IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes
10/28/16, 5:41 PM   #51
Cobra 14

Last time I checked, there was no "maximum safety" rule. If you want more head clearance, nothing is stopping you from getting it. If you want smaller openings at the top old the cage do it...

The biggest problem racing will face in coming years will be single payer Healthcare.. Once the government gets its hands on that, they will license tracks and shut them down as being unsafe and thus too much risk to the tax payer..

Let's not get too crazy with mandating safety.. Let's just not Outlaw it.. If you want it.. You can have it..

4 members like this post: jdull99, PIT CART, streetglider, wingless1
10/28/16, 7:41 PM   #52
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 14 View Post
Last time I checked, there was no "maximum safety" rule. If you want more head clearance, nothing is stopping you from getting it. If you want smaller openings at the top old the cage do it...

The biggest problem racing will face in coming years will be single payer Healthcare.. Once the government gets its hands on that, they will license tracks and shut them down as being unsafe and thus too much risk to the tax payer..

Let's not get too crazy with mandating safety.. Let's just not Outlaw it.. If you want it.. You can have it..
Really? They're still racing in countries with single payer; including Canada.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge
10/28/16, 9:02 PM   #53
cshuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 14 View Post

you have any koolaide left?

4 members like this post: bighd0522, Charles Nungester, jim goerge, the visitor
10/28/16, 9:37 PM   #54
Re: USAC to mandate safety changes
sp6967

some accidents are just unavoidable and some are from drivers that have no business being on the race track. I was thinking the drivers that have no business being on the track should be thrown off the track which in theory would help improve safety. but then I realized if that happened there would be around 5 to 6 drivers for a weekend of racing. I guess the bubble wrap idea doesn't sound that bad.

2 members like this post: Backitin, the visitor
10/28/16, 10:14 PM   #55
racer-x

They confirmed yesterday that the affordable care act rates are going to go up from 25% to 116 % in the next year..
For the uninformed here is a example to think about. In Arizona a 27 year old single males rates on the bronze program is going to go from $ 240 a month to $440 a month. My first car payment was $70 a month back in 1977. And some people out there wonder why the sport of racing is not what it used to be.

2 members like this post: jdull99, PIT CART
10/28/16, 11:12 PM   #56
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceDHolley View Post
I helped push CC back in to his trailer at the Sprintacular. I'm not sure if it was a hawk chassis or not, because he drove for SC Racing that night, but I can verify that he had at least 8 inches of head room in that thing. Also saw CC take a humongous hit at Lernerville in his Hawk #14 and walk away. The Hawk held up admirably to the edge of a Jersey barrier impacting the down tubes 6 inches from the front of the cage. The impact threw the tail tank about 40 feet from the car, but the drivers compartment was completely intact. Hawk definitely builds a safe product.
I talked with CC just before the Boss race at Millstream He was in the 9X and it was also a Hawk. Know he said he had tons of head clearance I said four or five but its probably more and he told me his height was 6'5"

Didn't see his wrecked car but he said it was one heck of a crash.

10/28/16, 11:19 PM   #57
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Really, Where did ******** come in?

Event and High Risk insurance will always be sold as long as there is enough that can afford to pay for it.

10/29/16, 1:30 AM   #58
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Check out this sequence, I have posted the link before.http://www.brentsmithphotography.com...li%20deshaies/ I had the 4" of clearance in this car. Even at 5'6" any new frames I buy will be tall cage. I have changed my seat belt mounting since then also. I am a firm believer that we should all optimize our seatbelt mounting before worrying about anything else. My first street stock when I was a broke 20 year old had better seat belt geometry than my sprint cars did for the first 8 years I drove them.
Last edited by Rhody; 10/29/16 at 1:32 AM.

2 members like this post: Joe Whisler, TQ29m
10/29/16, 9:33 AM   #59
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Check out this sequence, I have posted the link before.http://www.brentsmithphotography.com...li%20deshaies/ I had the 4" of clearance in this car. Even at 5'6" any new frames I buy will be tall cage. I have changed my seat belt mounting since then also. I am a firm believer that we should all optimize our seatbelt mounting before worrying about anything else. My first street stock when I was a broke 20 year old had better seat belt geometry than my sprint cars did for the first 8 years I drove them.
Boy, that critter was mad! Bet the rash was pretty severe, joints, neck, all over. Good photos, friend of mine crashed his ASA car at the old Nashville speedway years back, had a mark on his helmet, looked and looked, finally found where he had been during that event, it was high on the cage, plumb over on the right side of the car, talk about stretch! Took me the longest time, to figure out when I took a turtle like that, why I immediately had a sore throat, neck stretch! Bob

10/29/16, 9:40 AM   #60
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmac05 View Post
......To have the attitude that racing is dangerous and we shouldn't try to make it safer because they are too old fashion to accept change is beyond idiotic. With modern engineering and technology there are ways to make racing safer without taking away from the racing in a considerable manner. Those drivers you see have kids, families to support, so any fans'racing experience comes secondary to that drivers safety.. period
This is the post of the month. We are one of the last groups to look at the safety of our cars and look for engineering changes based in science and facts. NASCAR did it when Dale Sr. died. NHRA did it when Eric Medlin died. IRL has also worked to improve the safety of our cars. BC's death should serve two purposes. One is already in place, which is a increase in organ donations, but it should also be the wake up call for safety in Open wheel dirt racing.

Just like when Dale Sr died or when Medlin died, somebody should be asking why and how did BC die. Just like with Dale Sr., we can do research and learn from history and still be respectful of his legacy. The pictures of Dale Sr. crash never became public. There are some areas that appear to be logical starts. Head clearance, driver compartment safety, bad track facilities. (Jersey barricades and telephone poles have no business being around a race track) We can make racing safer and not drastically change the sport. We just have to be smart enough and brave enough to start.

6 members like this post: bcataldi, bighd0522, jjones752, Racer1039, Tom23, trannyman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes