IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Subarumidget (Offline)
  #1 10/19/21 7:11 PM
Has anyone tried cutting, patching or modifying a bladder? This is a midget bladder made for alcohol. Ours is leaking somewhere. But I been wanting to cut and modify the shape of the bladder anyways. Is there a certain method, glue, or materials I should use? Any suggestions? Trying to make something similar to the Saldana style midget bladder.
Tony74 (Offline)
  #2 10/20/21 11:18 AM
www.hartwig-fuelcell.com
Will repair at a reasonable cost, probably can modify as well too.
brettgrace (Offline)
  #3 10/20/21 7:29 PM
Originally Posted by Subarumidget:
Has anyone tried cutting, patching or modifying a bladder? This is a midget bladder made for alcohol. Ours is leaking somewhere. But I been wanting to cut and modify the shape of the bladder anyways. Is there a certain method, glue, or materials I should use? Any suggestions? Trying to make something similar to the Saldana style midget bladder.
If it's just a pinhole leak I have had success with a patch repair kit from the bicycle store. For anything else I'd leave it to the professionals.
2 Likes: erich45, jjones752
Midget98 (Offline)
  #4 10/21/21 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Subarumidget:
I have had great success in patching holes with a cheap vulcanizing patch kit for tubes/tires. I've fixed puncture holes as big as 1/2" as well as leaks at seams and pinholes in other areas. As far as altering the shape of the bladder, I think there might be more needed than simple patches or glue.
2 Likes: jjones752, jonboat15
jjones752 (Offline)
  #5 10/21/21 1:57 PM
I think you'd be better off looking for a used Saldana fuel-forward bladder in decent shape, especially if the one you have is already leaking. Patches are one thing but making major alterations to one of the most important pieces of safety equipment you have is a whole other Pandora's Can of Worms...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
3 Likes: jdull99, jonboat15, luckybuc97
TQ29m (Online)
  #6 10/21/21 2:22 PM
A friend got "horned " one night, and we stopped it with clear silicone caulk, tipped the car to get the fuel away from the hole, let it evaporate dry, said a few words, let the silicone wax over, and made it through the night, nothing leaked. Next day I put some alcohol in a bottle, put some silicone on a piece of aluminum welding rod, dropped it wet in the bottle, lid on the bottle, and so help me they are still like that, and that's been at least 10 years ago. The silicone set up on the rod in the bottle!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #7 10/21/21 8:20 PM
We’ve used shoe goo to fix pin hole leaks, works great!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #8 10/21/21 8:23 PM