IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Racing Toward Midnight" by Dick Berggren
10/19/07, 4:28 PM   #11
Re: "Racing Toward Midnight" by Dick Berggren
Andrew S. Quinn

What the story doesnt tell you is that Thunder Road runs its races on Thursday nights, a work night,and they run a very efficient program.Admission costs have also caught up with them too,I recall it used to be like $3.50 admission when most places were in the $7-8 range.When it was priced like that,they used to get a bunch of single parents looking for a cheap night out with the kids.

Its been awhile since I have been there,but back then they had Dave Moody (Now he does NASCAR on MRN) as the announcer,and he was great with what was happening on the track,making good guys vs bad guys along the way. Its to bad he's not still doing the short track stuff instead of NASCAR,cause he is really good at stirring the crowds emotion.

Sometimes I wonder why promoters dont go to places that get mentioned as people friendly,and have a look to see just WHAT they ARE doing right.

10/20/07, 2:16 PM   #12
cecil98

I couldn't have written it any better! We've had these "back gate" discussions several times on here. I won't invite friends or family down if they are running more than 3 divisions that night.

10/20/07, 3:08 PM   #13
Dwight Clock

That article strikes at the very heart of what is wrong with short track racing. The long gone Reading Fairgrounds had the best idea to keep a program moving, a five minute clock. It was placed high in the pits where everyone could see it. When starting it they would announce that drivers had five minutes to line up for the race. They would announce as each minute ticked off. When it stopped if you were not in line you didn't race. It didn't matter if you were a newcomer of the point leader. No exceptions were made. During the heats as soon as one heat was on the track the clock started for the next heat. It worked very well. Many tracks would benefit by that today. And it is very inexpensive.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "Racing Toward Midnight" by Dick Berggren