IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Seadog (Offline)
  #1 7/21/09 1:15 PM
...19 years ago today. We lost Rich Vogler. It was a terrible day for me. Couldn't eat. Couldn't sleep. Just imagine how his family felt. Please take a minute to thank God we had him on this planet for as long as we did.

He was one of my biggest heroes. R.I.P Rich.
3 Likes: 64chevy, billwill7, I Miss Manzy
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #2 7/21/09 1:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGnhO3abzXs

Charles Nungester
6 Likes: 64chevy, billwill7, Eatin Dirt, pletchfan, racefan20
ronmil (Offline)
  #3 7/21/09 2:48 PM
Originally Posted by Seadog:
...19 years ago today. We lost Rich Vogler. It was a terrible day for me. Couldn't eat. Couldn't sleep. Just imagine how his family felt. Please take a minute to thank God we had him on this planet for as long as we did.

He was one of my biggest heroes. R.I.P Rich.
Gregg,

I was there and I'll never forget what happened. He was one of the greatest racers to ever strap in a race car.

Ron Miller
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #4 7/21/09 2:55 PM
Went to a midget race in Maine that night. Got home and popped the tape in and watched. You're right Gregg, one of those moments we'll never forget.
David.
pletchfan (Offline)
  #5 7/21/09 3:00 PM
Interesting video.

RIP Rapid Rich
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #6 7/21/09 3:02 PM
I never saw a driver with a stronger desire to win, every single time they were on the track, than the great Rich Vogler. I know they already have a Rich Vogler Memorial @ Winchester, but I've always thought the Hut Hundred should also have Rich's name in it. He owned that race. R.I.P.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #7 7/21/09 3:04 PM
I didn't post anything with the tribute video link cause really, I prefer to cellebrate what Rich gave to us. He made us all a little *RICHER*

My thoughts always to the friends and families who lost a *Great One* that day! I like to think he looked down over sprintweek, Helped keep everyone safe and had a smile on his face saying to himself, "DANG! Their still at it! YEAH!!!!!!!"

Charles Nungester
Fisher79
  #8 7/21/09 4:04 PM
Not trying to rain on the parade here, but I never did understand why all the fans out there liked to cheer for a guy who, a lot of the time, appeared to not really care whether or not he ran over you or turned you around, as long as he got around you.

He won a ton of races and the statistics make his greatness pretty evident, but there are more than a handful of guys who won a bunch as well and won them in a much cleaner fashion, overall.

Fire away.
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #9 7/21/09 4:08 PM
The most polarizing driver there has ever been. Hated by many, but desire admired by all.

Love him or hate him, he wanted it worse than anyone else who has ever done it. Didn't care what you thought about him either.

Many think they have the desire to really race and compete, he was one of the few who actually ever has or had.

Can't say I was a "Fan", but damn he was a competitor.
midgy (Offline)
  #10 7/21/09 4:18 PM
Rich was one of my favorite drivers. I was at the King's Royal that night and fortunately not at Salem. I still remember my Dad pulling me off to the side and telling me. It is a moment that I will never forget. RIP - Rich