IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona 500 quals??
2/10/08, 4:35 PM   #1
Daytona 500 quals??
throb

what do you think the incentive is for these teams who know they arent going to qualify in the top 2 to go out there and risk something happening to their only speedway car.....they know they are going to have to race their way into the race through the qualifiers on thursday.....we all know that where you start at a super-speedway race dosent really effect you at these tracks.....i understand sponsor responsibilites and that a lot of folks are watching on tv......but what are there any other reasons?????

2/10/08, 4:52 PM   #2
Re: Daytona 500 quals??
Z-man

For a team that is already guranteed a starting position based on ownership points there really isn't much of an incentive unless they qualify on the pole for the extra points. Qualifying times set the starting positions for the Gatorade duels, odd number quals in 1 duel even number in the other. The top two drivers in each Gatorade Duel that are not already guaranteed a starting spot get into the Daytona 500.

The next three spots go to the fastest three qualifiers based on the single-car time trials from Sunday.

The final spot is guaranteed for a previous Sprint Cup Champion who was unable to qualify any other way. If there is no unqualified past champion then the 43rd spot goes to the next fastest qualifier based on speed from the single-car session.
So Waltrip, Nemecheck,Reutiman and Kvapil are going to start the 500 based on qualifying time, the last 3 assuming they don't transfer from the duels. I am guessing anyone From Jarrett on back will have to make it through the duels.

2/10/08, 6:03 PM   #3
throb

sure seems that they could simplify the process by doing this............fastest cars make the show........and they line up by the speed that they qualify.......i guess when you have an inferior product you have to spice it up as much as possible to make it more intersting.......

2/10/08, 6:15 PM   #4
Z-man

Maybe they should qualify then invert the first 6 for each heat and take top 4 from each heat, have a last chance qualifier and a d,c,b heat. That would simplify it even more. I think the duel format allows more chances for a new team to make the race, I like it.

2/10/08, 6:17 PM   #5
Dale800

NO PROVISIONALS EVER fastest 43 cars race their way in or qualify.a real go or go home.

2/10/08, 8:17 PM   #6
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Do what most of the tracks here have done.. NO QUALIFYING... Just draw for starting spot.:headbang:action-smiley-049:

WAIT... The above statement has to be the DUMBEST comment I have ever made.... Part of racing is... and should always be the fastest qualified cars start up front.

2/10/08, 8:21 PM   #7
wbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
The final spot is guaranteed for a previous Sprint Cup Champion who was unable to qualify any other way. If there is no unqualified past champion then the 43rd spot goes to the next fastest qualifier based on speed from the single-car session.
I thought this was the first year Sprint sponsored the series, so how could there be a previous years Sprint Cup Champion?:doh:

2/10/08, 8:49 PM   #8
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbr View Post
I thought this was the first year Sprint sponsored the series, so how could there be a previous years Sprint Cup Champion?:doh:
Mark, they do that every time they change sponsors. Ned Jarrett was touted as a two time Winston Cup champ even though he retired 5 years before Winston came on board.

2/10/08, 9:04 PM   #9
Gasman fan 50

Boy, those flat sides look strange out on the track last night. Today put me to sleep again! It looks like someone might get hurt next weekend.:headbang

2/10/08, 10:11 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Anyone else hear them call em sprint cars?

I've heard it a half dozen times already.

Chuck, who considers it a insult to a real sprint car

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona 500 quals??