IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Red flag on lap 51 of the 2010 Hoosier 100
Yes, throw the red on lap 51 for the fans. 9 8.74%
No uneccesary stoppage for whole 100 laps. 49 47.57%
I will attend either way 17 16.50%
I will not attend if there is a red flag on lap 51 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2010 Hoosier 100 decision?
5/22/10, 11:48 AM   #41
Re: 2010 Hoosier 100 decision?
ISP1700

The sad thing is that this races support has dwindled to the point that some sort of drastic action is necessary. Anybody who attended the race last year can plainly see that this event is on life support. Lucky if there were 2000 people in the stands. Bringing in Ken Schrader and the modifieds, along with a change of race format were just two ideas to drum up some interest and raise the gate proceeds. I am neutral on this because I like the traditional format, but I know that nothing stays the same forever. I do know I would hate it worse if there were no champ cars on the miles anymore. Bob Sargent is one of the best dirt track promoters in the country. If he can't make it work, and the Foyt group couldn't make it work, then who in their right mind would ever think USAC could pull this thing off themselves. Are you serious? There are 2 clear choices here. Get out there and support the race, or don't and let it die. Cause in the end there really is nothing more to talk about.

1 member likes this post: Steve Wendel
5/22/10, 3:22 PM   #42
Re: 2010 Hoosier 100 decision?
nonwing

Well I think it is clear to me that Shane Hollingsworth won the last true Hoosier 100 champ car race. Oh, sorry, Silvery Crown race. These cars are designed to go long distances with no pit stops. So every team goes into the race with a fuel and tire strategy. Not to mention weight. It has been known that if the wear on your right rear is down to almost the cord it has taken away enough weight that the car has become illegal weight-wise. That's incredible, I think.

Now the strategy has changed... Do guys now go out and buy smaller fuel sells to save weight? Do they stock up on softer tires? Now, I haven't looked very closely at the rules, but do guys now run two sets of tires? One set for each 50? Sounds expensive to me.

But here's another thought.. and I realize I leave myself open for debate... I know we lost Jeff Thickston several years ago during a USAC sprint car race on the Indiana State Fair mile and maybe that is enough to say, these sprinters are just too fast and dangerous for a mile. But I say, if you put guys on the banks, then put them on the mile. You cannot tell me that running Winchester and Salem is safer than the Fairgrounds mile. Hell, I ran a midget on both ISFG and the Illinois mile track. Yep, it was fast, but not nearly has hairy as running those banks.

So Mr. Sargent, have a true sprint car race and don't mess with the Champ Cars. You could still have your twin 50's like when Foyt won both sprint races on the mile back in the day. Then when you find the money to promote a race in the right way, bring those big dawgs back and see them go at it for 100 miles like they are designed to do. And, if you spend your marketing dollars right, you will see a very nice crowd for your pocket book.

George Wilkins

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2010 Hoosier 100 decision?