IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
the1jet17 (Offline)
  #61 1/9/18 3:21 PM
Originally Posted by jdull99:
I actually thought the head and NECK restraints were even more to do with avoiding spinal injuries???
It just depends on the one you use. The HANS is only designed for straight collisions (Nascar) while some of the others are designed for the types of wrecks in open wheel racing. A couple of the other head and neck restraint systems use multiple tethers that are supposed to futher support your head in a wreck.
jdull99 (Online)
  #62 1/9/18 3:27 PM
I understand that (I see the way I worded it though...I mentally included the side supports on the seat as to what I meant for a restraint of some sort)...in regards to those side supports on the seats, I was under the impression that was to keep the head from goin side to side (keeping from breakings necks, while obvsly keeping the head contained inside the cockpit at the same time). So ya, combined with the HANS, from the forward collisions, I thought they all worked together...

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
sapper211 (Offline)
  #63 1/12/18 1:50 PM
Originally Posted by mike mcghee:
Fred we ran 2nd with a 11k motor...lol
Fred and Mike, that was a beautiful thing @ Badlands. Glad to be able to witness it.
2 Likes: Fred Zirzow, mike mcghee
spankytoo (Offline)
  #64 1/15/18 3:48 PM
But I bet you had cockpit adjustable shocks and a new tire!

If you look in your mirror and see a line of cars behind you, be kind and pull over.
2 Likes: Fred Zirzow, PIT CART
HDINDY (Offline)
  #65 1/17/18 8:14 AM
Close your eyes and dream of a podium with 43 drivers hugging and saying we are all equal winners.Then you wake up and realize your at a Nascar race.See the direction this is going?
2 Likes: racer-x, the1jet17
Backitin (Offline)
  #66 1/17/18 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by HDINDY:
Close your eyes and dream of a podium with 43 drivers hugging and saying we are all equal winners.Then you wake up and realize your at a Nascar race.See the direction this is going?
Not really
4 Likes: cshuman, erich45, flagboy55, PIT CART
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #67 1/17/18 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Backitin:
Not really
Me either. Just because everyone is in the same boat doesn't mean they'll make the same call on setup. Some get it right, some don't. However since cockpit adjustments have been the norm for quite a while in USAC I don't see why it just now became an issue. I mean USAC is suppose to be, "The Top of the Heap", so them having more knobs and cranks seems fitting, that and having the remote adjustment isn't much more expensive than no Remote stuff, is it? I'm not outraged by this, but to me comes under,
"Fixing something that isn't broke".
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #68 1/18/18 12:13 AM
What the heck?

Charles Nungester
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #69 1/18/18 3:12 AM
This thread makes me think that the open wheel racing that we love will implode before long. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I see no need to get my grandkids hooked on it. I have raced. It's dangerous. Shouldn't that element always exist?
revjimk (Offline)
  #70 1/18/18 3:41 AM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
This thread makes me think that the open wheel racing that we love will implode before long. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I see no need to get my grandkids hooked on it. I have raced. It's dangerous. Shouldn't that element always exist?
It would be better if it didn't. Who needs more dead or paralyzed drivers?
2 Likes: Aces&Eights, sprint72