IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Roofs...
12/21/19, 8:58 PM   #1
LocalYokel

Sail panels? Fine. Side visors? Fine. The Midgets look pretty sporty with the bodywork that is in fashion these days. Halos are also fine for safety...
But the “roofs” that are on T-Mez and Pickens cars have to go. You could easily make the argument that they are a safety issue, since they further impede the one remaining exit of a Midget. I’m not going to make that argument though. While this may be the argument of an old man, thats fine. Midgets just don’t have roofs. Someone needs to let them know.
If everyone wants to run Wings, than I guess thats fine. They used to run Wings on Midgets in many places. If not, no roofs.
Last edited by LocalYokel; 12/21/19 at 9:00 PM.

12/22/19, 3:14 PM   #2
Re: Roofs...
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

is this something that was on their cars at St. Louis ?

3 members like this post: jdull99, jim goerge, tirespinner
12/23/19, 12:10 AM   #3
jdull99

This shows some-what of a pic:

https://speedsport.com/sprints-midge...midget-prelim/

I agree...hopefully Tulsa officials show up on Sunday & have the panels removed...ONLY way I'd ever be "ok" with it, is if they were made of some thick exotic material to all but 100% impede anything hitting a drivers head (like a drag car has)...and at that point, raise the minimum weight of the cars (not that they even have that in Tulsa tho, right? lol. I haven't read the rule book lately) to accommodate the plate & not cause the teams to sacrifice the weight somewhere else...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
12/23/19, 3:06 AM   #4
jdull99

Appears it makes a good helmet rest!!! lol - those things can be expensive...AND, if they fall on the ground, should be replaced...

http://tjslideways.com/2019/12/20/me...irt-nationals/

12/23/19, 3:20 PM   #5
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

As far as the safety of it; to me they looked like they were too big and would impede trying to exit the top. I'm pro safety on the tops to keep guys from getting speared but idk about how large they are.

It's one thing to pop up under non-stress situations with all your bearings it's another to be in a hurry after a flip with a fire hazard a real possibility.

12/24/19, 1:02 AM   #6
hoscalecody

Here's the picture of the roof on T-mez's and Pickens's car. It also has a wicker on the back of it. (Click the picture to make it bigger.)
Attached Images
roof.jpg (27.8 KB, 279 views)
roof 2.jpg (98.6 KB, 304 views)
Last edited by hoscalecody; 12/24/19 at 1:05 AM.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, The Old Coyote, tirespinner
12/24/19, 3:55 AM   #7
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
As far as the safety of it; to me they looked like they were too big and would impede trying to exit the top. I'm pro safety on the tops to keep guys from getting speared but idk about how large they are.

It's one thing to pop up under non-stress situations with all your bearings it's another to be in a hurry after a flip with a fire hazard a real possibility.
I don't know more than what these posts say, and that picture, but I'm gathering there is the "halo" bar underneath the panel, so that's doin as much impeding as the "roof". I'm FOR the "halo" bars tho, just hope these roofs don't catch on...I follow NASCAR Cup, Xfinity & Trucks for those! lol

12/27/19, 12:33 PM   #8
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I don't know more than what these posts say, and that picture, but I'm gathering there is the "halo" bar underneath the panel, so that's doin as much impeding as the "roof". I'm FOR the "halo" bars tho, just hope these roofs don't catch on...I follow NASCAR Cup, Xfinity & Trucks for those! lol
They need to kill the spoilers/wicker bills quickly and swiftly.

12/28/19, 8:55 AM   #9
bullring

Also on Pickens car when looking at car from back at Gateway I couldn't see the driver. At first I thought the back was boxed in but after more observation I think the material is put on an angle to make it like a rear spoiler.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
12/28/19, 3:46 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I think there is both room for safety and room for TRADITION.

I think it's gone way too far with the dished noses on sprints, The left wind grabber hood fins on midgets and down to about a three inch slit in the driver compartment side panels.

Got 3LM tracks within 50mi ad one sprint car track. Shame that you can see the driver better in a LM than Sprints or midgets.

As for the Halo Bar, I do think that is needed in some cars for safety. The problem with it is that when you land on it, it tends to spread the cage
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/28/19 at 3:48 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Roofs...