IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Midgets added to winter dirt games to open 2019 usac s
10/2/18, 10:20 AM   #1
Usac: Midgets added to winter dirt games to open 2019 usac s
admin

10/2/18 10:14 AM MIDGETS ADDED TO WINTER DIRT GAMES TO OPEN 2019 USAC SEASON IN FLORIDA

More...

MIDGETS ADDED TO WINTER DIRT GAMES TO OPEN 2019 USAC SEASON IN FLORIDA

By: Richie Murray – USAC Media

Ocala, Florida………The season-opening kickoff to USAC’s 2019 National calendar has expanded with the addition of USAC Midget National Championship racing to the February festivities at Bubba Raceway Park along with the annual appearance by the USAC AMSOIL Sprint Car National Championship.

"Winter Dirt Games has annually been one of the USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Cars’ greatest traditions over the past decade,” said Levi Jones, USAC Series Coordinator. *"The addition of USAC National Midgets to the event adds makes it even that much bigger.* This is truly going to be a can’t-miss event, and what a way it will be to open up the 2019 USAC season!”

The Midgets will make their debut at the 3/8-mile D-shaped dirt track on Thursday, February 7, with an open practice, followed by two consecutive, full nights of racing on Friday, February 8 and Saturday, February 9, the first appearance by the series in the Sunshine State in five seasons.

The following week, USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Car racing returns to Ocala once again for the ninth consecutive year to kick off its season at “Winter Dirt Games.”* The mini-series will take place at Bubba Raceway Park with an open practice night on Wednesday, February 13, then three complete full programs on Thursday, February 14, Friday, February 15 and Saturday, February 16.

While "Winter Dirt Games" has certainly proven to be a top-notch event among drivers seeking to get their season started off on the right foot, it's also been the same for fans who exit the winter weather for a much-needed foray into the "Sunshine State" to witness the most competitive racing series' lone appearance in the state during the year.

“This is one of those events that everybody circles on their calendars,” track owner Tom Bean said.* “Next year, it’s getting even bigger and better with two premier USAC divisions on board and I’m beyond thrilled to get the 2019 season started in a big way.”

Twenty-one USAC National Sprint Car events have been held at the track since 2011.* Chase Stockon won the 2018 season opener at Ocala while Tyler Courtney captured the next two.* Bryan Clauson is the winningest USAC Sprint Car driver at Bubba's with four victories in four different seasons. Damion Gardner has won three times while Tracy Hines, Brady Bacon, Courtney and Robert Ballou have each scored a pair of victories. Darren Hagen, Dave Darland, Thomas Meseraull, Justin Grant, Stockon and Hunter Schuerenberg have all won once.

Meanwhile, USAC Midget events in the Florida has been few and far between since the inception of the club in 1956.* Only seven times have USAC Midgets ventured to Florida over the years.* The most recent occasion was on the pavement at New Smyrna Speedway in 2013, won by Bobby Santos and Kyle Larson.* *The first USAC Midget races in Florida came in a week span during 1963.* Johnny Riva and Bob Wente were victorious at Palmetto Speedway while Chuck Rodee and Wente also picked up victories at Golden Gate Speedway.* It was another 42 years before the series returned in 2005 for a non-points special event at Orlando Speed World Speedway, won by Josh Wise.

Additional info on the events will be made public in the coming months.**

10/2/18, 3:54 PM   #2
Re: Usac: Midgets added to winter dirt games to open 2019 us
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Interesting, maybe we should start making our plans for a two week vacation in February.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, tirespinner, wildman92
10/2/18, 9:46 PM   #3
Therealether

I want to be excited about it, but last time they were here they only drew about 14 cars. Midget racing never has and never will catch on in FL. It's too far to drive too early in the year to make it worthwhile to the masses.

10/2/18, 9:50 PM   #4
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealether View Post
I want to be excited about it, but last time they were here they only drew about 14 cars. Midget racing never has and never will catch on in FL. It's too far to drive too early in the year to make it worthwhile to the masses.
I’ll take 14 cars in Florida in February. Better than zero cars in Indiana in February. ☺️

10/2/18, 10:52 PM   #5
interpreter66

Quote:
14 for the 1st time on dirt in a long time,when something is unproven and uncertain,i’ll Take it ,that was something to build on.rember the white stuff between your toes in February here doesn’t require shoes!

4 members like this post: EltoJoe, jim goerge, tirespinner, wildman92
10/3/18, 10:44 AM   #6
Cage Faraday

Quote:
Plenty of D2’s around in Florida & South Georgia... Just sayin’.

3 members like this post: EltoJoe, jim goerge, Wayne Davis
10/4/18, 6:15 PM   #7
Therealether

Yeah, there's just an oversaturation of open wheel stuff sllcon the same nights though. Woo at Volusia while USAC is at bubba, and all stars at East bay all the same night. Drivers gotta pick and choose. I just wish they would all work together to get everyone the best all around experience.

10/4/18, 6:48 PM   #8
opnwhlmnd

There will be plenty of cars for a good show.

Hell Kunz and Clauson/Marshall stables almost make a full field.

2 members like this post: interpreter66, jim goerge
10/4/18, 8:37 PM   #9
interpreter66

Quote:
Yeah, there's just an oversaturation of open wheel stuff sllcon the same nights though. Woo at Volusia while USAC is at bubba, and all stars at East bay all the same night. Drivers gotta pick and choose. I just wish they would all work together to get everyone the best all around experience.
Most woo and all star guys don’t run midgets and the people that follow these 3 series will still go to their favorite series ,I know I will.
East bay 30 minutes from home -nope
Volousia 90 minutes from home- nope
Ocala. 90 minutes from home. -oh yeah

2 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Midgets added to winter dirt games to open 2019 usac s