IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
The Old Coyote (Offline)
  #1 7/29/23 12:45 PM
Why do some tracks run track prep equipment in the opposite of racing direction?

Real Race Cars Don't Have Fenders!
Ed
2 Likes: Chief Wahoo, tirespinner
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #2 7/29/23 2:04 PM
Good question, I’ve wondered about that myself.

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
Pitdad (Offline)
  #3 7/29/23 2:57 PM
The old school theory was that running in the same direction as racing reinforced or enhanced the existing ruts. If you worked the track backwards, you broke up that pattern and it made for a better surface. Kinda the same reason I don’t cut my lawn in the same grid pattern year after year.

We even wheel packed the track backwards (clockwise) back in the day (when race cars were responsible for running the track in…). Packing it backwards also kept anyone from trying to hot lap on a soft track, making matters worse.
15 Likes: azsprintfan1, Chief Wahoo, erich45, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing, interpreter66, luckybuc97, mc/rider, mtek56, openwheelfan1, oppweld, PIT CART, The Old Coyote, tirespinner, TQ29m
TQ29m (Offline)
  #4 7/29/23 3:21 PM
You did good, PitDad, I think!
We'll see.

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
3 Likes: PIT CART, The Old Coyote, tirespinner
mc/rider (Offline)
  #5 7/29/23 9:08 PM
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote:
Why do some tracks run track prep equipment in the opposite of racing direction?
Because

When in doubt Gas It
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, Hustlin-Hoosier, TQ29m
TQ29m (Offline)
  #6 7/30/23 1:11 PM
Anyone else besides me, remember when old bedspring were about as good as you could get, I had to type that, no look up, and it worked, used oil, calcium chloride, liquid soap in that order is what I remember.!
Course the water bed put an end to bedsprings

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!