IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Father's Day
6/20/21, 2:40 PM   #11
Re: Father's Day
racenut69

We got plenty of the Beast Light in Illinois.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
I am going to jump the gun by a day here, gents, and wish all of the dads out there a Happy Father's Day for tomorrow. I don't know what YOU will be doing, but I'll be down at Plymouth Speedway watching the UMP Summernationals Hell Tour. It will be hot, I'll have my grill, cheap beer, and I do not have to work Monday, so this is a win-win-win. I've been slooooowly getting back into the swing of thing this year and this is right in the crosshairs and just what I need.

On a sidebar, is it me or is there a Milwaukee's Best Light shortage down in the Hoosier state, too?

More importantly, enjoy your day gentlemen.

2 members like this post: Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
6/20/21, 4:43 PM   #12
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Yeah, I have to tip my purple cap to my late father. He got me hooked when I was a little guy, too. We lived in Detroit and I can remember standing on the Belle Isle Bridge looking through the slats in the railing. I was too small to see over the top. We were watching the APBA Gold Cup for the unlimited hydroplanes. This was 1965....? I was five years old. Ron Musson won driving the green and yellow Miss Bardahl. Sadly he was one of the drivers who lost his life the next year in DC.

But I can still hear the sounds of those boats to this day, and the excitement there was to be had.
had a big race with those big boats here in Evansville called Thunder on the Ohio for several years then the boats all went to thurbines I thought they should change the name to Whisper on the Water
Last edited by jim goerge; 6/20/21 at 4:46 PM.

6/20/21, 8:06 PM   #13
TQ29m

Jim, I went a few times after the change over to jets, but those darned piston engines got soooo expensive, and hard to find parts for, I remember as a kid, if Mom and Dad could have bought me anything I wanted, it would have been any one of those 12cylinder monster, the were going for $200.00 in them little magazines, talk about hard to come by, 200 bucks in those days would feed us for a long time. The roose was about the same, but the "thunder" was gone.

6/21/21, 12:26 AM   #14
ISF

I must post something I've had framed and hanging on my office wall for at least a couple of decades. I embellished this from a fellow who wrote in to the old National Speed Sport News in the days leading up to Father's Day and NSSN published the letter and it spoke volumes of how him taking me to the races was a bonding mechanism that exists to this day in spite of the fact that Dad left us way back in late 2005. I really wish I could take credit for authoring this but I can't. It exemplifies my gratitude to my Dad for my lifelong love of motorsports and many other things he influenced in my life. It's a safe bet this describes Father-son/daughter relationships of many of us here.

It goes like this:

Some Dad's buy your first car,

Some Dad's pay your way through college,

Some Dad's even give you the family business,

My Dad didn't do any of those things,

Instead,

MY DAD TOOK ME TO THE RACES

Happy Father's Day to all Father's everywhere.

6/21/21, 8:59 AM   #15
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Jim, I went a few times after the change over to jets, but those darned piston engines got soooo expensive, and hard to find parts for, I remember as a kid, if Mom and Dad could have bought me anything I wanted, it would have been any one of those 12cylinder monster, the were going for $200.00 in them little magazines, talk about hard to come by, 200 bucks in those days would feed us for a long time. The roose was about the same, but the "thunder" was gone.
I really kinda liked the ones that went" Busssscccch". Not!

2 members like this post: Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
6/21/21, 11:57 PM   #16
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
had a big race with those big boats here in Evansville called Thunder on the Ohio for several years then the boats all went to thurbines I thought they should change the name to Whisper on the Water
Thanks for chiming in, Jim!

Robin Miller once commented on E-Racing. Electric car racing. The future of motorsports - eventually.

Quoting him, waaaaay out of text, that without the sound of a reciprocating beast, it is not the same. We were drawn to racing by the sights AND the sounds.

Millions of years from now someone/something will dig our fossilized remains up and analyze them.

"A triceratops? Stegosaurus? Allosaurus? Wooly mammoth? Sabre toothed tiger?

"No...... just an Indiana dirt track fan."

Dinosaurs ran on dirt, too.....

5 members like this post: luckybuc97, mc/rider, racenut69, tirespinner, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Father's Day