IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Vookie (Online)
  #1 7/14/23 7:37 PM
I understand that a relative of his won a million dollars last night.

img141_edited_edited.jpg
Attachments:
14 Likes: 2fast4u, bighd0522, Bostonian, BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, jonboat15, luckybuc97, mc/rider, mtek56, nathans1012, PIT CART, rapid robert, rmr6nm, TNRustler
Vookie (Online)
  #2 7/14/23 7:38 PM
Photo is from the 1978 Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals.
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, jonboat15, luckybuc97
Pitdad (Online)
  #3 7/14/23 8:15 PM
As I heard it, technically, the relative is getting half a million. It was vague where the other “half” as going…🤑
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #4 7/14/23 9:38 PM
Seen a 2011 pic of shark racing showing up at Williams Grove with a subaru pulling the sprint on a single axel mower trailer.

Charles Nungester
8 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, PIT CART, rapid robert
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #5 7/15/23 8:52 AM
Vookie. You post some really great pictures. I am jealous that I never got to Knoxville back in those days. Of course, I was probably too young to have the real fun lol.
4 Likes: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider
Vookie (Online)
  #6 7/15/23 10:55 AM
There are legendary stories of gambling in the old barns and there are other stories that can't repeated here.
9 Likes: BrentTFunk, captrat, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing, jonboat15, K9Racer, mtek56, streetglider
Kart#51 (Offline)
  #7 7/15/23 11:44 AM
If you know, you know. Lol
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, streetglider
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #8 7/15/23 1:31 PM
And Bobby Allen won the 1st WoO race at Eldora in April of 1978. Over the winter USAC and Earl got into a pissing match over how many races they would sanction at Eldora….. USAC said 6 max and Earl wanted 10. Earl being Earl said shove it …. and brought in the WoO group….. to an overflow crowd. Still remember watching Dayton TV2 Sports Director Omar Williams ( who was also the announcer at Eldora, New Bremen and Dayton when Earl owned Dayton) Monday evening sports report after the 1st WoO race at Eldora. Omar started off the sportscast with video and said “ Earl Baltes and USAC have been in a squabble about race dates…but he could probably care less after yesterday’s overflow crowd.” Running Eldora gave Ted Johnson and the WoO legitimacy and the rest is history

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
13 Likes: BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan, flagboy55, Hubie48, luckybuc97, mc/rider, Moreland76, motorhead748, mtek56, oppweld, PIT CART, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #9 7/15/23 1:55 PM
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69:
And Bobby Allen won the 1st WoO race at Eldora in April of 1978. Over the winter USAC and Earl got into a pissing match over how many races they would sanction at Eldora….. USAC said 6 max and Earl wanted 10. Earl being Earl said shove it …. and brought in the WoO group….. to an overflow crowd. Still remember watching Dayton TV2 Sports Director Omar Williams ( who was also the announcer at Eldora, New Bremen and Dayton when Earl owned Dayton) Monday evening sports report after the 1st WoO race at Eldora. Omar started off the sportscast with video and said “ Earl Baltes and USAC have been in a squabble about race dates…but he could probably care less after yesterday’s overflow crowd.” Running Eldora gave Ted Johnson and the WoO legitimacy and the rest is history
Dad took me over to Eldora for the last World of Outlaw race of the year, in 1978. It was cold and I remember Charlie Swartz setting fast time and Shane Carson winning. Nice big crowd and the facilities looked very little like they do now. One thing I remember about Bobby Allen’s 1A from that day is it having “455 cu. in.” painted on the engine cowling.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, dirtnonwingfan, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #10 7/15/23 3:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw:
Dad took me over to Eldora for the last World of Outlaw race of the year, in 1978. It was cold and I remember Charlie Swartz setting fast time and Shane Carson winning. Nice big crowd and the facilities looked very little like they do now. One thing I remember about Bobby Allen’s 1A from that day is it having “455 cu. in.” painted on the engine cowling.

Jerry
Back in those days it was “ Run what you brung!”

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, mtek56, wallbanger II