IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Andrew S. Quinn (Offline)
  #31 1/8/15 5:28 PM
Originally Posted by Nate:
I'd like to see USAC work with POWRi or vice versa in order to get an event(s) together like the Kokomo Grand Prix last year. They had something like 45 cars both nights at Kokomo which was more than any one night of Indiana Midget Week. That would help get more fans out to see them, more attention to the track(s) and midget racing as a whole.
From my view,the Indiana fans like midget racing as long as there are sprint cars on the same card. No sprint cars, not to many fans.

There were plenty of midgets last year at the Kokomo Gran Prix. It was early in the season so no conflicting races with anyplace else, but not a good crowd at all. I wish they would have it again, but I don't blame them for not scheduling it either.
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, dirtnonwingfan, racing2bwithu2
Nate (Offline)
  #32 1/8/15 5:45 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn:
From my view,the Indiana fans like midget racing as long as there are sprint cars on the same card. No sprint cars, not to many fans.

There were plenty of midgets last year at the Kokomo Grand Prix. It was early in the season so no conflicting races with anyplace else, but not a good crowd at all. I wish they would have it again, but I don't blame them for not scheduling it either.
I 100% agree, but an event(s) such as the Kokomo GP last season that is co-sanctioned would still draw more cars and fans than a POWRi or USAC event by themselves. The Kokomo GP in 2014 drew 10-15 more cars each night than the Turkey Night GP and far more than Belleville and both only had so-so crowds at those two events as well.
Flatrightrear (Offline)
  #33 1/9/15 5:45 AM
If guys could run their dirt cars on pavement maybe you could rebuild the pavement series but with needing two different cars I don't see it being viable. Not enough bucks to go around.
7 Likes: Copperhead, DaveP63, jdull99, jim goerge, Midget 89, The Old Coyote, ThrowbackRacingTeam
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #34 1/9/15 7:57 PM
I miss the parity and fairness of NAMARS. Look at this partial press release from 14years ago.

" With an astonishing 18 different winners in NAMARS Championship Midget Car Series competition in 1999 including Baumgartner, Boice, Darland, Drake, Drinan, Elliot, Fisher, Flesher, Fuller, Gibson, Hatton, Herb, Hines, Klepper, Koch, Malone, Newman, and Welpott, a stout, competitive field is assured for the NAMARS Shoot-Out. These winners from the previous season are invited to participate in a special race to kick off the new season and give the fans great entertainment as the best drivers battle for top honors. The 12-lap Shoot-Out will pay over $3,000 in posted awards. "

Peace & love to all.
God bless our Troops at home and abroad.
INDY1808 SEE YOU AT THE RACES !
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
12 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, Charles Nungester, cwfan08, DaveP63, jim goerge, Midget 89, mowerman, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright, ronmil, team3521, vitron
Hot Rod K. (Offline)
  #35 1/10/15 7:33 PM
Kokomo Grand Prix. Apr 10th-11th 2015.
3 Likes: addictedtodirt, dirtnonwingfan, Pat O'Connor Fan
PAW (Offline)
  #36 1/11/15 8:43 AM
Originally Posted by Hot Rod K.:
Kokomo Grand Prix. Apr 10th-11th 2015.
POWRi won't be there they have races that weekend.Won't be the car count we had last year....

:99:: Wings Don't Move Air THEY SUCK
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #37 1/11/15 9:08 AM
Glad I read through it before commenting.

Quinn is exactly right. We love midgets. The problem is, There hasn't been steady midget racing in indiana since 16th closed and Nammars folded. There hasn't been several shows at each track since the mid 70s. Honestly, If you don't follow them regularly, Your only going to know the sprint drivers who are driving midgets. Even if you do keep up. You haven't seen the stars much, How often in Indiana/OH do you see the Felkers and other Powri Guys running? Only if they hold a show and only if that show gets run (Weather)

What Im saying is, Scheduling a midget show and expecting both good car count and fan count is at minimal A RISKY move in areas that don't have it regularly.
Each track has a core group of fans probably 40% each for their top two classes and maybe 20% mostly family and friends for the third class.

Myself I don't usually go without the Sprints, Midgets have become a crap shoot anymore. One show will have 40 plus, the next 14. Midget weeks have been great, Sprints are on the card and I can't blame a track for bringing its second class in on it as well. Thats a quarter of the fans!, Sprints are a quarter of the fans and Midget week followers half.

Same goes for LM's unless your a normal LM track, You show up and your lucky to know who a quarter of the cars are. I used to know em all because they raced weekly at my local track and a couple bigger shows a year brought in the stars from elsewhere. In reality Mods have taken the place of LM's in Indiana except maybe brownstown and they are getting cost prohibitive as well.

I don't know what to do with the cost of Midget racing, Some say the small tracks are the answer, I say a compression limit. You need to be able to have motors last 20-30 races between overhauls and not go bang a couple times a year. They could race the bigger tracks with that model as well.

I think Montpelier has a good start, If someone would pick up and set a series schedule with maybe two Montpelier and one or two other IN/Western Ohio tracks per month such as what Nammars did, I think it could grow.

Charles Nungester
4 Likes: cwfan08, DAD, dkdorkboy, jdull99
jjones752 (Offline)
  #38 1/11/15 9:29 AM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:

Quinn is exactly right. We love midgets. The problem is, There hasn't been steady midget racing in indiana since 16th closed and Nammars folded. There hasn't been several shows at each track since the mid 70s. Honestly, If you don't follow them regularly, Your only going to know the sprint drivers who are driving midgets. Even if you do keep up. You haven't seen the stars much, How often in Indiana/OH do you see the Felkers and other Powri Guys running? Only if they hold a show and only if that show gets run (Weather)

What Im saying is, Scheduling a midget show and expecting both good car count and fan count is at minimal A RISKY move in areas that don't have it regularly.
Each track has a core group of fans probably 40% each for their top two classes and maybe 20% mostly family and friends for the third class.

Myself I don't usually go without the Sprints, Midgets have become a crap shoot anymore. One show will have 40 plus, the next 14. Midget weeks have been great, Sprints are on the card and I can't blame a track for bringing its second class in on it as well. Thats a quarter of the fans!, Sprints are a quarter of the fans and Midget week followers half.

Same goes for LM's unless your a normal LM track, You show up and your lucky to know who a quarter of the cars are. I used to know em all because they raced weekly at my local track and a couple bigger shows a year brought in the stars from elsewhere. In reality Mods have taken the place of LM's in Indiana except maybe brownstown and they are getting cost prohibitive as well.

I don't know what to do with the cost of Midget racing, Some say the small tracks are the answer, I say a compression limit. You need to be able to have motors last 20-30 races between overhauls and not go bang a couple times a year. They could race the bigger tracks with that model as well.

I think Montpelier has a good start, If someone would pick up and set a series schedule with maybe two Montpelier and one or two other IN/Western Ohio tracks per month such as what Nammars did, I think it could grow.
We may have been headed that direction last season with Gas City scheduled for around 10 Fridays and Montpelier 10 Saturdays Charles, but we all know how GC turned out. Car counts weren't stellar the 2 or 3 nights GC ran Midgets but I think if it hadn't been shuttered we may have gained traction, although weather played havoc with MMS' schedule as well.

Not that it's an answer for the "National" Midget dilemma, except to build a driver-fan base.

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
DAD (Offline)
  #39 1/11/15 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:

Charles

The resurgence of Midget Racing is all in your head. Head design that is. Guys keep getting more and more horsepower out of these little old antique boat anchors by putting bigger and bigger valves in their heads to the point that they had to make a bigger bore (increase bore spacing) to get even larger valve in them. The only problem is as these valves grow their mass grows also even when made out of un-obtanium they require very stiff valve springs to keep them in time with the camshaft and away from the piston.

There are some 2.5 liter through 3.5 liter motors out their right now that could fill the requirements of midget racing. The only problem is manufactures have moved on from the ancient 2 valve heads to 4 valve heads. The paranoid racers and ruling bodies have placed unfair limitations on them I guess out of fear of the future. That little Echotec is one example. The head on that thing won't win any awards for design but it is light years ahead of a stock Pinto head. The little v6 Ford Duratec has a head that could produce exceptional air flow with just a little massaging on a stock head casting.

It still won't be cheap but at least a few more "sane and prudent" owners might stay in the game of Midget Racing.

Honest Dad himself
2 Likes: jjracer636, Wayne Davis
Jim Gardner (Offline)
  #40 1/11/15 1:31 PM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
We may have been headed that direction last season with Gas City scheduled for around 10 Fridays and Montpelier 10 Saturdays Charles, but we all know how GC turned out. Car counts weren't stellar the 2 or 3 nights GC ran Midgets but I think if it hadn't been shuttered we may have gained traction
Gas City had 19 midgets (w/ Montpelier running the next night) when I was there the last week in July, and it rained all the way up I-69. For late in the first year of the experiment I hardly believe that car count disappointed anybody.

Jim Gardner
2 Likes: oldfan49, Wayne Davis