IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT-Tin Tops on CBS-Your Thoughts?
6/21/11, 11:55 AM   #21
Re: OT-Tin Tops on CBS-Your Thoughts?
Gregg

I wished I would have known it was on. I would have preferred it over IndyCar at Milwaukee.

Tin tops or not, anytime they have a dirt race on TV it is a win-win for all of dirt track racing.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/21/11, 12:26 PM   #22
cmakin

Given the right conditions, the late models can put on a very good show. It is just too often that they are "follow the leader". We had a WoO LM 100 lapper at Battleground Speedway the year before last, and it was a barn burner, several lead changes throughout the race, right up to the checkered flag. Too bad the track owner lost a whole bunch of money on the deal (crowd of only 300 to 400). The 50 lapper was a decent race last year, but after losing even more money (no advertising - "word of mouth" and a crowd of about 150-200) they won't be back.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/21/11, 12:50 PM   #23
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
Given the right conditions, the late models can put on a very good show. It is just too often that they are "follow the leader". We had a WoO LM 100 lapper at Battleground Speedway the year before last, and it was a barn burner, several lead changes throughout the race, right up to the checkered flag. Too bad the track owner lost a whole bunch of money on the deal (crowd of only 300 to 400). The 50 lapper was a decent race last year, but after losing even more money (no advertising - "word of mouth" and a crowd of about 150-200) they won't be back.
That's exactly why there are almost no late model races in northern Indiana this year. The promotors were disappointed with the size of some of the crowds and have stopped scheduling any late model races. The races were fantastic, like the Summer Nationals race at Kokomo last year. But the promotors often put little effort into promoting the shows and usually give them a weeknight event which cuts into the crowd since the majority of fans have to work the next day. I know a large portion of the users on this board go to the parking lot when the sprints aren't racing, but they would realize that there is some great racing they are missing out on if they just get off their high horse long enough to see it.

I enjoyed the "reality" part of the show where the camera crews visited the race shops and talked about how these drivers have worked to get where they are. It reminded me a little bit of the "Dirt Knights" show that was just fantastic following the USMTS modified drivers on Versus. If they could get something like that going for late models, it would be great for the exposure of the sport. Last year I had no idea who the hell Ryan Gustin is. But now when I read his name winning a modified race at Cedar Lake, I know who he is and how talented he is.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 6/21/11 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo

6/21/11, 6:08 PM   #24
Spi-nex

Think back to when you were a kid and picking a car. Usually a kid will pick some car that is easily seen (back in the early 90's my guy was Davey Allison because i could pick out that big 'Texaco' logo anywhere.... just like the kids from the late 90's watched Jeff Gordon because of that rainbow scheme).

When you watch 20+ dirt LM's (or any other full body car class), every car has some identifying feature that makes it unique. When you watch 20+ non-wings on track there is so little room for sponsors and numbers that there isn't any space left to make a car unique.

Regardless of the quality of racing or class, the layman race fan needs something to relate to.

The diehards will always know the who's who and where the racing will be, but the diehards can't keep racing afloat by themselves.

Don't get me wrong... I would never give up the racing at a place like Kokomo for ANYTHING. One of the most positive things I see at Kokomo and gives me hope for the future, is when the Sprints are firing off is all the younger kids come running to the stands to watch. Obviously the kids are hooked on something beyond what we understand. Maybe one of these days someone will ask those kids why they come running to the stands instead of running out to the parking lot to throw the football around like you see at so many other tracks. Whatever it is... maybe someone needs to take notice and build on that. Tintop's or not.

6/21/11, 6:41 PM   #25
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
I enjoyed the "reality" part of the show where the camera crews visited the race shops and talked about how these drivers have worked to get where they are. It reminded me a little bit of the "Dirt Knights" show that was just fantastic following the USMTS modified drivers on Versus. If they could get something like that going for late models, it would be great for the exposure of the sport. Last year I had no idea who the hell Ryan Gustin is. But now when I read his name winning a modified race at Cedar Lake, I know who he is and how talented he is.
The USMTS comes through this area a few times a year, and I am familiar with most of their folks. I also supply them with pictures for promotion and their website. The show (Dirt Knights) did a great job exposing the series (which offers some truly fantastic racing), but I think that the quality of the racing didn't really come across because of the format. That Gustin kid is something else. It is too bad that Kelly Shryock and Jason Hughes weren't part of the featured drivers. There is a huge rivalry between the two great drivers and car builders.

6/21/11, 6:52 PM   #26
TNRustler

I watched it and thought it was really good. Good production, interviews, etc. While I would never pass up a sprint race for the late models, I have seen some very good late model races. I think its good to see any any form of dirt track racing on tv.

6/22/11, 10:19 AM   #27
oldfan49

Guess they need TV more often at Wheatland. The local boards were blazing with how poor the track prep was the night was the night before for the qualifying night and how one lane the racing was (which is pretty much the norm for that track).
Every one was really buzzing that they opened up the track and watered for the Show Me, something they never ever do there. The lates put on a good show on a well prepped track, but you just don't see that very often, especially around here.
Glad they had a good one to show the non everyday fan dirt racing.

6/22/11, 3:53 PM   #28

I watched it. Top knotch for short track racing. This series is light years ahead of USAC. Hope to see more on national TV. I watch them weekly on the cable stations

6/22/11, 9:54 PM   #29
KMS2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48modracer View Post
Lucas Oil has their own production company. They do several different types of racing that is sponsored by Lucas oil. They are kind of like a throwback to the old Diamond P Motorsports on TNN. With the Lucas association with POWRI, they are taping a few more midget races this year to show on SPEED.
Correct, in fact it is my understanding that MavTV was started and is owned by Lucas Oil. I know they have taped the Lucas Oil Modified Series that is played on that channel.

The only other top tier late model series is the WOO late models, but that series does not have the television time like the Lucas Oil series and that is obviously because Lucas Oil is investing in the series.

The reason this got on TV was money. If you look at anything Lucas Oil you will see a huge investment into the promotion end especially for TV. I do not know for sure what it cost but I guarantee there was a financial investment from Lucas to get it on network television. But as indicated, they make the investment worthwhile and professional. I have watched almost all the dirt late model televised shows and they are always very well done. Even though open wheel is my first like, I still enjoy the dirt late models since I grew up around that type of racing in the early 80's.

There is absolutely no reason why sprints or midgets could not do the same, but right now there is no sanctioning body or series sponsor like Lucas Oil to put forth the monry to take it to TV.

The area on the side of the cars is far from being the reason it is on TV.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT-Tin Tops on CBS-Your Thoughts?