IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint evolution
7/15/12, 5:38 PM   #1
mini sprint evolution
latemodel55

Check out mini sprint evolution on facebook. Looks like a awsome cost saving idea. 1000cc engines are starting to get pretty expensive. This idea is pretty interesting. I understand Ford Motor Company has something to do with this.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
7/15/12, 7:36 PM   #2
Re: mini sprint evolution
Bill May

I read the facebook post & comments, Sounds like the ford focus series motor, HP about the same as a stock
1,000cc, the cars weigh about 100# more than an upright mini sprint w/o the wings, I beleive cost is 5-6k$, maybe they plan to reduce that,
Bike motors are not that hard to find, yet.

I like the concept, innovation can be a good thing, will follow the development,

Bill May

2 members like this post: utex28, Wayne Davis
7/18/12, 12:53 AM   #3
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill May View Post
I read the facebook post & comments, Sounds like the ford focus series motor, HP about the same as a stock
1,000cc, the cars weigh about 100# more than an upright mini sprint w/o the wings, I beleive cost is 5-6k$, maybe they plan to reduce that,
Bike motors are not that hard to find, yet.

I like the concept, innovation can be a good thing, will follow the development,

Bill May
I agree Bill....if the cost can be cut in half with out the high dollar bolt on acc. it can be very good...you can still find STOCK right off the bike engines at 2-3,000.00 ....as long as it can be policed as STOCK!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/18/12, 7:36 AM   #4
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

This engine will start out just like every other stock racing spec engine cheap. Then smart racers will find away to get the advantage and maje it faster. Therefore price of the engines will go up. Why change a good thing when its going good right now. Mini sprint car counts are way up since the uprights went to 1000 and got rid of the 600. All you guys have to do is your home work to go fast. Some of the people driving these mini sprint cant even work on them or tell the crew what the car is doing. These are not quarter midgets or karts. Races are won by work done in the shop and drivers knowledge of whats going on.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/18/12, 8:27 AM   #5
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS View Post
This engine will start out just like every other stock racing spec engine cheap. Then smart racers will find away to get the advantage and maje it faster. Therefore price of the engines will go up. Why change a good thing when its going good right now. Mini sprint car counts are way up since the uprights went to 1000 and got rid of the 600. All you guys have to do is your home work to go fast. Some of the people driving these mini sprint cant even work on them or tell the crew what the car is doing. These are not quarter midgets or karts. Races are won by work done in the shop and drivers knowledge of whats going on.

Posted via Mobile Device
I can sure see a lot of room for improvement on that motor they got in the picture. No way they can get more Hp through that plastic intake and little biddy throttle body than a modern day 1000cc pocket rocket motor. The Tsunami as well as other classes switching to these motors has caused a spike in price of them. Nothing like a shortage to bring the cost of doing business up, weather it be oil, doctors or 1000cc motorcycle motors.

You could spend a ton of money on that Ford motor. But hot rodding a late model 1000cc cycle motor is like buying a brand new Indy car and motor and going home and taking the motor apart and trying to making it faster. It just ain't going to happen. Once you break the case on that motor it just is never as good as that bone stock motor, I know.
It just ain't going to happen.

Honest Dad himself

3 members like this post: Copperhead, RustyEaton, Wayne Davis
7/18/12, 10:42 AM   #6
Bradleyracing86

I feel like this is a ford focus midget.

Tq evolution would be a better name.
How bout we combine focus, Tqs, and these cars... Rearends optional. 1000cc limit, wing or non wing.

Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

I don't know what we need but I do know we don't need another class of 72 inch and under cars... If the three cars could meet on rules car counts would be insane..

Still thinking about taking a 1000cc and putting in a driveline... Just to see what the difference would be.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 7/18/12 at 11:02 AM.

3 members like this post: DAD, El1teBr33ze, RickyBobby
7/18/12, 1:22 PM   #7
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
I feel like this is a ford focus midget.

Tq evolution would be a better name.
How bout we combine focus, Tqs, and these cars... Rearends optional. 1000cc limit, wing or non wing.

Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

I don't know what we need but I do know we don't need another class of 72 inch and under cars... If the three cars could meet on rules car counts would be insane..

Still thinking about taking a 1000cc and putting in a driveline... Just to see what the difference would be.

Posted via Mobile Device

Let's see you must be the one that works all the time and got more money than brains. Find a Kenyon car take out the old motor and put in an R-1 and you are off to the races. That is if you can keep your feet on the ground long enough to race.

Honest Dad himself

7/18/12, 1:33 PM   #8
backitin

I dont think minisprints need a evolution. 1000cc bike engines are about perfect for the cars. I like what DAD said.

1 member likes this post: STUMPS88
7/18/12, 1:52 PM   #9
latemodel55

Some insite Ford has worked with this engine in other forms of desert racing.These engines are going 5000mi plus with only spark plug and oil changes. Ford has a great way of locking the ecu so tech is easy.
Base engines can be bought all day long for $750.00. Yes there is a lot or room for hp improvements,but thats not what this is about. We are going to a chassis dyno with this engine and 2 other mini sprint engines to get a base line.

3 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, DAD, Tom23
7/18/12, 3:28 PM   #10
Bradleyracing86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Let's see you must be the one that works all the time and got more money than brains. Find a Kenyon car take out the old motor and put in an R-1 and you are off to the races. That is if you can keep your feet on the ground long enough to race.

Honest Dad himself

I do work all the time, but not a whole lot of money... Dad if I had your money I'd buy that hot air balloon and fly it over one of those pro women rally's ... What's you slogan on the balloon"no muff is too tough" !!!

Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint evolution