IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Controversy
3/11/19, 3:49 PM   #11
Re: Controversy
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It's not the same racing I grew up with. In them days drivers didn't make moves for the most part that might wreck someone else. If it took ten laps to make the pass, that's what it took.

Today, If there's a hole, you take it, If you can block, you block, If you can blast the cush and pass, you blast..

Not saying either way is better or worse. I've seen a lot of drivers drive the second way until they got hurt once Some came back better than ever, Some are still very good, still run up front and win sometimes, but don't risk it all every chance they get. Some never get back on top.

Bacon won the 2016 championship and only got the car upside down once the whole year and that was qualifying.

As far as these two, They're both on their game, Both fiercly competitive and ususally both up front. running together as often as they do, stuff's going to happen.

5 members like this post: interpreter66, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, PIT CART
3/11/19, 3:55 PM   #12
Charles Nungester

Moreover, I don't get why it wasn't a full points race. They got a couple more on the schedule also that aren't points races.

I think there is only one in the sprint class and none in the SC that aren't point races.

They all left with the same show up points.

3/11/19, 4:03 PM   #13
chathamracefan

From a completely non biased point of view...I was sitting in the stands towards turn 1. My initial reaction was that I thought Courtney clipped the inside berm & that got him out of sorts. It may be that the hit I saw was him hitting Grant's car. Grant had been leading & I didn't see Courtney up alongside him yet. From my view, I couldn't tell if he chopped his line or not. Maybe he did.

Just seemed like a racing deal to me, but I realize guys get heated in the middle of the battle. I also noticed Courtney having a spirited discussion with Levi Jones (I think) on the front straight during driver intros for the feature. I imagine it was carryover from the incident. Tyler seemed less than pleased.

They are both hard runners & it's gonna happen sometimes. Part of what makes the sport fun. A little cussin & discussin I like to call it.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, interpreter66, sprinter31
3/11/19, 4:40 PM   #14
BrentTFunk

No big deal, just indoor racing. Never knew anyone who left an indoor race with more friends than they came with. Only drama to drama queens like the 7 horse. Personally I have never thought either of those guys are dirty drivers. It happened, and now its over. Charles, the reason this race was feature points only, was to not punish someone for trying for the $50,000 bonus. I will say racing has changed. I can remember when Bobby Davis Jr nearly got ran out of PA for a slide job, now people think they are great. It was really good race.

3/11/19, 4:57 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
No big deal, just indoor racing. Never knew anyone who left an indoor race with more friends than they came with. Only drama to drama queens like the 7 horse. Personally I have never thought either of those guys are dirty drivers. It happened, and now its over. Charles, the reason this race was feature points only, was to not punish someone for trying for the $50,000 bonus. I will say racing has changed. I can remember when Bobby Davis Jr nearly got ran out of PA for a slide job, now people think they are great. It was really good race.
Last Duquion Indoor I made Smoke won and BC and Loyett were on the front straight fighting after the checker. I need to get back there. Glad they had a good crowd.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, mc/rider, PJ Wright, sprinter31
3/11/19, 5:02 PM   #16
Jerry Shaw

There's no controversy. Drivers get pissed off at one another, from time to time. It's always been that way and it always will be. The sport's filled with highly competitive and passionate individuals. Personally, if it wasn't I probably wouldn't love it the way I do.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

3/11/19, 5:42 PM   #17
popham

I was in the pits and watched the fists flying and Grant took a swat at someone with his helmet. Makes you wander with NOS spending big $$$$$ on this sport, what they think of two of there drivers constantly bickering like junior high kids. Both wearing NOS uniforms and Grant was standing in his car, with NOS energy drink everywhere. If this keeps escalating, they will be in faster cars and on bigger tracks, it’s not worth someone getting hurt.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Steve Wendel
3/11/19, 5:59 PM   #18
ISF

Does the FLORACING broadcast clearly show what happened? I was there but was watching another part of the track at the time of the dust up.

It seems every midget race at the Mini-Magic Mile has a little turmoil. I remember Christopher Bell having a dust up at Du Quoin not that long ago and I consider Bell a relatively clean and well calculated driver. Jake Neuman was rather unhappy with someone in the second B-main but I don't remember for sure who. Maybe Tyler Thomas? What I do remember is Neuman had every right to be upset.

I am not savvy enough to come up with any valid or provable reason but it seems that the December race is most always a bit better and more exciting show overall than the March race. That was the case this time around, as well.

The qualifier or B-main (can't remember for sure which) that DD won was by far the best racing of the whole night, IMHO!!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier
3/11/19, 6:36 PM   #19
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post

As far as these two, They're both on their game, Both fiercly competitive and ususally both up front. running together as often as they do, stuff's going to happen.
I agree.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, jim goerge, wallbanger II
3/11/19, 6:38 PM   #20
RockinRy

Race Count This Year: 12

FLoRacing Missed it...They cut to the camera from the guy on the infield and Courtney was already on the berm.
Buck said we'll find you a replay and then said darn it both the other cameras were on the Transfer spot.
Most of the non points races this year are the races with passing points instead of qualifying. (Shamrock, BC39, Hangtown 100) Not sure why the Leffler is a non points this year it has been in the past.

2 members like this post: ISF, luckybuc97
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Controversy