at track -air pressure is it for adj.......a sprint car though is a tuners dream,you can make one tight as heck ,or loose with 5 min. and a couple of wrenchs..air pressure adj. move weight in the car,raise /lower ride height,shock change,wheel location...10 min. I can totally change the attitude of a car ...for better or worse..you don't know till you race it.....dirtnonwingracefan-if you wanted a certain response so you could convince a promoter to leave the track alone..sorry.you ask for racers response,I just see it as a challenge in racing ,kind'a fun.....by the way I grew up 30 mi. south of Springfield il. nice part of the country!
Last edited by dant; 6/17/09 at 1:00 AM.

6/17/09, 12:11 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It really depends on whats happening. If the tracks comming apart or cushion too big then it should be addressed as it happens, Not wait till features. I think this is both cars and tracks responsibility. Some tracks make the cars run the whole track in to begin with. others ask nothing like that unless rain or something happens. Nothing wrong with a little wheelpacking prior to a heat to make a wider (If even for a short time) track.

Don't get me wrong, I love a cushion, Some of my greatest memories come from guys bouncing off it, running over it. bicycling on it and going to the front, Yet if its unraceable. Pack it or grade it. I seen at the USAC show at Big E this spring that they raked the cushion watered it and packed it. It came back but it cut the dust down and keep the racing good.

I've seen bloomington where it was almost unraceable till it was packed again. Huggy pole isn't always around the bottom. Its the only part fast.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/17/09 at 12:12 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Reworking the race track