IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Troubling Kokomo Talk
4/29/21, 12:24 AM   #1
Troubling Kokomo Talk
flagboy55

So if you’re on the Twitter, you might have heard of a chat session that takes place on Monday called Midget Monday. You can click on it and listen to some entertaining (for the most part) conversation hosted by Brian Dunlap, who if I’m not mistaken works for WRG and owns and fields midgets, especially for Chili Bowl. Plenty of people are involved, most just listening but everyone from fans to promoters to racers are involved. So I’m listening this past Monday and I hear a couple drivers, who have been around our beloved Kokomo Speedway talking about how they shaved some bank out of it because someone thought “the top was too fast”. Got me to thinking if this may be true? The wingless race that was run in conjunction with the Outlaws a couple weeks ago may have been among the most bland races I remember seeing there. Applause to Matt Westfall for winning it, but it was terribly boring watching them run straight around the bottom. Now granted, the track was admittedly pretty used up after 40 laps of Wings, but I can’t remember seeing a freight train like that in recent memory. After listening to the conversation and watching that race, I have to wonder if there’s any truth to it. I hope not because it didn’t become Indiana’s Baddest Bullring by slowing down the top. I know Josh and some other’s on here like my buddy Mr Funk, are closer to some of the sources. Maybe they can say if any of it is true?

1 member likes this post: spicoli
4/29/21, 1:35 AM   #2
Re: Troubling Kokomo Talk
Sprint63122

They moved the tires into the infield a long time ago been flat track racing ever since. When they originally rebuilt it was done right and the racing was good. So yes they where correct in saying what they did on midget monday glad someone finally had the backbone to say on a broadcast. Looks like the same thing has been done down at LPS tires scooted into the infield and flat track there also, guess these kids still think there racing quarter midgets and can not handle the speeds now or banking just like Eldora was neutered a few years back.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART, skids59, spicoli
4/29/21, 1:41 AM   #3
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
So if you’re on the Twitter, you might have heard of a chat session that takes place on Monday called Midget Monday. You can click on it and listen to some entertaining (for the most part) conversation hosted by Brian Dunlap, who if I’m not mistaken works for WRG and owns and fields midgets, especially for Chili Bowl. Plenty of people are involved, most just listening but everyone from fans to promoters to racers are involved. So I’m listening this past Monday and I hear a couple drivers, who have been around our beloved Kokomo Speedway talking about how they shaved some bank out of it because someone thought “the top was too fast”. Got me to thinking if this may be true? The wingless race that was run in conjunction with the Outlaws a couple weeks ago may have been among the most bland races I remember seeing there. Applause to Matt Westfall for winning it, but it was terribly boring watching them run straight around the bottom. Now granted, the track was admittedly pretty used up after 40 laps of Wings, but I can’t remember seeing a freight train like that in recent memory. After listening to the conversation and watching that race, I have to wonder if there’s any truth to it. I hope not because it didn’t become Indiana’s Baddest Bullring by slowing down the top. I know Josh and some other’s on here like my buddy Mr Funk, are closer to some of the sources. Maybe they can say if any of it is true?
"Mr. Funk" hasn't been posting here for quite a while & is facing some very serious (non COVID) health issues. Might wanna give him a call....

2 members like this post: fish, jim goerge
4/29/21, 2:38 AM   #4
fish

I don't have any idea if Kokomo made changes or not. I'll just say that the expertise of the O'Connors on how to lay out that bullring for great racing has been proven.
Last edited by fish; 4/29/21 at 2:40 AM.

4/29/21, 7:01 AM   #5
reeserx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
It was a boring non wing feature but like you said it could of been from the track just being used up. It was pretty windy that day too. I think this weekend will really show if it’s true or not. Midgets usually always put on a great show at Kokomo. Takin the camper up there today! Real excited!

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
4/29/21, 10:13 AM   #6
flagboy55

First off, I want to be clear, I didn’t say anything, I was just reporting on what a couple real racers were commenting on in an open forum. They didn’t say anything bad about any person, just critical of what they thought were changes in the track. I put it out there as a topic for discussion, because isn’t that what we’re all here for? Fish you’re correct, they’re proven without a doubt, and like Reeserx referred, the feature that night was an anomaly, the Outlaws race was grand. Sprint63122, I couldn’t agree more with you about the nurturing of Eldora, and part of that is why I threw this out there. I hope Kokomo never changes a bit because in my opinion it has earned its nickname. And Rev , I’ve been on the phone with Brent, but he has snuck back on here lately but sparingly. As it stands now the plan is I’ll be joining you there Friday and watching all Saturday on Flo. By the way, anyone have any good Kentucky Derby picks?

6 members like this post: chrismattlin, EBookerFan, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, reeserx, spicoli
4/29/21, 11:19 AM   #7
BrentTFunk

If you guys remember last year Kyle Larson said the track had a little less banking than he remembered. They took some out 2 years ago, but as far as I know haven't changed it since. The change was very small. This weekend is going to be a bummer for me. I have not missed a USAC Midget race at Kokomo since I have been able to drive, and not many before that. Should be a good show, and after last years wild finish, I would say its still pretty racy.

4/29/21, 6:16 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Actually heard a owner/mech say it's not been the same kokomo as three and four don't come in up top anymore (Not always, But often)

Personally I think the guys can just hook em up better and more can do it down low. If you can get around in a shorter amount of space. YOU DO ITl if the bottom is fast. you'd have to be almost flawless up top just to match it.

1 member likes this post: hupp#9
4/29/21, 6:40 PM   #9
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
If you guys remember last year Kyle Larson said the track had a little less banking than he remembered. They took some out 2 years ago, but as far as I know haven't changed it since. The change was very small. This weekend is going to be a bummer for me. I have not missed a USAC Midget race at Kokomo since I have been able to drive, and not many before that. Should be a good show, and after last years wild finish, I would say its still pretty racy.
Totally agree, Brent. My group thought it was changed 2 or 3 years ago, or at the very least the top just got dug out enough it lost some banking. I also know the O’Conners put new clay/ dirt on it every few years so maybe it was done in that process. Personally, I’ve not heard anything about taking even more grading out but i do know they wont rest until it’s fixed if any new changes makes it a one line track.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, oppweld, rapid robert, tirespinner
4/30/21, 9:09 PM   #10
reeserx

Ok, so I just talked to the man himself, Reece o’Conner. They have not removed anything. They haven’t removed any banking at all.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Troubling Kokomo Talk