IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > To Kevin Briscoe
10/16/07, 11:27 PM   #31
Re: To Kevin Briscoe
Joey Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Woods View Post
:respect::dologob::dologob::dologob: c bnm,./nvhvvbnnmcvdgfvjjdvggghasdfghjkl;'zxccvbnmasfdghj
d0g :hoffman:
Ahhh. My 4 year olds first post, he came up and said daddy what is that , I said, son you know how you type on the computer, well this is where I type and he said daddy can I type and I said type on big daddy and there you have it! I wonder if he is the youngest poster we have.

10/17/07, 7:15 AM   #32
ThrottleHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
here we go again...
Post of the year!!!!!!!!!! Make that the Decade!!!

10/17/07, 8:34 AM   #33
Al Soran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipalong View Post
Also if you check into like a bowtie or dart steel block they are not far from the cost of a standard aluiminum block.
There's the problem. I say steel block, and everyone in sprint car racing immediately thinks Bowtie or Dart. "How can I spend more money"? Go ahead and get your Bowtie or Dart. If you run steel blocks, I guarantee some kid who wrenches at the local oil change facility will go to the junk yard and find a block out of an old pick up truck, and he will eventually whip you....or not. But, that's the point. Give a regular guy a little hope. Why else would he get a sprint car? He wouldn't, and they don't. They get modifieds.

Did Opperman EVER run an aluminum block? Kenny Weld? Did the two of them ever have any good races? Have any fun? Did Opperman come from money? Would we have ever seen him run if he were starting out today? Unlikely.

10/17/07, 10:49 AM   #34
sprint4

Good point Al...

The block for my 360 came from a 1972 Chevy pickup... 4-Bolt main... I got a few suggestions from my engine builder as far as serial numbers to look for. I picked it up for $100 from some random guy I found in the Tradin' Post, a local classified paper. That's nowhere near the cost of a new Aluminum, Dart, or Bowtie block...

I can't recall what it cost to have it magnafluxed and to bore it out, but it wasn't more then a couple hundred bucks. So I spent maybe $300 to $400, for a block ready for a rotating assembly.

Just some more food for thought.

10/17/07, 11:03 AM   #35
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Other than some speeds, I notice little to no difference in the quality of racing from the old cast iron age to the new age. No reason a 360 cast Iron class with a couple of mandated head sets wouldn't flurish. Other rules would have to be strictly adhered too but I say go for it! You could bring that 60.000 car cost down to probably 20,000 and still have quality and possibly more competitive racing as these days the Unlimited teams seem to be running away with things.

Chuck, also not knocking those who can afford top equiptment of everything, It's just that Five local guys showing up for big races is dissapointing to say the least.

10/17/07, 11:28 AM   #36
Rex W.

Good luck finding a GOOD steel block from a junkyard. That & they cant be repaired

10/17/07, 12:13 PM   #37
Al Soran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex W. View Post
Good luck finding a GOOD steel block from a junkyard. That & they cant be repaired
IMCA/UMP modified teams all over the country don't seem to be having a problem running those junkyard blocks, and here Matt Dobey has successfully planted one in his sprinter.

As a matter of fact, while I'm dreaming online of an affordable sprint car, let's have a "no dry sump rule". The modified guys have more than proven that you don't need one, and many run the same screaming engine all year on a quarter mile track with no problems. It's just another unneccesary expense.

10/17/07, 12:34 PM   #38
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Woods View Post
Ahhh. My 4 year olds first post, he came up and said daddy what is that , I said, son you know how you type on the computer, well this is where I type and he said daddy can I type and I said type on big daddy and there you have it! I wonder if he is the youngest poster we have.
Don't know if he is the youngest but he makes more sense than some around here!:rolling:

10/17/07, 2:25 PM   #39
Rex W.

What happened to the mscs steel block support series?

10/17/07, 2:46 PM   #40
SpfldMile

Why don't we reduce the right rear tire down to 16 inches, heck 14. That way all those horses can't get down to the track, it takes a little more throttle control. It sure looked like some of those races in the 60's were pretty good with those skinny tires throwing rooster tails all over the place. I'm just a fan, Kevin, but do you think that would help?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > To Kevin Briscoe