IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Other Classifieds > Advice
4/22/16, 10:26 PM   #1
Advice
Randyx

Getting into mini sprints maybe a midget not sure yet I'm going to be owner driver any friendly advice out there much appreciated i think I'm too tall for a mini sprint not ready for a 410 yet not much dirt track experience

4/23/16, 1:32 AM   #2
badcoupe

Tq midgets are a cheap way to get your feet wet or a 1000cc mini to run with the he full midgets at Montpelier etc. a regular full midget is a large expense. A tq has the similar properties as a midget or sprint so procedure will be the same for starting starts etc.

4/25/16, 6:17 PM   #3
ADM

If you are just getting into racing a good low expense (relative) competitive racing is the Mel Kenyon midget series. They run Yamaha engines but are full size midgets. It is a spec series so you don't have to worry about a $10,000 600 engine. You also run dirt and pavement. They can run at other venues as well. You can by a car with spares for $6-10k and be it will be just as good as any other car out there. It's all about the driver. Call Don Kenyon at 765-482-4273.

8/26/16, 2:02 AM   #4
Re: Advice
race 42

Hi about height I'm 6'4 and fit in tq minisprint and 410 sprint all the same good luck

8/26/16, 8:45 AM   #5
Re: Advice
hairracer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyx View Post
Getting into mini sprints maybe a midget not sure yet I'm going to be owner driver any friendly advice out there much appreciated i think I'm too tall for a mini sprint not ready for a 410 yet not much dirt track experience
If I were getting into Open Wheel Racing today I would shy away from a Midget only because you are limited at where they run in Indiana. Montpelier is a great track and runs the most but for the same money or less you can get a lot of seat time in a Sprint Car at Paragon and run almost every Saturday night in the summer. If you don't want to do a Sprint Car now TQ is probably your best bang for the buck as I have heard the Mini Sprints are getting expensive however with that said I have not ran a TQ or a Mini and am only going off what I have heard.

You don't need a big motored high dollar sprint car to run Paragon and you can learn to drive there and get lots of help and advice from the guys you run with and have fun.

8/26/16, 10:48 PM   #6
Leohr46

I second what hairracer44 just said. I have ran the mini sprints several years ago, then moved to sprint cars. We run Paragon several times a year. As was said, you don't have to have a big motor there. And you will get seat time.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Other Classifieds > Advice