IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ecotec help
11/6/15, 6:17 PM   #1
ecotec help
polecar

where can i get info on ecotec motors? i'm looking for bore center line of the 2.4, 2.2 and 2.0 blocks. what cranks fit what block. will a 2.4 crank fit in a 2.0 block? can a 2.4 head fit on a 2.2 block? stuff like that.
thanks.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/6/15, 7:32 PM   #2
Re: ecotec help
DAD

Engine builders magazine is perhaps the engine builders Bible. It has a lot of articles on building different engines with specs interchanges subtle differences in design changes etc. They talk like they are not going to allow mix and match but frankly I think if they try they will go crazy. A lot of the stuff interchanges some do not. Going to be a lot of trial and error development going on on these things and that should be fun for some racers. Organizers have to realize that a lot of racers race just to experiment. The stuff you will be experimenting will come from"JUNK YARDS" and won't set you back a lot to find out what works and what does not. Being in the car business I have access to a lot of old parts at scrap prices which isn't to much right now. Find a junk yard tell them what you are doing offer them a sponsorship deal and have at it.

Here are a couple of article I found they have many more just have to do a little Google searching.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014...rmance-future/

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014...-valve-timing/

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/6/15 at 8:45 PM.

1 member likes this post: polecar
11/6/15, 8:59 PM   #3
gearguy

A lot of this info is available on line, in the Tuner magazines, and from Chevy Racing. The SET Racing guys in our club started developing the Ecotec for midget racing in 2008 and have a nice bunch of parts available. Scott Koerner runs a $400 salvage yard motor with minimal modifications well enough to win a feature at Grundy only to be DQ'd for being 10 pounds light.
We race Hondas ourselves but the Ecotec is always going to be a less expensive and more widely accepted option. The rules makers don't pick the fly s**t out of the pepper on Ecotec part numbers like they do on Honda.
If you can't find the info you need on-line send me a PM and I'll get one of our Ecotec guys contact you.
Let's make this a golden age of midget racing not another fiasco.

11/7/15, 3:31 AM   #4
jdull99

BMARA.com has build sheets with numbers (my engine builder & I are not sure if those prices include professional labor rate and/or who would preform task of a dis-assembled engine that would be considered pretty standard & offer the mentioned pieces for those prices)...absent from my view is Injection & fuel delivery systems, exhaust, dyno tuning, etc tho...I could be missing something from the releases tho...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 11/7/15 at 2:59 PM.

11/7/15, 11:34 AM   #5
gearguy

Those build sheets were interesting but hardly sufficient to base a motor build on. The BMARA goal is much different than the Poweri D2 goal. From what info has leaked out Poweri wants D2 motors held to the Scream Focus [185 hp] or Super Focus [205 hp with aftermarket cams]. BMARA wants all out racing hop ups. We have struggled with this in the Illini Series as most stock motors have some weaknesses, especially if you start with a salvage yard motor. Once you get into replacing any parts it becomes a reliability vs. performance question.

Cams are an obvious power adder. Rods and pistons can be neutral, depending upon the weight and compression ratio. The injection, pumps, and other accessories are expensive but are not a "wear" item that needs regular money thrown at it.

The big money in these motors is block stiffeners and timing chain drive parts. Once you go north of 200 HP you are going to need to improve these features or you'll have failures.

A professional engine builder will insist upon these costly changes because his reputation is on the line. A real build sheet would have part numbers and sources, not just budgetary prices.

3 members like this post: 99racing, jdull99, polecar
11/7/15, 3:02 PM   #6
jdull99

Thank-u for adding your points. Good things to consider!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

11/9/15, 7:04 PM   #7
polecar

i can't seem to find the info i'm looking for. does anyone have any other places for me to look?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ecotec help