IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS @ Florence this Saturday!!!!!
8/29/09, 11:33 PM   #31
Re: MSCS @ Florence this Saturday!!!!!
streetstock29

I hope you guys stayed for the late model feature. WOW - what a race.

8/29/09, 11:37 PM   #32
LEADERS EDGE

On a serious note.....There is a disturbing trend where teams aren't going to the bigger money shows. Basically between 18-30 cars for 3-10,000 to win races. Great drivers aren't even going where the money is.

This is a very tough trend because promotors are going to quit offering this money. They even had $100 tow for Florance.

8/30/09, 12:01 AM   #33
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
On a serious note.....There is a disturbing trend where teams aren't going to the bigger money shows. Basically between 18-30 cars for 3-10,000 to win races. Great drivers aren't even going where the money is.

This is a very tough trend because promotors are going to quit offering this money. They even had $100 tow for Florance.

If your not within a 100 mile radius of Indy, you will not get a good car count period. Cost too much to travel just to break or crash.

8/30/09, 12:11 AM   #34
Gregg

Congrats to Hud Cone on the win and a fine run. He pulled away from the start. Weir finished a strong second but wasn't able to real Cone in much. The drive of the night was Ricky Williams. He was patient and for most of the race was the only one that used what little bit of cushion there was on top. At times he was only a couple inches from the wall but from my vantage point he never once touched it. Robert Ballou went the other way, hugging the very bottom to find something. It worked a little too as he was able to move up a few positions.

On the way over I hit up the ATM in Aurora, Indiana. On the way out of the lot I debated on which way to turn onto US-50, right to North Vernon or left to Florence Speedway. I turned left to Florence and still am not sure I made the right decision. The track was a dry slickie all night and what might make for good late model racing (which it was) doesn't necessarily make for good sprint car racing. It looked like Lawrenceburg at Fun Fest the way the sprinters were tip toeing through the corners in the heats. I guess I'm just spoiled.

8/30/09, 12:28 AM   #35
LEADERS EDGE

Putnamville is as close as it gets and it took a new promotor to get cars.

You don't get cars because guys think that where the money is, is where the big dogs are.

What does it matter if you race in Florance or Noth Vernon? If you break or crash it still costs the same. The tow costs are basically incidental at that point.

We broke a motor at Phoenix one year and Kokomo the next. Kokomo cost more and I didn't even get a good vacation out of it.

Too many options and not enough guys making rent form what they earn at the track. Although Shuman is about as professional as we have around; I think he usually uses the method of zigging when everyone else zags. He is a good enough racer that he knows when he pulls into a pit area where he is the top dog, he will usually take home the biggest bone.

Don't blame him. He is a great racer and he just uses his talents where he feels he can cash the big check on that night. I just wish that there were fewer options to where $3000 a night was the norm instead of the special. Can't happen when the best are split among 3-4 tracks on Saturdays.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 8/30/09 at 12:33 AM.

8/30/09, 12:39 AM   #36
hoosierhillbilly

Congrats to Hud Cone a long deserved win.

As I was watching this race, I felt like it was in slow motion due to the track conditions. It sort of reminded me of a silver crown race as tip-toed through the corners. I was really suprised that it went caution free.

The Late Model Race was excellent. It was definately a good one. THe modified feature was shaping up to be good but I left after the many late cautions.

All in all, I had an enjoyable night so the stop was worth it.

8/30/09, 12:39 AM   #37
smith19

gregg you are right. the track sucked. it was a skating rink right off the bat. it usually get's black over there but hell it was black in hot laps. lm feature was pretty good.if i didn't like late models i would have thrown $18 in the trash.

8/30/09, 1:05 AM   #38
LEADERS EDGE

I was talking to a younger driver who has spent the summer racing here and I asked him who he was surprised by the most. The most under rated driver back here. Whithout hesitation he said Hud Cone. He said he was one of the toughest drivers he has ever raced against.

Congrats to Hud.

8/30/09, 1:13 AM   #39
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

MSCS Sprints

1st HEAT FINISH 8 LAP
1 14 Hud Cone
2 G1 Scotty Weir
3 21x Terry Babb
4 2 Brad Stevens
5 1x Kurt Gross
6 51 Jimmy Gardner

2nd HEAT FINISH 8 LAP
1 9x Dickie Gaines
2 25n Adam Nigg
3 11d Justin Grant
4 71 Duane Spille
5 98g Erik Folger
6 10f Blake Fitzpatrick

3rd HEAT FINISH 8 LAP
1 17f Nic Faas
2 81 Robert Ballou
3 11 Chris Windom
4 11w Ricky Williams
5 3c Kyle Cummins
6 28 Brandon Mattox

"A" MAIN FINISH 30 LAP
1 14 Hud Cone
2 G1 Scotty Weir
3 81 Robert Ballou
4 11 Chris Windom
5 3c Kyle Cummins
6 11w Ricky Williams
7 17f Nic Faas
8 11d Justin Grant
9 25n Adam Nigg
10 9x Dickie Gaines
11 1x Kurt Gross
12 2 Brad Stevens
13 51 Jimmy Gardner
14 10f Blake Fitzpatrick
15 28 Brandon Mattox
16 98g Erik Folger
17 71 Duane Spille
18 21x Terry Babb

1 member likes this post: 3Cfan
8/30/09, 1:32 AM   #40
cshuman

Well, thank you? I think lol..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS @ Florence this Saturday!!!!!