IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Novel Idea!
7/1/10, 10:47 AM   #61
Re: Novel Idea!
SDHill89

I like the sound and the excitement. I also like that I get to spend a lot of time with my dad. He started taking me to races when I was 3 and I’ve been obsessed ever since. I’m glad to see there are parents on here taking their kids because I know there is a lot of time spent together at races and I’m sure my dad and I would not be as close if it wasn’t for races. Hopefully when I get out of college in a couple years and get a job I might be able to but myself something to race.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
7/1/10, 11:16 AM   #62
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

All the folks who have posted above have said it better than I can. It's all about the sights and sounds, plus the great people.

7/1/10, 11:31 AM   #63
gary curry

Me too about all the positive thoughts. I want to add thank goodness for this site for those of us who can't be in the midwest where most of the racing is.

7/1/10, 11:36 AM   #64
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
All the folks who have posted above have said it better than I can. It's all about the sights and sounds, plus the great people.
Dick,

You are far too modest. With your vast background of racing you have a story or two to share I am sure.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/1/10, 12:15 PM   #65
mortboyz

I guess my illness began when our dad took me and my 2 brothers to the '62 Indy 500. We sat in the turn one infield beneath the trees.
My oldest brother, who later owned a Midget and ran it with the old SLARA and MARA, started taking me his pain-in-the butt little brother to places like Granite City and Godfrey,IL in his attempt at "baby-sitting" on Fridays and Saturdays...LOL
When old enough to travel on my own, we ventured to Terre Haute for the '77 Hulman Classic...my favorite race facility since the closure of Little Springfield. The Vigo County Fairgrounds is also where I had the MOST FUN EVER in the backseat of a car....riding the 2-seater with my hero Jack Hewitt. However, watching my son ride with Jack that same day was a helluva lot cooler!
My 35th birthday present was to take my 9mo. old son Drew to the Ted Horn 100 at DuQuoin for his first race ever. He also is now ruined! LOL
We've been hitting a lot of the Indiana bullring scene since the late 90's and have seen many good ones, as well as a few stinkers....but to me, it's ALL GOOD. I've made some of my best friends in this world at the tracks of Indiana and the Midwest.
Hope to see many of you during Sprintweek!

PS My humor on here isn't what it used to be apparently, but I check here daily anyway.....:2:

7/1/10, 1:37 PM   #66
Amatiforever

I love Sprint Car racing. What a world of memories I will always have because of it. The places that I may never see again, the wonderful people that I met, and the things that I have done that I may never do again. The people we meet on the road that are still friends. Have a wonderful and safe 4th of July, go racing....take someone with you.

7/1/10, 2:06 PM   #67
Tripcrwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
The smell of the burning methanol as I approach the track from the parking lot always makes me walk that much faster. My wife always bugs me to slow down, but that smell takes me back to my chidhood and the great memories of going to the races with my dad.
I couldn't of said it better!

7/1/10, 4:11 PM   #68
Haulerin2deep

:2:Whats not to love about racing.
I love that I was born into a racing family.
Im glad that my dad finally eased up and let us race after we graduated college. Education first.....
I love when the night is over and I can think back to the already run races and find maybe one or two moments that make me feel like I am related to my grandpa and my dad..
I love the look in my dads eyes when we've run good and the hugs I get from my kids when they get to the pits after. Doesn't matter how bad I ran they always tell me how fast I was.

The friends that I have made are friends for a lifetime. I love that!!

I love being anywhere in the midwest at a racetrack and I always know someone from that one time at that one track. You know what I mean. You may never remember their name but you can put them to a particular race.

Too many things to list but most of all I love all of the fans whether we were up front or trying not to get in the way you always make me feel welcome...

Chad Branson

2 members like this post: IndyBound, Mud Packer
7/1/10, 5:55 PM   #69
RacinBabe

The smell of methanol, the thrill of the race (especially when it's won on the last lap or when someone wins for the first time), the cool cars and all the great people we've met and get to see!

2 members like this post: IndyBound, Mud Packer
7/1/10, 8:37 PM   #70
short track scott

I was travelling today. I just got into NC on I 77 and pulled into that rest area. Just as I parked I saw a motorhome and a guy checking his tow car. On the window was a supermodified decal. I shouted, "Supermodified?" And by the time I park he was walking my way and smiling. The ensuing conversation lasted 15 minutes and covered all sorts of racing! I left still not knowing his name but glad that racefans are willing to talk racing at a moments notice to complete strangers!

(Yes he'd been to Gas City and the Little 500)
Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: IndyBound, Jimmydiesel, mtek56, Mud Packer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Novel Idea!