IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What was your 1st car
3/6/09, 9:14 AM   #51
Re: What was your 1st car
illinisprintfan

1970 ford mustang with a 302. Had it approximately 4 months and attempted to knock down a metal light pole with it. The pole won.:icon_smile_blackeye

3/6/09, 9:52 AM   #52
skids59

"64 Chevy Belair, 283, 2bbl, powerglide, my dad gave me when I turned 16. Pretty slick car. My third car is the one I wished I had back. "68 Camaro 327, glide, Corvette rallies Firestone super sports all around 70's on the front, 60's on the rear, powder blue not a blemish on it. Kicked a rod , sold it to buy an engagement ring.:headbang:kookoo Engine I wished I had back, .060 over 455 Pontiac,factory cast#670 heads. Machine work all done by, now defunct, Wayne Co. Speed shop. Factory nodular iron rods resized shot peened( not the greatest but adequate), well massaged Q-jet. Chet Herbert d-09 cam not a horsepower cam but a real stump puller, Rhodes liters, factory Hi-rise 4bbl intake, Mallory HEI, Hooker headers. Didn't have enough money left to put it in a bird, goat or astre had to settle for a 77 GP what a barge but the sucker would sing.
Last edited by skids59; 3/6/09 at 10:25 AM.

3/6/09, 10:46 AM   #53
Gifford G Solem

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
I just turn 16 last week and got a car for My B-day.

I was wondering what some of your guys 1st car was? :thumb

Street car.not racecar.:O:
Used 1948 Mercury Coupe. Put in new transmission, steering, Oriflow shocks (that dates me). Ported and relieved the block in my folks kitchen. Had started buying racing parts when I was 14 (worked on a farm in summers). Parts included Edelbrock dual manifold, Offenhouser (brand) high compression aluminum heads, Harmon Collins full race camshaft, dual exhaust headers with steel pack mufflers, bored out cylinders with oversize pistons.Ran it through highschool and college ('til I had to sell it to help pay for last year of college - Mechanical Engineering - what else?) Got out of it what the used car cost originally without all the added new equipment. Taught me a BIG lesson. No more personally souped up cars.

3/6/09, 11:15 AM   #54
Gregg

A 1970 Ford Maverick bought in 1973. It had bias-ply tires from four different tire manufacturers. Had to wax it every month or else the paint would be dead. The sound system consisted of a Radio Shack FM converter that allowed you to listed to FM radio through the stock AM radio from the stock speakers.

Those were the days.:greenflag:

3/6/09, 12:03 PM   #55
TeamCGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
my sister has a 70 convertable red with a white top 318 been offered$50,000.00 for it twice ,but she aint selling ,if you only had it back:kick
Wow. I have heard stories about old Challengers going for big bucks. The shame of the situation with mine was the Kid I sold it to Totaled it about 2 months after I sold it to him. :headbang Shame. Your sister is wise. Hang on to that 70. It is not losing value..

3/6/09, 3:56 PM   #56
Eric C

65 Mustang 289 C4 Headers, kelly Springfied Supercharger G-60-14s on rear F-70 14s up front, on Crager SS rims, the period correct yellow Lakewood traction bars, that my Dad liked to call "Snow Catchers" From the time in the blizzard of 78 he was tring to push me out of the drive way and said we were hung up on the Traction Bars, he has never let me forget that.

Loved that car,

Eric Cottongim

3/6/09, 4:35 PM   #57
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
A 1970 Ford Maverick bought in 1973. It had bias-ply tires from four different tire manufacturers. Had to wax it every month or else the paint would be dead. The sound system consisted of a Radio Shack FM converter that allowed you to listed to FM radio through the stock AM radio from the stock speakers.

Those were the days.:greenflag:
I think I had that same FM converter in my '68 Barracuda! Did yours have fake woodgrain on the front? I remember it was $29.95. You plugged the antenna lead into the converter and then plugged the converter into the back of the radio?

I also later put a Craig 8-track tape deck in it and somebody broke in stole it from me but left the converter there.:kookoo

3/6/09, 5:49 PM   #58
aharper33

my first truck was a 2000 Chevy S10 Extreme. one of the lowered trucks. it was a cool truck since not alot were around when i got it. it had exqactly .4 miles on it when i got it. from what the guy at the dealership was saying that is the length of the assembly line at the plant.
my dad got blessed with having a Gremlin for his first car. after that he bought an AMX with the police intercepter motor in it. that is a car i would like to get back for him since they are kind of rare.
my mom got a 1970 Chevelle. her dad told her to go pick out a car and he gave her like $4000 cash to go pay for it. those were the days

3/7/09, 8:23 AM   #59
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBurger View Post
'41 Chevrolet coupe
Marv failed to mention that he purchased this vehicle new at the local Chevrolet dealer shortly before Pearl Harbor!! :eek:

In 1958 I paid $25 for a '28 Ford Model A 2-door sedan. Eventually channeled* this beauty, :kookoo and had a wonderful pinkish primer paint job applied. :thumbsdown: My folks had it junked while I was serving in the USAF in France, before I got back. :rolling
Followed that sorry thing with another Model A in 1960. For another $25, I stepped up to a low-mile '29 2-door sedan. Sold that right before I joined the USAF, so my folks didn't get the chance to junk it.:O:

* My apologies to the younger crowd, but I just don't have time to explain the art of "channelling" a car.

3/7/09, 9:56 AM   #60
tqracer65

Bought me a 1979 Mazda RX7 Rotary engine 5 speed definately a chick magnet. bought it when I was 14 drove it in circles around the house and up and down the road. great times

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What was your 1st car