IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite track that is no longer around
10/10/07, 2:33 PM   #21
Re: Favorite track that is no longer around
Bubzilla

1). The one mile dirt track at the Fairgrounds in Phoenix.

2). Ascot.

3). The 1/2 mile track at El Centro.

10/10/07, 2:44 PM   #22
RACEADDICT

http://www.freewebs.com/springfields...tcarphotos.htm.

For all of you old Shaheens speedway fans check out this sight. Really cool old photos of sprints and midgets.

10/10/07, 2:45 PM   #23
Jerry Shaw

My favorite track from the past, that has died and no longer exists:

Putnamville

Jerry

Winston Churchill

10/10/07, 3:01 PM   #24
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntbusco View Post
1. Warsaw Speedway- what are a beautiful location

2. Avilla Motor Speedway- That was a racy little joint

Has to be those for me. Those were the two tracks I went to all the time as a kid.

I would have loved to have seen Ascot.

10/10/07, 3:20 PM   #25
aXe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSprinter View Post
Wow....I know I'll be leav'n some out,But heres just a few.... Old S.J. Spwy..Baylands Rwy Pk...Vallejo Spwy...W.Capitol...Clovis...Kearny Bowl...and mabe just the greatest of all time, "Ascot Park".....Whew!!....What memories they hold......
Well I guess you never went to Alviso :checkered:or Belmont :checkered:or Whiteman field:checkered: and just shortly gone stockton 99:checkered: spdwy.
Hey AustinSprinter;13831 we are in the same area now. I am from Santa clara (The real silicon valley!)
aXe

10/10/07, 3:27 PM   #26
FishBurger

1. New Bremen (Dirt) & New Bremen (Paved)

2. Tri-County (Dirt) & Later renamed Queen City (Paved)

3. Dayton Speedway

4. Reading Fairgrounds

5. Lawrenceburg (The 1/2 mile - Only saw one race there. It was wild.)

6. Ascot (Never made it out there but all those Cali folks couldn't be wrong.)

7. Lawrenceburg (The 1/4 mile :wink1: )

10/10/07, 4:20 PM   #27
FOR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
My favorite track from the past, that has died and no longer exists:

Putnamville

Jerry
:rolling:Everytime I read this I fall for it. I to for years and years in the 80's went to Lincoln Park on Friday night or Saturday, Late Models ran on Sunday I can not remember. I think it was the best track I have ever been to. If I win the lotto tonight things will be different or go back to the way it was. There is no better seating at any track anywhere. I worked with a lady who was the wife of a Late Model and Mod driver named Larry Taylor who won countless races there. I hated going to work on Monday and hearing how much better those cars where than Sprintcars. They had a match race one night Late Model vs Sprintcar the late model won thank you Terry Shepperd (sp) I lost a bundle of money and pride:emote20: anything I said this is all in fun.

10/10/07, 4:27 PM   #28
Sprint Fan

There has already been a couple of votes for it, but without hesitation mine is Ascot Park!

Only got to visit a few times before it closed in 1990, but one time we actually saw Evil Knevil making some hot laps in a sprint car, a #56 that I think at the time was Gary Pattersons ride.

Man that was 30 years ago! OMG!

10/10/07, 4:27 PM   #29
Dwight Clock

Since I have been to 104 tracks that no longer exist I have to break it down. Dirt short track, pavement short track, and special event track. The dirt short track would be Reading, as mentioned by Marv. Reading was simply the greatest dirt track ever. USAC sprinters were incredible there and the weekly modified battles are legendary. Over the years such names that are well known to sprint car fans such as Dick Tobias, Bobby Allen, Kenny Weld, URC champs Dave Kelly & Glenn Fitzcharles competed there with the likes of Gerry Chamberlain, kenny Brightbill, Al Tasnady, Bobby Gerhart (father of the current ARCA star), Harry & Mose Moore, Freddy Adam and many, many others. It was the toughest weekly racing ever seen. The paved short track would be Fulton, N.Y. It has been a dirt track for over 30 years now but the pavement is still there underneath. A 1/3 mile, it is 60 feet wide on the straights and 100 feet wide in the apex of the turns. Weekly fare was the modifieds, and for a time, the mods were paired with the Oswego super modifieds. What a show. Geoff Bodine, Maynard Troyer, Richie Evans, Roger & Merv Treichler, Dutch Hoag in the mods. Nolan Swift, Jim Shampine, Warren Coniam, Norm Mackereth in the supers. Heats, consis, and 30 lap features for $5! And the special events track would be Langhorne. Never saw sprints there but champ cars and modifieds were spectacular. The modified National Open in October was THE race weekend of the year. Great memories!:applaud::thumb:

10/10/07, 4:30 PM   #30
Speedracer

The old (flat) Kokomo Speedway.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite track that is no longer around