IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Miller's Words Endorsing High Cost of Midget Racing
8/19/09, 6:19 PM   #41
Re: Miller's Words Endorsing High Cost of Midget Racing
cecil98

I'm on Don's side on this issue. While Kevin Miller may not be to blame for the ridiculous cost of running a midget, he has all but admitted that he sees no reason to try and reign in or, contain the cost of this type of racing. I have seen Don Moore make many posts on here discussing cost containment but, Don isn't running the show, Kevin Miller is. And Kirk Spridge? How about letting the fine folks here on IOW know what Kevin is doing to try and save the sport, since you've obviously talked with him at length on this subject.

3 members like this post: Ovalmeister, pgray, SPRINTCAR
8/19/09, 8:00 PM   #42
Vukie

From Robin's Miller Notebook. http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-for-8-19//P3/

"Q: What is going on with USAC’s pavement divisions? Salem drew 10 midgets and 12 sprint cars! Personally, I disagreed with your position on USAC’s new Gold Crown division, as I thought this had potential to be a promising endeavor for USAC. But now I am seeing your point, USAC needs to pay more attention to their current problems, and high on that list should be strengthening the turnouts at pavement races.

Nick Walters, Champaign, IL

RM: Salem's rough surface evidently kept a lot of teams away, although high-banked pavement races haven't had much of a car count for some time now. I more concerned that there were only 33 cars at the Belleville Nationals and Davey Hamilton dropped the Hut Hundred because USAC couldn't guarantee 33 cars. There's a lot of people unhappy with USAC boss Kevin Miller and I intend to write something soon about what is going on."

This could get interesting.

8/19/09, 8:52 PM   #43
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Real simple, Chris Wilke. The thread is not about me.
You post a year old quote about a group that you have a personal vendetta against, and say the quote is not about you. I disagree. The post is about you continuing your vendetta against USAC.

USAC midget racing has issues, and midget racing in general has issues. However, complaining to hear your own voice is not going to solve the problem.

I agree with Chirs' earlier post that it is going to take all of the national series working together. If USAC, Powri, Badger, etc could all work together on cost, it would only help themselves.

Badger is having a tough year, but if they drastically changed their rules they would surely loose a lot of the cars that make people excited about thier series. It is exciting that Brad Loyet tows long distances to race. It is exciting that Jerry Coons, and Tracy Hines may or may not be at Angell Park.

It would be very possible for the major groups to quit scheduling on top of themselves for the 2010 series. They could even take on more joint shows. At the same time, they could announce rule changes for the 2011 series to address cost. This would give them a sustain plan for next year, and a growth plan for the following year.

8/19/09, 9:06 PM   #44
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
From Robin's Miller Notebook. http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-for-8-19//P3/

"Q: What is going on with USAC’s pavement divisions? Salem drew 10 midgets and 12 sprint cars! Personally, I disagreed with your position on USAC’s new Gold Crown division, as I thought this had potential to be a promising endeavor for USAC. But now I am seeing your point, USAC needs to pay more attention to their current problems, and high on that list should be strengthening the turnouts at pavement races.

Nick Walters, Champaign, IL

RM: Salem's rough surface evidently kept a lot of teams away, although high-banked pavement races haven't had much of a car count for some time now. I more concerned that there were only 33 cars at the Belleville Nationals and Davey Hamilton dropped the Hut Hundred because USAC couldn't guarantee 33 cars. There's a lot of people unhappy with USAC boss Kevin Miller and I intend to write something soon about what is going on."

This could get interesting.
This coming from somone (Robin Miller) who was agains tthe early IRL and now thinks the early IRL is the way AOW racing should be.

Robin changes his mind about as often as the weather in Illinois changes.

Hey Robin, pick a side and stick to it.

8/19/09, 9:13 PM   #45
Jonr

Don,

I forgot to ask. How did your cars do this weekend?

8/19/09, 9:23 PM   #46
Kevin Miller

While I try to hold back sounding defensive on behalf of USAC, or myself, I believe there are many mistruths being spread here that need addressed. After receiving a call from a potential new car owner voicing concerns from this discussion, I felt compelled to respond.

Mr. Moore, who I have met once in the last 18 months for a brief 5 minute conversation, points to a statement I made from PRI the 3rd day on my job, in December 2007. Yes, my assessment has changed since that day over 18 months ago. Last month USAC had EVERY midget engine manufacturer and several top builders together for a meeting discussing our concerns regarding the cost and durability of current engine platforms. After four hours of intense discussion, the group was unified in the direction to embark. USAC is now working with industry leaders exploring this viable solution for implementation. More on that to come. In the meantime Don, my offer to come and discuss the direction of USAC or call directly anytime, still stands.

Several people point to a recent race with 11 midgets, yet three weeks ago we had 40 midgets at ORP. They all still there. The simple fact is that those who do not run for USAC points, especially late in the season as the points championship narrows down, elect to run where and when the wish. Tracks that are especially hard on motors tend to attract fewer cars. While we see a decline throughout grassroot motorsports in car count due to economic conditions, it is not specific to midgets or USAC.

And while I have addressed this subject openly on this forum previously, I will again state my stance on co-sanctioning as many of you are unaware of the position USAC has taken. WE ENDORSE CO-SANCTIONED EVENTS! Our position on these events is that USAC must retain the leadership in the officiating, timing and scoring of the event to ensure the integrity of our National Championship. Pretty simple. Nothing has changed or been modified in that direction in the last 18 months. We have offered many midget organizations a stronger relationship in the past year. SMRS, based in Oklahoma, has even become a partner with USAC in their series.

Here are some other key facts you may not be aware of:

The competition base for USAC has more than doubled in the past 12 months, up 115%
Our internet web traffic has increased 650% in the past year
Fan counts have been exceptional this year at the tracks.

There are some planned meetings upcoming (dates yet to be announced) with our competitors to ensure their knowledge of our gameplan and the results thus far.

In the meantime, lets not forget the positives in the sport and work together to build new fans, owners and drivers. Just two weeks ago we put the Silver Crown cars back on the track in Oswego and stopped selling grandstand tickets (5000+ capacity) one hour before race time! And Indiana Sprint Week saw great crowds and incredible racing action that went wire to wire down to the last lap.

The negativity published here, without all the facts, nearly cost us a new car owner today. Thankfully he took the time to learn the real facts and not just read opinions based on forum discussion.

Kevin

4 members like this post: buck2, ChaseTheRace!, Fred Zirzow, SPRINTCAR
8/20/09, 12:29 AM   #47
ryoung99

Race Count This Year: 10

Mr Miller,

I am curious which mis-truths you meant to dispell?

Your message did not state anything different than what I have read on this board.

As for the statistics you quoted, I can increase website traffic just by reorganizing a site (as USAC did) and make the users click more buttons. Either way the statistic that is most relevant is car count, and you validated that you recently had a National race with 11 cars. Where is the mistruth?

When was the last time WoO had an 11 car race?

Did you mean to counter the accusation that you think midget racing is fine and does not need change? If so, your post really did not do that. It stated that you have had a meeting, vision without action is but a dream. Until action occurs, whether that is your "intention" or not, is irrelevant as you will have endorsed the status quo by not changing the direction. From where I sit, the boat is still sailing in the same direction.

In the end the heat that appears to be coming your way is due to the lack of a plan (at least one that has been communcated). Mr. Spridgeon has made it very clear that USAC is the trend setter, if that is what you are then where is your plan to ensure that you never have another National race with 11 cars? I have sat in plenty of meetings in my career that have lasted 4+ hours, the meeting means very little without action and a plan.

As for almost losing an owner based on what has been written on this board, 11 cars at a National race, and the cancellation of the Hut Hundred, have hurt more than anything written on this board.

You are in a position to change the sport, the move is yours. You can state any statistic you wish, but the fact is that participation is down and the individuals on this board are asking one simple question, what is your plan? Personally I wish you luck as you are in a tough position and I do wish you all the best in making your move to help revive USAC midget racing. I would suspect that most on this board would love to see USAC move in the right direction (whatever that direction is) to successfully restore midget car counts. But until you have a plan that you are executing people are going to question your leadership, and you should expect that. The good news is people are still talking about USAC and you. Be more concerned when that stops.

Best wishes,
Rick
Last edited by ryoung99; 8/20/09 at 10:01 AM.

2 members like this post: Ovalmeister, thebus79h
8/20/09, 6:38 AM   #48
USAC Fan

Rick, I wonder if you wouldn't have the same accusatory attitude if USAC didn't reject sanctioning your Capital City Midgets? I find it highly unlikely you would have the same tone, if this was two years ago when you were practically begging USAC to help you get started.

8/20/09, 6:55 AM   #49
grinch

Rick..... I noticed in your post that you miss the spelling of spridges name........for me that spoiled your post.......i dont really know spridge all that well but do realize he is a hard core race fan and deserves to have his name spelled correctly.........

8/20/09, 8:35 AM   #50
DonMoore10

A very well written post, Mr. Young. To the point and on the topic. Unfortunately, the last last two posts before this one are again trying to divert the topic. Gentlemen, this thread is not about Mr. Young, his personal business or Capital City Midgets. If you have 0 to say about the topic and 100% comment on some other subject, please don't clutter. If you want to talk about those subjects, please start your own thread. Read the terms of service agreement for more info. Thanks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Miller's Words Endorsing High Cost of Midget Racing