IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Will your schedule change?
3/8/22, 9:36 PM   #41
TQ29m

As well as most of ours.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/8/22, 9:58 PM   #42
Re: Will your schedule change?
yeleyfan76

[QUOTE=BrentTFunk;549607]I bet those companies are really hurting. In fall of 2020 they shut down refineries to cut supply to increase demand.

Please help me out here. In the fall of 2020 I can’t remember for sure but maybe just maybe we were 6 months into the 2 weeks to stop the spread of Covid. I’m thinking that’s when no kids went to school and a majority of the population was working from home. Also most indoor and outdoor gatherings, including restaurants were limited. Again I might be off but if those facts were correct is it possible there actually might have been very little demand???? Asking for a friend. Next since apparently my math must be off, if 80% of our oil goes to China that means we only use 20%????
I believe the initial post asked for this to not get political and it was going well. Please keep it that way and if you don’t like the oil companies that is fine that’s your business but please don’t insult peoples intelligence.

3 members like this post: jdull99, racenut69, sw1911
3/8/22, 10:09 PM   #43
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

May of 2020 I drove out to south west Colorado to visit parents. Interstates were like ghost highways. Best time I’ve ever had driving on an interstate and made exceptionally good time.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Dirtfan, PIT CART, tirespinner
3/8/22, 11:25 PM   #44
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
"If those numbers come to fruition and become reality all nonessential travel will be drastically curtailed for the average household. Scary scenario for sure."

Environmental extremists force USA to beg Venezuela, Saudi Arabia et al to increase production instead of reversing ***** day one restrictions on domestic production. Lack of national energy policy that doesn't change every 2 or 4 years is killing us.
So much for the no ********. Way to distill a complex issue into political partisanship on a racing site. 🙄

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Danny Burton, dirtnonwingfan, oldfan49, Will Shunk
3/8/22, 11:38 PM   #45
captrat

[QUOTE=ThrowbackRacingTeam;549618]You do realize we were energy independent just over 2 years ago and the wars in Middle East had nothing to do with oil but everything to do with Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land and the ongoing Cold War with Russia fought through 3rd party belligerents. As for racing, I’m already crossing off some races on my list. The prospects are bad and we already went through this during the president before *****. This is no surprise to some of us. Your lives are about to drastically change.[/QUOT

So you think that 2 years ago we were not importing oil from primarily from the Middle East? Also Russian oil is about 3% of our total petroleum imports. The petroleum market has been a global inter-connected economy since the Europeans left the Middle East nearly 100 years ago.

1 member likes this post: Pitdad
3/9/22, 12:06 AM   #46
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

[quote=captrat;549627]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
You do realize we were energy independent just over 2 years ago and the wars in Middle East had nothing to do with oil but everything to do with Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land and the ongoing Cold War with Russia fought through 3rd party belligerents. As for racing, I’m already crossing off some races on my list. The prospects are bad and we already went through this during the president before *****. This is no surprise to some of us. Your lives are about to drastically change.[/QUOT

So you think that 2 years ago we were not importing oil from primarily from the Middle East? Also Russian oil is about 3% of our total petroleum imports. The petroleum market has been a global inter-connected economy since the Europeans left the Middle East nearly 100 years ago.

There are different types of Oil. Brent Crude is the one most American refineries use to distill Gas, Diesel. But yes, we were exporting more oil than importing in 2019. now we are about two million barrels a day to the import side.

There are several factors that go into it. While most Gulf and lower midwest oil is refinable here. Oil from the Alaskan Pipeline is mostly exported.

Also late 2018-early 2019 The price of a Barrel of Oil was roughly 30 dollars. Now nearing 130 At 30 dollars a barrel many drilling and pumping sites in the US are not profitable. It takes about 50 dollars plus for them to make money on the research, drilling, leases and royalties (Yes the US GOVT makes royalties on leased land pumping) So at that time Im sure some drilling stopped. Also Covid when the highways in major cities were bare from March to may of 2020 caused a lot of shut down in production.

I barely scratched the surface

2 members like this post: addictedtodirt, jdull99
3/9/22, 3:59 AM   #47
jdull99

I'm thankful my memory is good enough I know EXACTLY how much gas cost early November 2020 and that it was HIGH just a couple weeks ago before this war...it is disgusting that some expect us to not remember those FACTS...

And there WAS plenty of racing (& other sports) going on thru Oct & Nov in 2020...the steal hasn't stopped and will continue at the pumps, tire prices, and everything else...

It was amazing how well racing did the last couple of years...I think it will take some creativity ("blockchain" and crypto sponsors; maybe shorter races, LESS practice, etc) for it to survive this assault (don't forget PRI reminds us often of on-going efforts there is to take racing away from us - https://www.performanceracing.com/rpm-act).

I'm just thankful there is a race track 3minutes from my house that I hope can keep plugging away. I feel bad for those that have to travel and I certainly don't miss filling my tow rig up...(always streched it and ran out often...)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, John P Huss, superstock30, TQ97
3/9/22, 1:07 PM   #48
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
May of 2020 I drove out to south west Colorado to visit parents. Interstates were like ghost highways. Best time I’ve ever had driving on an interstate and made exceptionally good time.
It didn't hurt that the LEOs did not want to make any unnecessary traffic stops!!

2 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, tirespinner
3/9/22, 1:25 PM   #49
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
It didn't hurt that the LEOs did not want to make any unnecessary traffic stops!!
Correct, Never saw 1.

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
3/9/22, 1:29 PM   #50
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
A great post? Not hardly. Most people who go don't have an infinite supply of money, and it's short sighted to think that $5 a gallon gas isn't going to hit other areas hard as well. It's like people who support the $15 minimum wage. Yes, it helps those in minimum wage jobs, but the increases are simply passed on to the consumer, in effect, it is simply a tax on the people and it ends up impacting the people its supposed to help. Much of the wage increases were eaten up by inflation before the Russian invasion.

The increase in fuel costs, costs to heat buildings, produce other products are coming down the pipeline shortly. And at some point, people are going to have to make some hard choices, just like they did in the 1970's. I was around then, and a lot of people did without. Money that could have been spent elsewhere fueling the economy was spent getting to work, or keeping the lights burning at home. Going out to eat was a rare treat, not an expectation.

Of course, you're all going to be better off when we are all electric, and taking out loans to pay for those $70,000-$80,000 electric cars and trucks that may or may not get you to the track and back. Bankers are licking their chops at the prospects.

Sir, paying $5 a gallon for gas isn't going to keep your son in law out of a war. Not being dependent on hostile governments for critical resources is a far better solution.
Nobody here said it wouldn't have a big effect. Our heating oil costs have been INSANE this winter. I think the point was that if we want to do something non-essential like racing, we're gonna have to suck it up & pay more

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Will your schedule change?