IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic
7/19/11, 7:58 PM   #31
Re: Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic
sw1911

Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic: General Manager Mark Simendinger says, "We’ve had an overwhelming response to our inaugural NASCAR Sprint Cup Series “Quaker State400.” We know we had challenges related to traffic. We’re already planning improvements and looking forward to a much better situation for next year’s event."

Disingenuous spin makes me retch. The above response will keep me from ever going to a Nascar race, especially a Bruton Smith place.

7/19/11, 9:20 PM   #32
Danny Burton

Fans, or lack of fans, will determine if Bruton and Co. keep this race date.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

7/20/11, 12:18 AM   #33
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
No, I will own up to mine being extremly negative. I remember sitting in traffic for four plus hours on a very hot and humid day and not being able to see a race. Also, a number of people that went to this years race that I have talked to AND made it in said they wouldn't go back again. Not only was it difficult to get in and park but the traffic getting out was worse. Over six hours to clear the parking lots!

My point is that with all of the previous traffic/parking issues how could they think that adding more seats without doing anything to improve on more roads for traffic flow and additional parking could they have anything but a fiasco? It doesn't take very long to add a bunch of seats since the track ownership is providing the money to erect them.

They needed to sit down with local and state officials and get some much needed infrastructure improvements in place before they even attempted to stage an event of this magnitude. With the economic situation the way it is, it will be extremely difficult to get money appropriated for the needed changes much less get them completed in time for a race a year from now.

The location of the track also presents problems since the Ohio River is in close proximity and you don't just build a couple of bridges over it to solve a problem either.

In looking at it your way it was a huge success. They sold out and the track and local businesses made millions. I am sure that they want this race to stay. Who wouldn't?

With all of that being said, how long do you think that will last if nothing changes? How many fans will return for another round of this type of treatment?

Did you attend this race by any chance Russ? If so, what were your thoughts on it? How would you fix it?
No, I did not attend. I have only been to two NASCAR races in my life, both at IMS. NASCAR is not my favorite type of racing but I have nothing against it like alot of the people on here seem to. If I'm home and it's on, I'll watch it. I'm a big Dave Blaney fan so I try to keep up with how he is doing. I do actually admire how NASCAR has went from pretty much a regional stock car series to the most powerful organization in motorsports. I don't understand the actual hate that some on here seem to have for NASCAR and it's fans. I mean, as much as sprint car racing needs new fans that makes absolutely no sense. I couldn't begin to count how many times I've read on here that they don't want any NASCAR fans at their track or sitting anywhere close to them. Some seem to think just because they like sprint cars they are smarter, better fans than someone who likes stock cars. As far as the problems they had at Kentucky, I wouldn't have any idea how to fix things. I do know those people down there fought long and hard for that date and I think they'll do everything possible to fix it. A lot of people around there have quite a bit riding on that race being a success.

7/20/11, 9:41 AM   #34
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
No, I did not attend. I have only been to two NASCAR races in my life, both at IMS. NASCAR is not my favorite type of racing but I have nothing against it like alot of the people on here seem to. If I'm home and it's on, I'll watch it. I'm a big Dave Blaney fan so I try to keep up with how he is doing. I do actually admire how NASCAR has went from pretty much a regional stock car series to the most powerful organization in motorsports. I don't understand the actual hate that some on here seem to have for NASCAR and it's fans. I mean, as much as sprint car racing needs new fans that makes absolutely no sense. I couldn't begin to count how many times I've read on here that they don't want any NASCAR fans at their track or sitting anywhere close to them. Some seem to think just because they like sprint cars they are smarter, better fans than someone who likes stock cars. As far as the problems they had at Kentucky, I wouldn't have any idea how to fix things. I do know those people down there fought long and hard for that date and I think they'll do everything possible to fix it. A lot of people around there have quite a bit riding on that race being a success.
Russ,

I agree that NASCAR and Bruton Smith along with his organization has a lot riding on this. The previous owner, Jerry Carroll spent a bunch of money trying to lure a Sprint Cup race to Kentucky Speedway. When that wasn't going to happen, he sold it to Bruton Smith and they in turn took a date from Atlanta and moved it to Kentucky.

I have lost some interest in NASCAR over the past 20 years or so but I still attend two weekends each year. In my opinion, the racing isn't nearly as good but NASCAR has done a tremendous job in marketing their series as "entertainment events" that most other forms of motorsports could learn a lot from. I also feel NASCAR took a big hit when Bill France passed away. He was the leader that took them from that regional series into the national spotlight.

I am sure that they can fix the issues that are plaguing them. However, it will take time to do this and I personally don't see that getting done for a number of years. The state of Kentucky as well as local government agencies will have to step up and provide infrastructure improvements in order to accomplish much of this. Kentucky is a lot like other states in that they don't have money laying around to just throw at a project like this.

I also don't dislike their fans but I really don't understand why they have to stand up to watch the race? Different tracks also play out differently. We still go to Bristol and Talladega and at Bristol the fans sit down most of the time. At Talladega, they may as well take the seats out.

I enjoy almost all types of auto racing while most on this board are pretty die hard open wheel fans. I still think we can coexist and maybe even learn something from other forms of racing.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: jim goerge, sw1911
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kentucky Speedway statement on traffic