IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #61 3/16/10 2:14 PM
Originally Posted by cecil98:
New Bremen (dirt) August 19, 1979. Carter banging into the wall, Bubby Jones in the middle of the track and Gary B running through the infield and they would come up three abreast at the finish line darn near every lap. Bubby wound up winning it, Pancho 2nd and Gary B 3rd. Crowd was on it's feet the whole featch. Do any of you other oldtimers remember this one?????
I was thinking of that one, too. Someone else here should remember it, because I was standing inside the backstretch when SuperDuke went by me 10-15 feet in the air spinning side over side. It was one of the meanest-looking tumbles I'd ever seen at that time.

I recall both Jones & Carter slapping the wall with their right rears almost every lap. Every time they came out of four, you heard SLAP SLAP in quick succession.

One other entertaining item of that day. It had rained the previous night and there were puddles in the pits. Carter came in after hot laps way too fast, ran through a puddle, and splashed everyone in someone else's (Jones?) pit. The next time Carter came in, one of those guys tossed a bucket of dirty water right in his face. :-)
cecil98 (Offline)
  #62 3/16/10 3:43 PM
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan:
I was thinking of that one, too. Someone else here should remember it, because I was standing inside the backstretch when SuperDuke went by me 10-15 feet in the air spinning side over side. It was one of the meanest-looking tumbles I'd ever seen at that time.

I recall both Jones & Carter slapping the wall with their right rears almost every lap. Every time they came out of four, you heard SLAP SLAP in quick succession.

One other entertaining item of that day. It had rained the previous night and there were puddles in the pits. Carter came in after hot laps way too fast, ran through a puddle, and splashed everyone in someone else's (Jones?) pit. The next time Carter came in, one of those guys tossed a bucket of dirty water right in his face. :-)
Glad I'm not the only "old guy" on here that remembered that race!!!
ossuks (Offline)
  #63 3/16/10 6:25 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
The more races you see, it seems the less you remember about each one. One that for sure sticks in my mind is Mark Cassella's win at Lawreneburg in the Stapp 4U.
The night (1995 ish) at Portsmouth, Ohio when Jack Hewwit thought he was running the cushion as Mark Cassella ran him down and passed him about 10 ft higher IN the cushion. Cassella rode outside Jacks rt. rear for so long that his complete car was covered in mud, there was absolutely no way to tell what color, number, ect was on the car. Mark was completely covered in mud, he used his last tear off just prior to the finish. When he pulled into victory lane he looked like "mud-man" with two wide open eyes.
smith19 (Offline)
  #64 3/16/10 6:42 PM
Originally Posted by cecil98:
Glad I'm not the only "old guy" on here that remembered that race!!!
come on teach "YOU ARE".
cecil98 (Offline)
  #65 3/17/10 7:13 AM
Originally Posted by smith19:
come on teach "YOU ARE".
smith19, you have NO respect for the elderly!!
duel (Offline)
  #66 3/17/10 8:18 AM
my 2 cents... the first 4 crowns Steve Kinser started dead last in the sprint and champ car race and won them both in Vance's cars... hundreds of great sprint shows witnessed. last year the last race at gas city stands out for me. couldn't get to the burg in time for usac so we stopped at gas city. wow, close racing all night about 300 people in the stands, cold, 25% of the field got upside down and a 4 car battle to the end of the feature. Steve Ott won it.
JMar47 (Offline)
  #67 4/19/10 3:14 PM
Originally Posted by JJMooney:
That NWWC race at North Vernon is at the top of my “best list”. Also ranking close to the top of my list is the “three-wide-photo-finish-in-the-fog” during Sprintweek at Putnamville in ’99 where Dave Darland beat Yeley and Cruseman at the checkers.

However, THE best sprint race I ever saw, from start to finish, has to be the first K.I.S.S. race ever held at Haubstadt, in 2001. The battle up front was intense all race long with Troy Link, Will Newlin and Dickie Gaines all making mad stabs at the lead with wicked sliders. While all this is taking place, Justin Marvel is making a charge from deep, deep in the field and pulls out the win at the end. If I remember correctly, all 30 laps went non-stop, green to checker.
Great Memories. I won on the last lap. Split Troy Link and Kevin Thomas I thought. I was in the Booe Bro. #7
JM
racefan1 (Offline)
  #68 4/19/10 9:18 PM
night two 2009 perris oval nationals one of the greatest races ever run.