IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Woo car count bloomington
8/4/12, 12:53 PM   #51
Re: Woo car count bloomington
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiNOISE View Post
Like most on here, I prefer my sprint car racing without wings (As illustrated by the fact that if Haubstadt doesn't rainout tonight, I'll make the 175 mile drive there instead of the 60 mile drive to Pevely.) But I don't think wing fans are "brain washed", nor am I "disgusted" by their choice.

Honestly, as someone who watches both varieties of the sport, this sounds kind of condescending to me. We're still something of a niche sport, can we afford to be snobs about which type of sprint racing we support?

And by the way, I saw a pretty **** good wing race last week at Jacksonville between Brian Brown and Danny Smith.
LOL--I am 174 miles from Tri State and 60 from Pevely, and also hoping I go to Tri State this afternoon.

I saw the Highland MOWA race and was pleasantly surprised. It was the first winged race I have seen in many years. I still prefer wingless but Smith, Urish and Hull put on a good show. For $15, and only 27 miles from home.

8/4/12, 2:23 PM   #52
racephoto1

Lost the pavement sprint cars, are trying to kill Champ dirt cars. Midgets, POWERi has them in droves. Life support seems to be optimistic if you ask me.

8/4/12, 3:28 PM   #53
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Lost the pavement sprint cars, are trying to kill Champ dirt cars. Midgets, POWERi has them in droves. Life support seems to be optimistic if you ask me.
Keep grinding that ax.

8/4/12, 3:47 PM   #54
ThePurple73

One thing I have a theory on, I'm betting 10-25-50 years from now there will be a USAC type organization out of the Indy area doing the same type of thing that takes place today and the local open wheel tracks will be around in some form. Seems to me going to non-wing sprint car races is a huge part of Indiana's recreational culture. I know for years myself and many, many others have traveled to take part in it. I am not so sure the WOO will survive when a couple top crowd favorites retire. Not selling anyone short or trying to show disrespect. Just my opinion.

8/4/12, 4:25 PM   #55
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

How was the spectator count last night? I haven't seen any mention of the crowd size, just earlier comments on an anticipated large turnout.

8/4/12, 4:43 PM   #56
TBONE

Originally Posted by racephoto1:

Yet you still show up to the USAC races...if your so disturbed by USac and the product they produce why would you put yourself thru so much pain to go and shoot their races...no sanction group is perfect...

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/4/12, 4:51 PM   #57
backitin

Well I'm not the most objective when it comes to winged racing, I might be the ultimate wing hater. Maybe I missed the one good race they had in a while. I do know that the last four or five or twenty woo races I tryed to watch were all pretty bad to the point i couldnt watch. i like my stuff at least a little sideways. One good pass for the lead doesnt make must watch racing in my opinion. I do know the top race series in the nation should draw a few more than twenty or so cars. Winged cars aint even Sprintcars.

8/4/12, 5:43 PM   #58
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
Thanks for that information. Did not realize that Bellville wasn't USAC. Not looking for an argument and am curious on your perspective as to the health of USAC SC and midget divisions. SC cars have been way down this year. Midgets have been struggling the last couple of years. Both are great series in their own right, SC on the miles and midgets on the bullrings. But it seems like they have been in a big decline over the last few years.

Yes, am glad Lucas finally knocked the door down. Hopefully he will get a few more before the year is out. Great to seem him and Chad K getting wins this year. Hopefully the fans get some great racing tonight with Bellville and Pevely.
Since you asked, the SC and midget divisions are struggling a little bit. I went to my first champ dirt race at the 1977 Hoosier Hundred. My Dad told me that day to enjoy them as they won't be around long. Honestly I can't believe they have lasted this long. They got a shot in the arm a few years ago when everyone thought they were the ticket to NASCAR. I think the main thing that hurts them is there hasn't been a dirt mile built in over a hundred years. That says a lot about interest and profitablity. I love them, but I am old.
As for the midgets, the cost to run one is outrageous. People will say POWRI is doing great, and they do have a strong program, but they are grass roots racers, and do better when they stay close to home and on small tracks. That is their strength and at tracks like Belle Claire they are fantastic. ARDC is the only group I have seen any real growth out of in the last 5 years. It would be nice to see all the groups get together to figure out how to control costs, but I am not holding my breath.

1 member likes this post: ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Woo car count bloomington