IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Outlaw Origins
10/31/21, 3:36 AM   #1
Outlaw Origins
flagboy55

So this past evening, the WOO returned to the track that hosted their very first race, The Devils Bowl in Mesquite Texas. This got me thinking back to the good ol days. Some folks that are relatively new to the sport, might not know that there was a time when the Outlaws ran without the unnecessary air assistance device’s that are mandatory today. The track designated the requirement for wings. The closest track to us that ran the World of Outlaws was the late great Santa Fe Speedway. I’m sure at least one, but maybe 2 of their first races in Hinsdale were wingless. My point is, wouldn’t it be great if it were still that way. Could you imagine an Outlaw weekend through Indiana where they shedded the billboards and roughed it up with the USAC and local regulars. I would pay to see that! Anyway, do any of you fine folks have any memories of going to an early Outlaw show that was run topless? Would love to hear it

10/31/21, 8:06 AM   #2
Re: Outlaw Origins
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I went to a late-season race at Ascot one year (Pacific Coast Open maybe?) that was sanctioned by WOO and non-wing; if I remember Steve Kinser (Karl Kinser 11) beat local CRA hero Buster Venard (Elias Ready Mix 4) by inches at the line. May have been the other way around but I do remember the place was packed and when they came to the checkers you had no choice but to stand up because the bodies on either side of you were squeezing you like the bun of a hotdog and when they stood, you stood. Still one of the most exciting races I ever attended.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

10/31/21, 12:01 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

The first Outlaw race I saw was at Kokomo. It was wingless. Steve beat his Dad Bobby in the feature. Don't think we will ever see the outlaws with out wings. They are a great billboard for advertising. I feel like that is why NASCAR became more popular than Indycar. Corporations put more money into stockcars, because their logos were bigger on the cars. The Outlaws race Saturday night was pretty good from what I saw.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 10/31/21 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, duel, nathans1012
10/31/21, 12:15 PM   #4
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
So this past evening, the WOO returned to the track that hosted their very first race, The Devils Bowl in Mesquite Texas. This got me thinking back to the good ol days. Some folks that are relatively new to the sport, might not know that there was a time when the Outlaws ran without the unnecessary air assistance device’s that are mandatory today. The track designated the requirement for wings. The closest track to us that ran the World of Outlaws was the late great Santa Fe Speedway. I’m sure at least one, but maybe 2 of their first races in Hinsdale were wingless. My point is, wouldn’t it be great if it were still that way. Could you imagine an Outlaw weekend through Indiana where they shedded the billboards and roughed it up with the USAC and local regulars. I would pay to see that! Anyway, do any of you fine folks have any memories of going to an early Outlaw show that was run topless? Would love to hear it
I miss Santa Fe Speedway. Being so close to home plus Howard was one hell of a promoter.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, K92
10/31/21, 12:17 PM   #5
TQ29m

I remember going to paragon and watching it evolve, Boom Boom Cannon, Kinser, and the rest were just starting with the first homemade plywood wings, boy that was a while back. I also remember the rear engine indy car that YehDone ran, that Chuck Buzak built and ran at Indy, which I was very happy to help him build, long ago.
Last edited by TQ29m; 10/31/21 at 5:19 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin
10/31/21, 1:23 PM   #6
ISF

Santa Fe had an aura of lore and like most everyone else I loved the place. Got in on the last half dozen or so years of it's existence. Never got to see the WoO's at Santa Fe but it had to be one of the first tracks in Illinois to host a WoO sanctioned event.

We saw some great USAC Sprint Car shows and several of the 200 lap National Clay Track Championship's featuring the dirt late models. I even got to see a USAC Stock Car show at Santa Fe during the time when the short lived non descript looking generic late models were a USAC division after they (USAC) did away with the full bodied stock cars similar to NASCAR Cup division. Kevin Gundaker muscled up on Billy Moyer during the last lap and passed Moyer. One of the only times I ever remember seeing Moyer thoroughly pissed off and hit a guy on the cool down lap!!

The actual racing at Santa Fe was as often than not outflanked by the aura and lore. The place used to get like a skating rink, especially on the south end of the bigger track that was also used as part of the 1/4 mile.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, nathans1012, oppweld, racenut69
10/31/21, 2:38 PM   #7
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
I miss Santa Fe Speedway. Being so close to home plus Howard was one hell of a promoter.
One of my favorite memories of all time is from Santa Fe. The first night of a two-day show, one of the cars was particularly slow. Looked like a slowly moving speed bump on the track. He is lucky that someone didn't run over him. I got there early enough for hot laps the second night. Suddenly, this same car came onto the track and set the track on fire. Only then did the announcer tell us there had been a driver change. Rich Vogler was driving the car that night, and drive it he did! That night I once again appreciated his greatness.

8 members like this post: BrentTFunk, K92, luckybuc97, mlamb, nathans1012, oppweld, racenut69, TQ29m
10/31/21, 4:23 PM   #8
Sausage

This brings back memories. First saw Woo at Baylands Raceway Park in Fremont CA. Spent almost all my summer nights there for 7 years. Remember talking for several minutes with Dave Blaney one year about Carbon Fiber as we were doing some work with that at the time for our work. Saw a ton of great drivers there and still a bit peeved at the track closing.

10/31/21, 4:46 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

First year several tracks at the same time could host a WoO race. Much like UMP Points.

Late eighties USAC did a promoters choice for Wing or not for a couple years and several all stars joined the shows that were wing.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld
10/31/21, 9:43 PM   #10
opnwhlmnd

Had the pleasure as a senior in high school to attend the first WoO race at Devil's Bowl. One my heroes Tom Corbin, who I consider one of the very best ever to race a sprint car, finished third. Rode down with Ray Marler who now runs I-55 Raceway (Pevely) for Schrader. Ray actually replaced Corbin with Schrader a few years later in his 14 sprint car.

Jimmy Boyd won without a wing.

I still have my t-shirt from that day. It says .. "World of Outlaws Run Whacha Brung" and has a wing car on front and a non-wing car on the back.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Outlaw Origins