IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > To Kevin Briscoe
10/16/07, 12:46 PM   #11
Re: To Kevin Briscoe
Rex W.

Folks Racin isn't cheap & never will be. This has been talked about for YEARS ! Nothing has happened . nothing will happen. It will either go on or it wont. If a shock is gonna make or break your racing program then i think it's time to find another deal to go do. 1 more thing Everyone wants to go race & win but not many wanna do what it takes to do it RIGHT.

10/16/07, 1:02 PM   #12
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Fantastic Post Kevin!

I do have some questions tho.
1. Is it possible to build your own motors and compete? I mean can you build that 35.000 motor for say 15-20? Block, Pistons, Rods, Mains, Heads? or is that too risky, Don't have the time, OR Just cant compete with em?

Shocks 750 plus adjusters/ Torsion adjusters
This is assinine IMHO. Teams aren't buying these adjustables ect because they can aford them. It's because they can correct a setup miss durring a caution Theres no reason anyone should be able to buy 150-200 racing shocks, Rebuild them for 40 bucks every off season and save a nights cost of racing just from one shock.

I know some of the things developed have good points, The adjustables might replace the four different RR shocks you carry around.

The MSD's Well you can keep from overrevving motors with em if you know what your doing (Particularly helpful in a flip where your foots mashed on the floorboard)

Whats the answer? I don't know, But, I'll agree with you and that S&M writer from last month that said it's rapidly aproaching the point that without a high dollar sponsor, Your gonna be racing something else.

Chuck, who is much anticipating watching the younger Briscoe's career as much as I enjoyed watching and continue watching yours.

10/16/07, 1:24 PM   #13
Knoke77

Chuck, it's possible to build your own motor to keep the costs down but you will lose out on horsepower. The Law Brothers build all their motors. They have Neibel's do the machine work usually but all assembly is completed by Roger and Vic. I would assume their motors are close to the $20,000 range and roughly put out 780 to 790 hp. (Not exact figures mind you) The sad thing is those are little horsepower numbers compared to a vast majority of people out there running. Even back in 2001 and 2002 we had a really good fighting chance with the big money teams but it seems that in the last 4 years motors have become insane on price and the amount of power they are producing!

10/16/07, 1:46 PM   #14
riskybrisky5

Folks Racin isn't cheap & never will be. This has been talked about for YEARS ! Nothing has happened . nothing will happen. It will either go on or it wont. If a shock is gonna make or break your racing program then i think it's time to find another deal to go do. 1 more thing Everyone wants to go race & win but not many wanna do what it takes to do it RIGHT. Qoute from Rex W

Rex you are right and that is what scares the heck out of me. Who is going to replace the Dave Darlands of this sport. Not many young drivers are getting in this to race sprint cars. They are hoping to go to the next level. So at 21 years old they have made it to the next level or done with sprint cars. It has not started to happen but the movement is getting close. The development teams will either get there drivers moved on or replace them with another young development driver. So if the blue collar racers cant afford it like the guys I mentioned earlier how many cars will we have. I agree that the costs probably will not come down not very often people slash prices on things. But if we all put our heads together and work together we can maybe see this thing flourish for years to come.

10/16/07, 1:58 PM   #15
riskybrisky5

If a shock is gonna make or break your racing program then i think it's time to find another deal to go do. 1 more thing Everyone wants to go race & win but not many wanna do what it takes to do it RIGHT. Quote RexW

I was just using that as one of the many examples of how the cost has gone up and we are racing for around the same dollars. I agree that one shock is not gonna make or break you. I disagree with the end part everyone wants to win but not many wanna do what it takes to do it right. Some just cannot plain afford to do it right. I would love to see some of these guys with unlimited budgets. Hud Cone, Troy Link, Kevin Besecker, AJ Anderson, Brandon Petty, Josh Cunningham, Bobby Stines, Kyle Cummins, Arin Mcitosh, Critter Malone and the list goes on and on. You would see them up front alot more frequently.

10/16/07, 2:12 PM   #16
FOR4

Thank you Mr. Briscoe, this is what I thought you might say about this. Sometimes a shock can change alot of things.

10/16/07, 2:32 PM   #17
Al Soran

:headbang:I'll try this once more. I have been preaching this gospel for years and years to deaf ears. Sprint car people don't get it. Maybe someone can explain why.

Brick hard right rear tire that can be run half a summer (sorry to the tire dealers out there). Iron block (Ahhhh! Sorry Rodeck, Gaerte, Donovan). No adjustable shocks (sorry Penske). Here's the real deal blower. An engine claim. Say $1500 for the long block. Whoa! God forbid!

Would it work? There is an IMCA/UMP modified on every street corner where I live and those are the basic rules governing them. The racing is close and the guys doing it are working stiffs having a blast. The ones who can afford it, step on up into late models. It's working.

10/16/07, 3:02 PM   #18
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Al, Your right but there are a ton of holes in this. The UMP tracks I've visited, I bet you couldn't build a motor for less than 6000. Rear Steer? When did that become part of IMCA Mods? Shocks, Ungoverned, Running tubes in tires to make them hard tires hook, Well you ruin one quicker than you might think.
Claim Rules?
Ever been a part of a claim? Seen one happen?
The ones I've seen by another team or a promotor left very bitter taste in everyones mouths and I've even seen violence erupt from them.

It's gonna take car owners, Sanctioning bodies, Drivers and promotors all sitting at a table nationwide to put together some cost reducing rules.

How bout a compression rule? That could save five grand right there (Top three tested at every track every night) How do you get compression? Heads and Pistons, Two of the biggest cost rising issues. Billett alluminum is also going through the roof. Maybe save all your pop tabs and have them melt you down a new block to hone? LOL.

How about no adjusters or adjustable shocks with no incar adjusters therefore those saving money on multiple shocks still race with the setup they hit the track at every track and sanction?

How about passing points systems. Don't matter if you got a 20 grand car or a 60 grand car, you pass people, you earn your way, (Qualifying often exploits the 40 grand motor from the 20 grand)

How about making cost saving rules that keep competition between manufactures in the mix

It will have to be universal or it just won't work. As Much as I agree with Kevin, Those that can spend more, Will!!!! and there is no end in sight.

Chuck

10/16/07, 3:22 PM   #19
riskybrisky5

I just want to add one more thing. Before i get slammed for it. I am in know way putting down the teams that have the equipment or the money. I for one am one of those teams that pulls in the pits every night with equipment that is capable of winning.

10/16/07, 3:37 PM   #20
FOR4

The ones who can afford it, step on up into late models. It's working.[/QUOTE]

Now why did you go and say something like that

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > To Kevin Briscoe