IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite track that is no longer around
10/10/07, 6:46 PM   #41
Re: Favorite track that is no longer around
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

:applaud:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast View Post
No one has mentioned Sweet Owen Speedway in Patrcksburg IN.

When you drive west from Spencer to Terre Haute on IN46 you can still see what's left of the track I first attended. They had ran sprints there in the past, but eventually moved to Late Models and hobby stocks before closing in the early 80's.

My dad ran there in all the different divisions over the years. After injuries from a sprint car crash there, he didn't race anymore. I remember watching a traveling volkswagen bettle series run there in the late to mid 70's.
SWEET OWEN IS WHERE I FIRST STARTED RACING.AT THAT TIME ALL WE RAN WERE STRAIGHT SIXES.
I LOVED TO RUN THERE BUT THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO PARK ANYTHING.PITS WERE VERY SMALL.
I REMEMBER THAT WE WOULD QUALIFY 1 LAP THEN PARK IN THE INFIELD.LAST CAR OUT WOULD TAKE 2 LAPS THEN THE ONES IN THE INFIELD WOULD TAKE THERE OTHR LAP. --- GOOD TIMES FOR ALL --:applaud:

10/10/07, 7:03 PM   #42
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
I'll guess Mel Kenyon for one of them, DC.:thumb:
No, Danny. Bob Tattersall won the first one on 6/28/63. Bobby Marshman won the next one on 8/2/63. Jimmy Davies copped the last event there on 5/17/64. Now...can you name the other track that hosted two USAC midget events in 1963 and one in '64 and never ran another before or since?

10/10/07, 7:09 PM   #43
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpfldMile View Post
I also have to list Godfrey,Il. It was another little track with a lot of personality.
I live seven miles from what used to be Godfrey Speedway, and go by there every Saturday night when I go up to score at Pike County. Man, that dang concrete batch tower is an ugly sight.:censor:

Although in my mind, they ruined the place back in '96 when they cut out the banking to extend the straights. Not only did they take away the track's personality, they took all the raciness out of it when they did that.

Yeah, the bleachers all leaned at odd angles, the lights didn't really work all that well, the bathrooms really didn't work all that well:eek:, and the track food was highly inedible. Who cares, the racing was awesome--especially when you had racers who knew how to use the dirt "levee" when firing off of turn two:rolling:--and you always seemed to have "off track" entertainment. (translation: "Security to the pits, we need security to the pits!!")

Favorite memory from Godfrey: Seeing Donnie Beechler nearly beat Sammy Swindell at the Shaheen Super Weekend race in '88. If I remember correctly, Donnie broke the drive line with about 10 laps to go in the feature.

10/10/07, 8:16 PM   #44
Danny Burton

I give up, Dwight. Lookin' for race results in the wrong places....:headbang:

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

10/10/07, 8:23 PM   #45
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
I give up, Dwight. Lookin' for race results in the wrong places....:headbang:
The other track that ran two USAC midget races in '63 and one in '64 was Islip Speedway on Long Island. Neither Columbus, IN or Islip saw the USAC midgets prior to '63 or after '64.

10/10/07, 9:06 PM   #46
jerrythar500

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 7

Anyone remember the Fast Track 25th & Ft. Harrison rd., Terre Haute. Ford 60 and Elto engined midgets, Castor oil. What a smell to remember!

10/10/07, 9:10 PM   #47
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOR4 View Post
Warsaw!!!! A driver by the name of Dwayne Barker comes to mind?
Yes sir. Dwayne drove the 33B Barker Auto Sales car. He, Bimbo Atkins in the 36A Trading Gate Auto Sales car, Denny England in the 84 Classic Car Center car, and Tony Elliott in the 57 (who surprisingly was not sponsored by a car lot..that I remember anyway ) would battle for the championship annually.

Warsaw was the first place I saw DD run in the 36D. Been a fan ever since. :thumb:

10/10/07, 9:28 PM   #48
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTBUS View Post
:applaud:

SWEET OWEN IS WHERE I FIRST STARTED RACING.AT THAT TIME ALL WE RAN WERE STRAIGHT SIXES.
I LOVED TO RUN THERE BUT THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO PARK ANYTHING.PITS WERE VERY SMALL.
I REMEMBER THAT WE WOULD QUALIFY 1 LAP THEN PARK IN THE INFIELD.LAST CAR OUT WOULD TAKE 2 LAPS THEN THE ONES IN THE INFIELD WOULD TAKE THERE OTHR LAP. --- GOOD TIMES FOR ALL --:applaud:
My dad ran a straight six there for awhile. He always tried to build his cars from Chevy II's. Jerry Dubois drove his car in the later years. There was a guy named Homer Galyan (sp) who used to bring three cars. I think one in the bed of a dump truck and two on a trailer.

I remember Ray Godsey and Don Hobbs running there. Godsey and Hobbs had some legendary battles on that little bullring.

By the time my dad let me go they had stoped running sprinters :crying:

I remember that there was a pretty significant drop off the back straight.

Whoever started this post, thanks.:applaud:

10/10/07, 9:42 PM   #49
worm

warsaw,, Bunker Hill,,,,old Kokomo,,,,,avilla

When i was growing up that was a complete weekend at a couple of these tracks....
Just to add to your list----:thumb:
Steve Kline in the Mr. steves rent to own car,,,,,,Sam Davis yellow 43,,,,,,,,Kevin atkins,,, Randy woodling Mike mann and the list goes on and on

10/11/07, 5:51 AM   #50
RandyF46

Ascot, Baylands and MMP (Memphis Motorsports Park).

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite track that is no longer around