IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Qouin
9/3/12, 2:19 PM   #41
Re: Du Qouin
Tim Clauson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr nobody View Post
Already saw that on USAC.com, Tim. What I am saying is this: ARCA can work with Track Enterprises to get a rain date, why can't USAC? Why couldn't ARCA, USAC and Track Enterprises work together to get a weekend at Du Quoin for the races?

Look at the ARCA schedule compared to the USAC National Series schedule. There seems to be a little more flexibility with ARCA as far as open dates compared between the two.

If you look at the full USAC National Series Schedules it might not be quite as "easy to come up with a date" as you think. Not saying it isn't possible but just picking a date is a challenge with the scheduling that it takes to have 3 National touring divisions. I have to think that if there was a suitable date for all parties involved it would of been used. As somebody stated USAC does not make $$ on cancelations, just as the promoters will not make money by running a show with high overhead and no customer support. It isn't just about plugging in a date that will fit the participants, hell we are idiots and we will do what ever it takes to support it. The key is to plug in a date that would work for the majority of the fans and after looking over the Complete USAC Schedule I just don't see where a promoter would say "There is a hole we could fill" for the USAC fan. Every weekend is filled with either USAC SC, Sprints, or Midget events. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth .....

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, Mud Packer, opnwhlmnd, SC90
9/3/12, 2:19 PM   #42
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple73 View Post
What I was thinking was something along with the 500 crowd - either with qualifying or 500 weekend when a crowd was already on hand. Not a stand alone event but rather during open time during 500 activities. Plenty of Indy oriented type fans on hand who could find it interesting and hopefully Silver Crown fans would find it interesting enough to attend and become a yearly thing fans would look forward too. Then hopefully build interest with first time watchers to attend other Silver Crown races. Just an idea.
Can you imagine what it would sound like on a Silver Crown start at Indy, coming down the front stretch. Has anyone ever tested a SC car there?
With only two days of time trials for the 500, time would be limited especially if it rains on that weekend.

The 500 weekend is already packed with track activity. Hell, the Silver Crown cars race at the Fairgrounds that weekend and they have trouble drawing a crowd.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, ronmil
9/3/12, 2:45 PM   #43
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassisman55 View Post
Back in the late 50s the Dirt Champ Cars, or as the newbies call them; Silver Crown Cars, ran at Daytona Int Speedway. Although a couple of guys were lost, the race was awesome!! These cars were never meant for half miles, but the run great at Williams Grove.
Give the Big Cars a chance' they still could be the cars of the future!!
They weren't Silver Crown cars; they were Indy cars, front engine roadster type cars that ran at the Speedway. Marshall Teague and George Amick were killed.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Vukie
9/3/12, 3:02 PM   #44
brc

It's always easy for a keyboard commando to have all the answers,
I think I am pretty realistic.
Lotsa times,,,'too many cooks spoil the soup',,in lots of ventures.It seems USAC and TE needs to put something together that doesnt have to be so difficult for the average working person,,,both competitors,,and fans to make some Silver Crown races fun to go to,,,once again ,,as they once were.
I know, bottom line the people that front the money for these types of events,has to make at least somewhat of a profit to continue these ventures. Possibly they need to get fresh blood in their management,,or,,who knows.?
In time, it seems,,even with the economy the way it is, these days,,somehow,,if their hearts are in it,,,,,this should be doable. Am I all wet?

Take Care,
BC

9/3/12, 4:09 PM   #45
ronmil

In checking the USAC schedules, I noticed that Sunday, Sept. 16th is open in all divisions. Since the sprint division is appearing at TSS (Haubstadt) the night before, that would seem like a good potential makeup date, as the two tracks are less than two hours apart and teams would already be in the area.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/3/12, 4:22 PM   #46
mr nobody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Look at the ARCA schedule compared to the USAC National Series schedule. There seems to be a little more flexibility with ARCA as far as open dates compared between the two.

If you look at the full USAC National Series Schedules it might not be quite as "easy to come up with a date" as you think. Not saying it isn't possible but just picking a date is a challenge with the scheduling that it takes to have 3 National touring divisions. I have to think that if there was a suitable date for all parties involved it would of been used. As somebody stated USAC does not make $$ on cancelations, just as the promoters will not make money by running a show with high overhead and no customer support. It isn't just about plugging in a date that will fit the participants, hell we are idiots and we will do what ever it takes to support it. The key is to plug in a date that would work for the majority of the fans and after looking over the Complete USAC Schedule I just don't see where a promoter would say "There is a hole we could fill" for the USAC fan. Every weekend is filled with either USAC SC, Sprints, or Midget events. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth .....

I always keep reading and hearing that the Silver Crown series is USAC's premiere series. If that was so then why is USAC constantly mismanaging and disregarding this series? To draw a comparison, Sprint Cup is NASCAR's premiere series yet when there is a rain out they always manage to get the race made up. All I am comparing is the status of the series within it's organization. It's plain and obvious that USAC doesn't value the Silver Crown series nor the fans of that series. If so then they would put forth the effort to have preset rain dates for these races. Never do see a rain date on my ticket stubs for the Silver Crown races I go to.

Whoever steps up to save this division is going to have the weight of the world on their shoulders in trying to salvage it, if it can be salvaged. It's maddening to see that few people here in this thread are outraged at how this and other rain dates are not handled properly. I'm so glad my membership in USAC lapsed a couple of years ago if this is all the better they value fans and racing.

2 members like this post: fasster23, SC90
9/3/12, 4:28 PM   #47
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc View Post
It's always easy for a keyboard commando to have all the answers,
I think I am pretty realistic.
Lotsa times,,,'too many cooks spoil the soup',,in lots of ventures.It seems USAC and TE needs to put something together that doesnt have to be so difficult for the average working person,,,both competitors,,and fans to make some Silver Crown races fun to go to,,,once again ,,as they once were.
I know, bottom line the people that front the money for these types of events,has to make at least somewhat of a profit to continue these ventures. Possibly they need to get fresh blood in their management,,or,,who knows.?
In time, it seems,,even with the economy the way it is, these days,,somehow,,if their hearts are in it,,,,,this should be doable. Am I all wet?

Take Care,
BC
Since you asked, I think you are all wet. Everyone on this forum is a race fan. Everyone on this forum has a favorite class or series. If you take the average fan and state, "You can spend $30 dollars for a ticket and $300 to get to the races and spend the night in a hotel, what type of races do you want to see?"

For most people on this board, the top three answers are going to be, USAC/Wingless sprints, USAC/POWRI midgets, Wing sprints (WOO). The bottom three answers are going to be Late models, Modifieds and Silver Crown cars.

If you ask that same question to dirt fans in general, the order will change some WOO sprints, Late models, USAC sprints, Modfieds, midgets, and silver crown cars. Depending on where you are at, modified may go way up or way down. Regradless, the events with the largest fan base are the WOO sprints and the one with the least fan base is the silver crown cars.

Regrardless of the crowd, for most fans there are many more options than to go spend money on than a silver crown race.

Once again, it is not a conspiracy against Silver Crown Cars. People vote with their wallets and the promoters have listened. If Silver Crown dates were consistently profitable, more promoters would have them.
Last edited by Jonr; 9/3/12 at 4:29 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/3/12, 4:37 PM   #48
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
In checking the USAC schedules, I noticed that Sunday, Sept. 16th is open in all divisions. Since the sprint division is appearing at TSS (Haubstadt) the night before, that would seem like a good potential makeup date, as the two tracks are less than two hours apart and teams would already be in the area.
Is Monday a Holiday like today is Ron?? Not everyone is retired you know,and DuQuoin is hours away from a majority of fans in Indiana etc

9/3/12, 5:00 PM   #49
ronmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Is Monday a Holiday like today is Ron?? Not everyone is retired you know,and DuQuoin is hours away from a majority of fans in Indiana etc
Andrew,
USAC used to run Sunday afternoon races all the way through October at various tracks; i.e. Salem, Winchester, Terre Haute, Eldora, Tri-County, (outside of Cincinnati) usually a twin-fifty features format, and they ran to packed houses. I was not retired then, and I would get up in the wee hours on a Sunday morning and make the two to five hour plus (one way) drive and still be able to get home, get enough sleep to function properly, and go to school the next day. Never missed a day because of my racing. Really miss those late season races!
Most of the fans at DuQuoin come from southern Illinois/southwest Indiana and the St. Louis area, so the regulars would still show up. For you, a trip to DuQuoin would probably be comparable to a trip to Gas City or Kokomo for me, so it probably wouldn't be practical for you.

9/3/12, 5:54 PM   #50
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Andrew,
USAC used to run Sunday afternoon races all the way through October at various tracks; i.e. Salem, Winchester, Terre Haute, Eldora, Tri-County, (outside of Cincinnati) usually a twin-fifty features format, and they ran to packed houses. I was not retired then, and I would get up in the wee hours on a Sunday morning and make the two to five hour plus (one way) drive and still be able to get home, get enough sleep to function properly, and go to school the next day. Never missed a day because of my racing. Really miss those late season races!
Most of the fans at DuQuoin come from southern Illinois/southwest Indiana and the St. Louis area, so the regulars would still show up. For you, a trip to DuQuoin would probably be comparable to a trip to Gas City or Kokomo for me, so it probably wouldn't be practical for you.
Your living in the past tense. Its not the 70s anymore,people dont flock to Sunday afternoon shows anymore in October . USAC doesnt run at Salem or Winchester anymore. DuQuoin doesnt run Sunday afternoons anymore. etc. etc....
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 9/3/12 at 5:59 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Qouin