IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2010 Hut Hundred- The Perfect Storm
5/9/10, 10:22 PM   #1
2010 Hut Hundred- The Perfect Storm
Jerry Shaw

There they were. Both of them were legendary storms, in their own right. One had plodded it’s way all the way across the country, building in intensity as it made it’s way East. The other had bounced it’s way around the Illini state, leaving destruction in it’s wake. Then everybody realized that these two tempests were on a collision course. Even worse, the area of their anticipated merger was in one of the most volatile of environments. One that would allow the product of this collision to be greater than the sum it's collective parts (USAC and POWRI). And one that would allow it’s counter-clockwise whirlwind to sit in place and continue for an extended period of time. If, environmental conditions could remain ideal. If everything fell into place, as the computer models were suggesting, we were looking at the perfect storm. A Storm Warning was in effect, until 11 pm. Central Time, for Gibson County. This warning included the cities Ft. Branch and Haubstadt.

As the John Deere tractors and other track prep vehicles that you only see at Haubstadt slowly made their way around the oval, you just had the feeling that this was the calm before the storm. The atmosphere was now perfect. The winds definitely began to pick up and blow onshore as hot laps heated up. And as qualifications slammed into the coast, you began to realize that you were in it’s path and it was too late to get out of the way. The qualifying races were even more intense, as some drivers atoned for their qualifying mistakes and others watched their good fortune slip away. During the leading eye wall of this behemoth, this storm was known as Hurricane Brad, as he scorched the circuit, flying around the beautiful cushion that it had accumulated. It looked like this Storm Stories episode had already been written and was ready to turn into the programming staff. Then, on a yellow flag, somewhere around the 75th rotation of this typhoon, it’s character began to change. The eye was now passing overhead and you had your first opportunity to catch a breath. The runner up at the time was not only starting to turn the tide, he was actually beginning to reel the leader in. The next yellow gave him the chance to get rid of some lapped cars and begin to take his shots. The yellow after that one, it was pretty obvious that the name of this hurricane was about to change. And it did. But, not without a fight. And an epic one, at that. And then when the trailing eye wall came ashore and the storm’s name changed to Hurricane BC, it’s speed picked up. It was shorter in duration than the first part of the storm, but was even more intense. And in the end, the latter part of this one will be the only part that ever counted. Because for everybody else, other than those of who lived through this historic cyclone, it’ll only be known by one name. BC. And it should be, because he patiently stalked the guy who led most of the first 88 percent of this Instant Classic and seized control, once he had worked his way to within striking distance. But lucky were we, the storm victims, who got to see how this episode of Storm Stories unfolded.

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 5/10/10 at 12:14 PM.

5/10/10, 9:10 PM   #2
Re: 2010 Hut Hundred- The Perfect Storm
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Jerry, your Macon tale was my favorite until now. No more. This tops them all. As always, a pleasure to read. Thank you.

1 member likes this post: Jerry Shaw
5/11/10, 12:14 AM   #3
JstAbvVMC

NOW THAT IS COOL. Great Job Jerry....Almost as good as BC !!

5/11/10, 6:57 AM   #4
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
other track prep vehicles that you only see at Haubstadt
Jerry, nice story. I could see them track prep vehicles streamed over the net. I always enjoy seeing odd or rare track prep vehicles and just different things that set apart racetracks besides the obvious.

Anybody have any shots of these vehicles?

5/11/10, 12:26 PM   #5
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
Jerry, your Macon tale was my favorite until now. No more. This tops them all. As always, a pleasure to read. Thank you.
What a race!! I left there pretty fired up and I still am. With this one and the previous week's race @ Bloomington, I have seen two Race of the Year candidates in the last ten days. Two great ones like that and we're not even half way into May, yet.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5/11/10, 4:32 PM   #6
glover8

How bout Hud Cone? i Think he ran his butt off and got burnt in turn 4.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/11/10, 11:36 PM   #7
farriswheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post
Jerry, nice story. I could see them track prep vehicles streamed over the net. I always enjoy seeing odd or rare track prep vehicles and just different things that set apart racetracks besides the obvious.

Anybody have any shots of these vehicles?
Here is a photo of the push vehicles compliments of the Morgans
Attached Images
TSS pushtrucks.jpg (112.1 KB, 53 views)

3 members like this post: apexonephoto, coachmeece, wildman92
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2010 Hut Hundred- The Perfect Storm