IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gateway Dirt Nationals
12/2/18, 12:24 PM   #31
badcoupe

Racing was good track was very rough for all the races despite their efforts. Cars hopped in turns pretty hard. Took the top of the track a bit come in.

12/2/18, 12:37 PM   #32
bmemmer

Racing was good, not great, not bad. Track was extremely rough and was hard for guys to throw sliders across the turns. With that being said they had a early winter storm a week or so ago and caused for the dirt to have more moisture in it then it's had in year's past to cause the dirt to rut up. There is going to be people on here that ***** and say they won't go back but I promise you your going to regret not going back. I've went to this event every year and Cody Sommer and crew just keeps taking it to the next level every year. He cares so much about the teams and fans and has made changes every year from all the feedback he gets.He wants to see the good for all dirt motorsports just not late model's or mod's but the sport overall. People who get on the keyboard and stay home and complain that there is to many classes or I don't like that class your not doing our sport any good. The racing that the late models and mods put on at this track is great. If the Midgets are invited back next year I really hope a lot more of the open wheel fans will be more open minded and just give this event 1 chance and check it out for yourself. I mean what else you got to do in December?!?! If it's not your cup of tea then stay home for year's to come but I promise you will be booking hotel's for the next year when you leave on Saturday night. Btw if you decide to give this event a chance you might want to buy tickets early as the whole lower bowl was sold out and fans were in the upper levels. Hope everybody has a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! Take care!
Last edited by bmemmer; 12/2/18 at 12:47 PM.

12/2/18, 1:49 PM   #33
huskermudd

We were in the lower bowl not a bad seat in the house. We moved up to the top bowl for the features and the view was better up there we will be going back as long as they keep the midgets. I think what they should do is run LM and Mods one weekend and Midgets and Sprints the next.

6 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97, oppweld, SpfldMile, tmac39, WinglessLovers
12/2/18, 2:11 PM   #34
Re: Gateway Dirt Nationals
ISF

We're relatively close to St. Louis but not close enough to commute daily. We looked into attending the St. Louis event when the midgets were announced to be included this year but after we checked into the whole deal it was too large of a monetary commitment for an unproven commodity. Tickets, lodging, parking, concessions pricing and relative inconvenience in the downtown urban setting were what tipped the scale in favor of sitting this one out. Even the PPV pricing was inflated beyond what we've become accustomed to.

We attend the full Chili Bowl schedule every year which is an even larger financial commitment but it's not in such a congested setting and we're attending a time tested and dependably solid event in regards to entertainment value. No support classes, either.

If they persist to include 3 classes of cars they probably need to limit car count to a more manageable number in all classes. 8 or 9 hours is a bit much for most folks. A similar case can be made for the Saturday midget racing marathon out in Tulsa. The difference is that the Saturday Chili Bowl deal is but one class and it's possible to come and go freely without having to fight for, and possibly pay multiple times to park. Not as long of a walk from our vehicle, as well.

5 members like this post: cornerthree, Kansasdirtfan, luckybuc97, oppweld, Steve Wendel
12/2/18, 7:42 PM   #35
jim goerge

I watched it on ppv I really thought they did a great job streaming it, not once did I lose the stream. I"m not a late model or mod guy at all BUT after watching those races I can see why a lot of people like them. The track was pretty rough cuz of extra moisture in the dirt from a earlier winter storm, which I think added to it, I"d never seen a late model bounce completely off the ground, I thought the midgets were the stars of the show . Next year I"ll be there!! Saw where they texted a sprint car and even a winged car, if they bring those in next year hope its on differce weekends, Next year when LM or mods come out I may not head for beer or pop corn

3 members like this post: bmemmer, i love dirt track racing, sjracer26
12/2/18, 10:21 PM   #36
hoosierboy3

How was the ventilation? Just curious, I fell victim to the dreaded chili bowl “flu” before from the fumes. Wish I could’ve made the trip for this one, looked awesome. Maybe Duquoin or the rumble will pan out better for me

12/3/18, 1:15 AM   #37
bmemmer

Fumes aren't a issue. They ran 32 races on Friday and never once stopped for a break to let fumes out

2 members like this post: tmac39, WinglessLovers
12/3/18, 7:42 AM   #38
LUCKYONE

Everyone talks about track. But no run down?

12/3/18, 8:29 AM   #39
miledirt

So for those who actually do track prep, could you chime in on the issue of early winter storm and so more moisture was in the dirt than expected and that's why the track rutted up so bad.

I agree with others, the racing wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. If the ruts hadn't been there, I think you could have seen a top and bottom and a lot of slide jobs with the midgets. If they keep the midgets, I'll be back for sure.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
12/3/18, 9:55 AM   #40
Rpracing1

Are the logistics too crazy to do Mods on night 1, Late Models on night 2 and Midgets on night 3? Or any other order for that matter. Three complete shows with different divisions each day?
Last edited by Rpracing1; 12/3/18 at 11:00 AM.

4 members like this post: ISF, jim goerge, luckybuc97, racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gateway Dirt Nationals