IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
brian2h (Offline)
  #81 10/31/13 11:45 AM
i wish there was just one tire only then u dont have to have as many tires and wheels mounted guess im lazy plus no tire rule meens rr tires are prob. gonna cost 275 bucks ea. i would vote for a brick on the rr that u can run several races. as far as policing treating its a joke nothing is being check anymore. not even safety of cars and belts guess im not the only one lazy. we got all this fansy seats and belts but nobody checking to c if there being put in right and that is a shame. there r just as many people getting hurt and killed as there was 20 yrs. ago.
kcarm92 (Offline)
  #82 10/31/13 12:00 PM
Brian your right walked around the pits at some of the sprint week shows and had to laugh if old Norm was around he would have had a few cars load up for safety reasons but nobody checks anything
c47 (Offline)
  #83 10/31/13 1:00 PM
i have a senario and would like comments....when a tire goes thru a "heat cycle", the pores open up when the tire is hot and either during a yellow or red or coming off the track, the pores of the tire pick up dust and dirt, then cool off, trapping the dirt in the rubber. ideally, the tires are washed, either with water at the car wash or home or, as we do, sprayed with a cleaner such as simple green and then cleaned with a pressure washer. this takes a lot of the dead rubber off and cleans the pores.....the tires actually become sticky to the touch. IMO....this is CONDITIONING a tire to be able to get the best performance out of the life of the tire.....something we learned racing karts.
it is not intended to soften the compound or increase the grip, just bring the tire back as close as possible to new and offset effects of heat cycling....and it doesnt change the duro reading.

now....if i was asked to groove a sample and submit it to a lab, it would probably show a chemical (simple green) but was a cheating? or just trying to get the most out of my tires both performance wise and cost wise before tossing them and spending needless money to buy new ones?

granted, there are "cleaners" on the market that will enhance the tires performance as well as cleaning them but where is the line between being economical and cheating?

can the lab tell the difference between simple green and trans fluid/paint thinner/acetone/creosote? or is it just written up as "unknown substance" and if thats the case, what if a car rolls over spilled fuel or oil? will that come back from the lab as "unknown substance" and the car owner get busted for cheating?

yeah....there are a lot of guys treating tires in every area of the sport. i think in the case of the 11, they finished third and disputed the call from the lab.....that may be why they got hit with the penalties they did. and if they think they are right, please prove it......its not like they won a 20k to win show and rode off with the money and trophy girl......or got caught with TC or nitro in the fuel.

either way, a gallon of tire prep costs WAY less than a new tire.......and lasts longer too.
3 Likes: DAD, dshort36, racer5c
kcarm92 (Offline)
  #84 10/31/13 2:24 PM
Simple green was what feger said was on his tires on his late model when he failed tire sample said he sprayed them with it and stored them for the winter, and his tire was not even a rear tire it was his right front and he was suspened from ump for three months.
c47 (Offline)
  #85 10/31/13 2:49 PM
i have been told that simple green will soften a tire if you soak it real well. there are better and safer methods to store tires and not let them get dried out. clean them real good and then wrap them with saran wrap to try to keep the air from drying out the rubber.
most any degreasing cleaner will soften rubber.
sprint18 (Offline)
  #86 10/31/13 3:33 PM
It still comes down to the overall cost of the tire and the life span. There is no doubt I have been a long time supporter of American Racer. Right rears still sell for $175 and down. Left rears $155 and down. Fronts 130 and down. If you go back and talk to racers from 7 - 10 years ago and ask about the MC 2 performance and repeatability you will find a very favorable response. Even the guys on other brands switched to even make the show. A J Anderson won 4 races in two weekends on the same tire in open competition the year before this rule came into effect. I am sure in open competition this tire will still compete at a high level if not dominate and still have the repeatability. I am not asking for a American Tire rule but a chance to make a choice. We are at $220 plus on the current rule plus if anyone happens to be enhancing tires. There is no way this makes sense at the local level. At the national level they will always put new tires on. The local level is another story. I would love to sit down with other races and help come up with a solution. Casey I enjoy your imput and thought process. I think you have the same desire for the sucess of sprint car racings future. Keep adding your imput and questions but I do believe you wouldn't have to worry too much about the last questions you were posting if things were opened up.
badcoupe (Offline)
  #87 10/31/13 6:57 PM
Simple green if left on softens tires quite a bit, we use it in rc racing on a regular basis
Roy Bleckert (Offline)
  #88 10/31/13 8:28 PM
Run Hoosiers , McCreary , Yokohama's or whatever , Just put a cap of 150 $ on any rear tire as long as it is available to all competitors ,
2 Likes: c47, JackSam40
E.P. (Offline)
  #89 11/1/13 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner:
My opinion... If someone is guilty of cheating. They should be banned from ALL tracks (all non wing racing) for 1 full season.
I agree with Bill. Shoot a hostage and everyone else will play in the sandbox like good boys and girls.

Eric B. Pethtel
HurstBros0 (Offline)
  #90 11/1/13 10:52 PM
Of the many variables it takes to be successful on any given night, a doctored tire is not the secret weapon that will put you over the top. A driver with his head right , the right breaks in traffic, and a chassis combo that makes the wheel man look like a genius has more bearing than what a tire durometers. If a guy pays for a tire he should be able to wash it in anything he wants. Besides, somebody is having to pay for this lab work and you can bet it is not budgeted into the ACA...

Dan Hurst
Hurst Brothers Racing
4 Likes: Dgentry51, Kinser5K, MEAT, Topless77