IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Friday Shackleford passes
2/21/14, 4:52 PM   #1
Friday Shackleford passes
TQ29m

Just got word a while ago that Friday Shackelford passed away at 92, not many on here might have known him, but he was from California, and never sat in a race car til he was 56 yrs old. He and his wife used to spend summers here, racing his TQ, he was a good friend of Dave Norris, they ran around together a lot, he sure had a lot of friends on the local scene. RIP old friend, and GOD SPEED! Bob

2/21/14, 5:05 PM   #2
Re: Friday Shackleford passes
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

We ran with Friday at Ventura back when I crewed for Jack Zimmerman; he wasn't neccessarily the fastest guy out there but he was awfully hard to pass when he got going around the bottom. Wore a roll of plastic fastened to the top of his visor with a serrated cutter, like a box of Saran Wrap; the only true "tear-offs" I ever saw.
One of his Granddaughters married Bobby Michnowicz, if I remember correctly.
I can't remember what his real first name was, but the story was that he got the nickname "Friday" because he was a six-day bicycle racer back in the 30's and he would lurk around in the back of the pack until Friday, then watch out!
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 2/21/14 at 7:42 PM.

4 members like this post: CA71, tirespinner, TQ29m, Xflagman
2/21/14, 5:46 PM   #3
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
We ran with Friday at Ventura back when I crewed for Jack Zimmerman; he wasn't neccessarily the fastest guy out there but he was awfully hard to pass when he got going around the bottom. Wore a roll of plastic fastened to the top of his visor with a serrated cutter, like a box of Saran Wrap; the only true "tear-offs" I ever saw.
One of his Granddaughters married Bobby Michnowitz, if I remember correctly.
I can't remember what his real first name was, but the story was that he got the nickname "Friday" because he was a six-day bicycle racer back in the 30's and he would lurk around in the back of the pack until Friday, then watch out!
Yes, Friday was one of a kind, I think he had a son or daughter marry someone around Rushville, so he's got "seeds" all over, he was as friendly a guy as you could ask for, and his wife was just like him, he had a rig he hauled his midget in, and they slept in that was the forerunner of the toy hauler, ya get ready to eat, just roll the car out, fold up the table, and start cooking, reverse that to go racing, his TQ is probably still around here somewhere, I know who he sold it to, but don't know if he kept it or not. He sure could keep ya intertained! Bob

5 members like this post: CA71, jjones752, luckybuc97, tirespinner, Xflagman
2/21/14, 6:57 PM   #4
treecitytornado

He would've been older than 56 when he was still racing. I know that I saw him run in the Mid 80s. That would put him in his early to Mid 60s.
Always enjoyed watching him!
Last edited by treecitytornado; 2/21/14 at 7:01 PM.

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
2/21/14, 7:17 PM   #5
TQ29m

Read it again, I said he never sat in a race car til he was 56! Let me put it another way, he started racing when he was 56! Bob!

5 members like this post: luckybuc97, racegurl68, racerjim2, tirespinner, Xflagman
2/21/14, 7:29 PM   #6
treecitytornado

I gotcha Bob, Sorry about that.

1 member likes this post: PitShack
2/21/14, 7:36 PM   #7
CA71

Really is cool to read these posts about my great-grandfather, or Bompa, as we called him. He lived for 92 lively and fun-filled years, before passing away peacefully in his sleep Thursday morning. His real name was Wardell E. Shackleford, but clearly "Friday" was much more appealing to the ears, haha. He and his wife of over 50 years, Betty, along with their three granddaughters, would spend their summers during the 80's traveling across Indiana and the rest of the midwest, racing his #41 Valvoline TQ whenever he could. As mentioned above by TQ29m, Friday had two granddaughters, Wendy and Cindy, who both married into other racing families, with Wendy marrying Bobby Michnowicz from California, and Cindy (my mom) marrying Michael Nigh (son of Carl Nigh) from Rushville. Both my mom and my aunt Wendy met their prospective husbands while on the TQ tours with my Nana and Bompa. I'm thankful for him introducing my parents to each other, as it has enabled my entire family to continue to grow up in the racing community. Friday raced well into his late 60's and early 70's before hanging up his helmet (yes, the one with roll of plastic) to spend time with Betty, his grandkids and great-grandkids. After TQ racing, he moved on to RC boat racing, which he did for over ten years with my Nana, Betty, who would "launch" his boat for every race, until her death in 2002. As it was mentioned above, Friday truly was "one of a kind," always wanting to be creative (a la, the plastic roll on the helmet), and always someone with a story to tell. I can't thank you all enough for the kind words about my Bompa, it truly means the world to me.

Cody Nigh

2/21/14, 8:16 PM   #8
Racer_dude35

I to was able to race with Friday in the 80s so sorry to hear of his passing RIP Friday we will miss you. The McCormick family in Martinsville,Indiana

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/22/14, 1:10 AM   #9
tim kelley

I started TQ's in 84, and the second person I met at the race track was Friday. A great guy and we had a lot of fun and laughs together. God Bless you Friday, and now you can Watch the races from Heaven.

2/22/14, 1:49 AM   #10
sprint18

Cody and family, sorry to hear of your loss! I also have great childhood memories of being around Friday and Betty! I always remember that 41 showing up mid summer ready for another year of racing. As i got old enough to enter the pits there were many times I would help Betty push Friday up to the starting gate with his foot tapping away in the floor board. You could always see the car bouncing away while he was waiting. Eventually I took over the driving duties from my Dad Warren and had opportunities to race against him. Like it was stated earlier if he started up front he was one of the hardest to get around! Eventually I helped sell his car to Scott "Scooter" Williamson. I ended up buying one of his helmets and of course it had the roll for tear offs on top. I actually still have it! I will try to give it to your Dad if he comes back for Sprint Week. Keep racin on Friday!- Travis Welpott

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Friday Shackleford passes